Alex Takes a Break (Literally)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut, pasted, and edited from our hiking blog, http://trishandalex.blogspot.com
Accompanying pictures and additional text can be found there.

On January 26, Alex performed a specific jump in her gymnastics class and landed the wrong way, fracturing her tibia. Unfortunately, the fracture extends into a growth plate.

Treatment is blessedly simple and relatively short. We had the option of going with a wrap-around external brace or a full-length leg cast. I chose the cast, since there is no way on earth this kid can keep her joints from twisting without forced immobilization. The day after her injury she was chasing after Sage...I need duct tape to keep Alex still for more than five minutes.

The cast will stay on for three weeks, then she will wear a walking brace. I was told that she should make a full recovery by summer at the latest. The fine doctors at Boston's Children's Hospital know of Alex's hiking accomplishments and they were very reassuring about her future. She will need to have yearly x-rays throughout her childhood so that the doctors can continually assess her growth plate situation, but all should eventually be well.

Alex is in good spirits for now, but I do fear the novelty of the cast will wear off after a few days. I'll do my best to keep her spirits high. She's an optimistic and fun-loving kid with a great sense of humor, so I'm going to try to make the next few weeks as silly as possible.

Here's a close-up of her multi-colored, psychedelic Gore Tex cast...

...and a close-up of her new multi-colored, psychedelic hair...

By summer we should be out on the trails again, and next winter we should finish up the winter 4Ks, assuming Alex's leg is completely healed and the doctors give her the green light.

Stay healthy, everyone.
Trish

Last edited:
Trish, so sorry to hear about Alex but I expect she will be fine and probably sooner than you think. My son broke his tibia right above the ankle last year at the end of January skiing and we were pounding it hiking by late spring. Actually, he got out on the slopes the first weekend of April. The only issue is that this makes for a long end of winter for you. How good are TrishandAlex at jigsaw puzzles?

Eddie, thanks for the well-wishes, and it's good to hear about your son's quick recovery.

Hugh and I are now planning a highpointing trip to Hawaii for the end of March or the beginning of April. This gives Alex (and Sage) something to look forward to and a continuing sense of accomplishment. By the end of March, Alex should be out of casts and braces and will probably be gently walking. Hawaii is a drive-up, so the highpoint itself shoudn't stress the knee. Planning the trip and thinking about it should take the edge off her current state of immobility.

Poor Alex! I would hate to have to lay low for weeks on end...she has my sympathy.

But I love the hair!
-vegematic

Well she certainly looks as cool as ever. Sorry to hear about your injury, Alex. Here's to a speedy recovery. Those mountains will wait for you.

(From a long time follower of VFTT and your blog, but only recently established official member) - best wishes for a speedy recovery Alex! The mountains will be there after you heal and I'm sure you'll be back on the trails in no time :)

Sarah (and Hannah)

Last edited:
OOPS! Temporary set back

:eek:Bummer Alex:
Cheer up Trish she will heal very quickly,after all we are talking about Alex here, and NOTHING holds her back:)
Love the hair and cast.:cool:

Trish, I hope that Alex sets a new world record for a speedy recovery, and that each day brings her more strength, and bigger smiles!

Poor Alex. And poor you having to try to keep her tied down. Very cool cast (which she's clearly going to have fun showing off) and very cool hair (ditto). She'll be easy to spot on the trail when she gets back - and I'm sure that won't be to far off.

Alex has something to say:

Thank you. I like what you all said. That makes me feel nice. Love, Alex. :)

Thanks for your well wishes, everyone! Hikes with Hanna, Alex is honored to be the subject of your first post -- welcome to VFTT!

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about Alex. That's a nasty "break" for the both of you. I can only imagine who difficult it will be for Alex during the down time.

I'll bet thought that Max will be a big distraction for her during this time.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Alex, learning to be patient can be the hardest thing in the world. What I do is to make sure I think often about the fun I'll be having very soon. Make sure you take lots of cool cast pictures to remember it in the future. Very few good hikers get to spend their hiking careers without a few breaks and sprains!

My daughter Molly fractured the growth plate on her tibia too, only it was up near her knee. The recovery was fast. Cast to brace to nothing in a matter of weeks.
She is now 16 and I think, has reached her adult height. There is no difference between her legs, and she is as active as she wants to be.
Kids heal with lightening speed. It is just not fair to us old people!!
Best,
Sandy

Alex's words first:

Thank you everyone. That's nice of you. My cast is doing very well and I'm getting kind of used to using the crutches.

Now, my words:

So sorry to hear about Alex. That's a nasty "break" for the both of you. I can only imagine who difficult it will be for Alex during the down time.

Thanks, Ed. Alex was chipper during the first few days, but now the novelty has worn off and she's having a difficult time. Plus, her arms, chest and right leg are now sore from overcompensating for her left leg. I think I'm soon going to break the one-movie-a-week rule and pop in the entire Harry Potter series just to keep Alex in one place for a while so her body can rest.

Crazy cool cast Alex! You're rockin' it :)

Thanks, DR. People give positive comments on her cast all the time, and it makes her feel a little bit better.

Alex, learning to be patient can be the hardest thing in the world. What I do is to make sure I think often about the fun I'll be having very soon.

Hi Audrey, Alex is definitely being forced to learn patience! I'm trying to ease her mind by planning hiking and highpointing trips for the spring, summer and fall. First on the list is Hawaii in late April or early May. Thinking about that helps a lot. :)

My daughter Molly fractured the growth plate on her tibia too, only it was up near her knee. The recovery was fast. Cast to brace to nothing in a matter of weeks.
She is now 16 and I think, has reached her adult height. There is no difference between her legs, and she is as active as she wants to be.

Sandy, thank you. I'm glad your daughter healed well. Your words are a relief.

Last edited:
Whoa!!! Well, this a chapter in the story of a remarkable young lady. Good luck and well wishes for a speedy recovery. All the good ones fall along the way and just keep going. Alex will most certainly be back in the saddle.

Good luck, Alex!

UPDATE:

The cast is off and all looks well. Alex will wear a removable brace for a few weeks as she regains her strength, then she'll ease into her normal routine. The doctors predict she'll be completely back to her usual 4K hiking, karate kid self by late spring.

Pictorial documentation of the cast removal and x-ray process can be found at http://trishandalex.blogspot.com.

Many thanks for all the supportive posts and messages!

We've taken a few hikes this month, our last being a flat 5.2 miles along the Pemi East Side Trail. We'll soon add elevation. She's probably a few short weeks away from being her normal self. :)