Winters of the Future

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
When winter sports equipement go on sale in March..snatch it up sounds like we will need them for future winters.

All Hail Boreas (sp intended;))

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/45220/bastardi-three-of-next-five-wi-1.asp
In Summary

Overall, Bastardi is predicting three or four of the next five winters to be colder than normal for much of the U.S., based on trends observed in La Niñas throughout history.

He is concerned that, amid the current recession, more colder-than-normal conditions in the winters ahead will put extra financial strain on families in the form of higher heating bills.

Bastardi is also predicting the long-term climate to turn colder over the next 20 to 30 years with global temperatures, as measured by satellite, returning to levels they were at in the late 1970s.

So much for global warming.

I saw a woman "gearing up" for a snowshoe hike at one of our town's open spaces this past weekend...with snowshoes barely bigger than her boots :eek: and over-heard another woman at church talking loud and happy about "going to get snowshoes today at Bob's"...all good, but nice to already have the gear and know how to use it. Three years ago I grabbed 4 pair of entry level Tubbs at our Church's annual "Barn Sale" for about $50 total, brand new, a family had bought and never used. I sold 3 pair on ebay, kept one pair, and used the proceeds to buy my son a guitar he had hoped to find at the Barn Sale :). Keep an eye open for that "used once" gear this Spring !

So much for global warming.
Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion.

When the Arctic freezes over again, glaciation begins to increase, and a whole host of other world-wide trends are reversed, and thousands of climate scientists concur, then maybe I'll agree with you. Until then, the pronouncements of one weatherman don't impress me.

An increase in global temperature means air is able to carry more moisture. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Keep an eye open for that "used once" gear this Spring !

Good point. Brian and I found a pair of snowshoes at the town dump's sharing room. They're not great, but are nice to have as something to share with someone just getting started. I, too, will be on the lookout for something nicer at yard sales.

A prediciton of colder winters in our hemisphere and global warming are not mutually exclusive. Bastardi is not making any claims about AGW in his article.

I am just staying Swix, Fisher and Acme snow removal maybe the hot stock tip of the day,

A prediciton of colder winters in our hemisphere and global warming are not mutually exclusive. Bastardi is not making any claims about AGW in his article.
It is still just one man's [hopefully educated] guess. We will see what reality brings.

Climate modeling suggests that as AGW proceeds, some places will get wetter and some drier. Some may also get colder. And, of course, there will be a lot of short-term variation.

Kevin is correct--warmer temps increase the total amount of moisture transport which can result in more total precipitation and stronger hurricanes etc. (The energy that drives hurricanes comes from warm ocean water.)

Doug

Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion.

When the Arctic freezes over again, glaciation begins to increase, and a whole host of other world-wide trends are reversed, and thousands of climate scientists concur, then maybe I'll agree with you. Until then, the pronouncements of one weatherman don't impress me.

An increase in global temperature means air is able to carry more moisture. It's not rocket science.

In addition, I've been doing some reading about how the increased open water around the arctic with actually increase the strength of the continental arctic highs, and produce more winters with the blocking pattern schemes that we are seeing this winter.

Maybe.

Again, the fact is that climate change is occurring. How it will affect YOU is a bit tougher to tell!

Funny how his winter 2010-2011 forecast back in October was not completely accurate for New England.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/40340/accuweathercom-winter-forecast-1.asp

Joe Bastardi has a B.S. meteorology degree from Penn State, which has a fine meteorology program. However, despite not having a background in climate science, also a major strength at Penn State, Bastardi is one of the world's most outspoken deniers of AGW.

http://climateprogress.org/2011/01/17/joe-bastardi-wager-global-warming-arctic-sea-ice/

However, despite not having a background in climate science, also a major strength at Penn State, Bastardi is one of the world's most outspoken deniers of AGW.

http://climateprogress.org/2011/01/17/joe-bastardi-wager-global-warming-arctic-sea-ice/

Dr D thanks for the legwork. Accuweather has a section on Global Warming on thier website. Data is posted and discussed without all of the "denier-alarmist" bickering.

I am suprised that Bastardi could hold his position of long term forecaster with only a BS in meteorology and no credentials in climatology.

At any rate I will try to see if others concur with his predictions.

I am suprised that Bastardi could hold his position of long term forecaster with only a BS in meteorology and no credentials in climatology.

He can be quite a showman. I haven't watched his snippets in a few years, but when I did - they were always entertaining. I can't say I ever paid too much attention to the content of them as the ones I watched tended to be long range, and those tend to be about as reliable as a cloudy crystal ball under the best of circumstances, no matter who makes the prognostications.

He creates controversy, and controversy and alarmism in the media means $$$ to the network. It's just the way it is. No point in lamenting the obvious. The effort is better spent in becoming a more discerning viewer.

someone once said that predicting the weather was like...well...like predicting the weather! just think..in 10,000 years we will all know what the weather was like the last 10,000 years. it makes great conversation though!

As I think through this I imagine as the polls warm up a few degrees the air would expand and move toward the equator. When people think of warmer they think above freezing. At the poles warming up is still sub zero. :eek: We don't think in terms of sub zero temps rising as warming up. So when the warmer air (but still frightfully cold) expands and moves south it is pushing very very cold air toward us with more moisture.

Doug?

Last edited:
He creates controversy, and controversy and alarmism in the media means $$$ to the network. It's just the way it is. No point in lamenting the obvious. The effort is better spent in becoming a more discerning viewer.

Bastardi creates alarmism?! He's a "denier". How is downplaying the theoretical global destruction of AGW considered alarmism?

So, movies like "Inconvenient Truth" or "Day After Tomorrow" ( or whatever they're called ) showing planet-wide environmental destruction and economic disaster are not alarmist, but downplaying these theories is alarmist? Forecasting devastating storms and rising oceans and dustbowls and softball-sized hail and a flash-frozen America is not alarmism, but downplaying it is alarmism?

not championing any side here, just reading and thinking...

Here is an op ed piece on climate science published this past week in the Waltham News Tribune, one of the nation's leading newspapers. At least Joe Bastardi has a degree in meteorology, which John Coleman does not. However, climate science and meteorology have very little in common, other than both fields concern the same variables, such as temperature, precipitation, etc.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...&p_theme=gatehouse&s_site=WMTB&p_product=WMTB

I thought doomsday was 12/20/2012!!!

Can the Aztecs be wrong????

What gear will we need to survive that? Or better yet, who will want to survive?

I've tried several times to care about global warming, and I've failed every time. I just don't care about it. I used to work as a chemist, now I work as an engineer, so I have a pretty good respect for and interest in science. But global warming just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the players involved. On one side you have the global warming pimps, such as the distinguished gentleman from Tennessee. He's turned scaring people into quite a lucrative business for himself. On the other side you have people who are just as stupid as he is. These are the one's who, every time they reach for the snow shovel, say things like, "Gotta love that global warming, huh?" But they're not kidding. They think a few feet of snow disproves the theory of global warming. In the middle of those two pathetic extremes are some pretty smart scientists who simply disagree. That's another interesting thing....some people are actually bothered that scientists can disagree and have a rigorous debate about global warming...they have to start name-calling. Funny, that. Gotta go...time to watch "Lie to Me".

Reactions: dug