Zipper Repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
My son is borrowing my favorite Marmot jacket (moms are like that) until I am able to get his jacket repaired. Seems the zipper got caught in the jacket's fabric and when he yanked it, the zipper pull broke off.

Have any of you tried those zipper repair kits that replace zipper pulls "without tools" or have recommendations on a place that is willing to just replace the pull and not the whole zipper? Or perhaps replacing the entire zipper would be more cost effective. Wish I had learned how to do it myself :rolleyes:, but am working on a number of other repair projects.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The first thought that came to mind is a light guage zip tie. But that's my answer to most of life's problems.

Can you snake a zip tie through the eyelet and cinch it up?

Unfortunately, it is the whole zipper connection. Wishing it was just the pull tab.

Take it to a shoe repair or a tailor. They shouldn't charge much and it will be done right. Not having seen the zipper you may be able to squeeze the zip back on with pliers?

Replacing the whole zipper is a last resort

Most zipper pulls (or the entire slider/pull) can be replaced. Take it to a fabric store and ask for help. They sell zipper repair kits for a few $ with assorted parts that will be handy for the future. If you don't feel up to the task, ask if they know someone who can do it for a nominal fee.

You can likely replace the whole slider by either:
1. Breaking off the one that is there, or removing it by expanding the "gap" with a screwdriver head or pliers. Then place on a new one that has been "expanded" to fit over the teeth, and then compressed back to the right thickness. This can be tricky and may take a few tries to adjust properly.

2. You can slide the pull up to the top (one side - while unzippered) and see if you can get the pull off in order to put a new one on. You may need to remove the "stop" at the top. Your "kit" will include some crimp on stops that can be put on to replace what you took off.

Lots of zippers can be repaired this way. They may not look perfect, but for tents, sleeping bags, gaitors & backpacks, it can save big $. A little spray of silicone also helps a sticky zipper and extends life.

Take it to a shoe repair or a tailor. They shouldn't charge much and it will be done right. Not having seen the zipper you may be able to squeeze the zip back on with pliers?

My strong-armed son yanked the zipper so hard it cracked apart.

A little spray of silicone also helps a sticky zipper and extends life.
Not sure I'd want to spray something like silicone on a sleeping bag/garment--it will soak into the fabric and filling. (Liquid silicone can also attract dirt and grit.) Rubbing a bit of wax on the zipper might be a better idea.

Doug

2. You can slide the pull up to the top (one side - while unzippered) and see if you can get the pull off in order to put a new one on. You may need to remove the "stop" at the top. Your "kit" will include some crimp on stops that can be put on to replace what you took off.
This is SO easy.

Take a good coat with a zipper on it. With the two sides NOT connected, slide the thingamajig up to the top. Then look at why it didn't come off. There is either a melted nub which you can cut off, some threadding which can be cut, or a little metal thingy which can be removed.

Once you take that off, a new thingamajig (slider?) can just be put on.

More complicated with pit-zips because the zipper is closed at both ends, but on a coat it was even easy enough for me to do it.

Oxidation

Lots of zipper could get fuzed in by oxidation. If that happens there is very little help AFAIK

This is SO easy.

Take a good coat with a zipper on it. With the two sides NOT connected, slide the thingamajig up to the top. Then look at why it didn't come off. There is either a melted nub which you can cut off, some threadding which can be cut, or a little metal thingy which can be removed.

So if I can't find a kit, I could steal a co-worker's coat and take the zipper apart. Just kidding. I could conceivably buy a zipper of the same size and take the slider off it and reuse it. Brilliant!

So if I can't find a kit, I could steal a co-worker's coat and take the zipper apart. Just kidding. I could conceivably buy a zipper of the same size and take the slider off it and reuse it. Brilliant!
I know that here, at MEC they sell just the sliding thingy for (I think) $0.50. You don't even need a kit.

But the stealing one from a co-worker. I'm sure you've got some people you work with who NEVER zip their sweater/coat closed. They'd never miss it.

It is important that the thingy is the right size.

But the stealing one from a co-worker. I'm sure you've got some people you work with who NEVER zip their sweater/coat closed. They'd never miss it.

So true. And they are also the ones that complain about the weather. But don't get me started...I love all of my woe-workers. I mean co-workers. ;)

The hard part could be finding a slider to match the zipper...

(For those who haven't looked, zippers come in a variety of types and sizes.)

Doug

This is SO easy.

Once you take that off, a new thingamajig (slider?) can just be put on.

More complicated with pit-zips because the zipper is closed at both ends, but on a coat it was even easy enough for me to do it.

Well said! :)

If it is a YKK or a Talon or an Ideal brand zipper it will say on the back of the pull what size it is.

There are generally 3 types of zipper pulls for 3 types of zipper tape.
Vislon zippers have individually moulded plastic teeth.
Coil zippers have a continuous coil of nylon.
Metal zips have individual metal teeth.

If it is a coil zipper, you can pull off the top stop on the side that should have the pull on it, replace it with a pull that fits, check to make sure it works, and then either replace the stop, or just sew a few wraps around the teeth and tape with thread and needle to prevent the slider from coming off.

If it is a Vislon zipper, you can heat the 'tab' on the top a bit, smoothe out the little nub that prevents the slider from coming off, replace the slider and then reheat and make another little 'tab' to prevent the slider from coming off.

Any tailor shop, or most dry cleaners should have extra zipper pulls to sell.
Just make sure you bring the coat in to match up the correct pull to the correct zipper. The brands will differ in pulls, and in sizing.

Oh, forgot, if it is a reverse zipper, or a waterproof zipper the pulls will be different also.

May need to go to an REI or and EMS or similar place if it is one of those. They should carry extra pulls for sale.

The pulls are made in 'reverse' for those types of coil zippers.