Groundhog's Day Storm, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sleet and freezing rain on top of 2 inches of sleet from last night and 5 inches of powder from yesterday morning...on top of the (easily) 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 feet of snow still on the ground from previous storms. I shoveled my roof on Sunday (first time for that) and I'm glad I did. I had 8' high piles of snow at the end of my driveway last week that I had to get on top of and shovel into the yard so we could see down the road. :rolleyes:

:) Not complaining though. Plenty of local snowshoeing and skiing opps here this winter.

About 8" in Gorham NH at 1400 feet at 11:15 AM. Main roads are clear down to pavement, side road ins good shape. Not a lot of folks out except for plow trucks.

The snow is definitely low moisture content powdery stuff so far.

In SE CT - A little sleet then freezing rain & rain before it stopped around noon. Trees bent but nothing broke yet. Wind is supposed to pick up when cold front comes through. Got about 3" of sleet on 2/1.

Next batch due on Saturday. An early Spring, ha, what wine goes good with broiled Ground Hog. (make that baked, the gas grill in surrounded by 3' of snow, not including what I shoveled off the deck & roof.)

Last edited:
Quite a nice winter we're having. Even here on the Maine coast the snow has been predominantly a very light powder. Stacks high, easy to clear and ideal for walking. Packs nice with no ice!

Next batch due on Saturday. An early Spring, ha, what wine goes good with broiled Ground Hog. (make that baked, the gas grill in surrounded by 3' of snow, not including what I shoveled off the deck & roof.)

I think Phil will say anything so those guys in the stupid hats will leave him alone.

I think there was about 8 inches of accumulated powder at Bretton Woods today, but it was hard to tell since I didn't stop much. :D

Groundhog's Day Storm. What have you got on the ground?

Green grass and blooming flowers, quite the contrast to the the Kilkenny Ridge Trail on Saturday. :D (Nice to meet you on Cabot, Paradox!)

Made it back to the land of sun and swaying palm trees yesterday. Airline tried to reroute me through O'Hare (umm... Hell-OOOooo?) :confused: but I insisted and persisted and got a flight through Atlanta instead.

Some folks at the gym this morning were complaining of the "cold." It is in the 60s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

snowing light to moderate in Meredith at present

very light fluffy snow..really blew around today

3 inches yesterday..around 10 so far today on the recently shoveled back deck

while it was nasty mid day the roads are cleared and i stopped at Lagos for a glass of wine (or 2) on the way home...bring it on...

Here in southern, western new york the forecast was for up to 18". I made sure any setting snow was out of the way... and what came was a couple inches of granular snow, followed by icy rain that totally screwed up everything - followed by maybe 3-4" of fluff. I should have left it alone... I couldn't get under the compacted ice/snow, so there it sits!

Until this... we have had an awesome winter of light, velvety snow. :cool:

Lake George, NY area got about a foot, with a little freezing rain mix toward the end, but not enough to really make a crust. So the snow is good in the Adirondacks!

Some folks at the gym this morning were complaining of the "cold." It is in the 60s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I guess its all relative. One morning after a snowfall of 5 inches, I was clammering my way up MT.Dana in Yosemite, when i ran into some California dudes descending, they told me " dude conditions are too tough, snow covering the rocks and high winds" yes there was snow covering the rocks and the winds where brisk "about25mph", but after assaulting Washington for 20 years it really did feel like california to me.:eek:

We got about 8-9" of light snow in Lyme, NH. No sleet.

And now the sun is out. I think it is time to abandon the computer and get outside to enjoy it!