campsite on MacIntyre Range Trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
On my old map there's a campsite on the MacIntyre Range Trail below the cut-off for Wright. I think I remember the sign, but have never camped there. Is it there ? At about what elevation ? Platforms or is it just a designated area ? thanks.

Hey Chip...
Yes, it's still there. I've never camped there myself, but I'm pretty sure it's just a designated site. I don't know the elevation, but it's pretty high up there IIRC. And as far as I know, there's still a sign.

The camping site is much lower than the Trail intersection for Wright, it is to the left two minutes after the Wright Ski Trail Intersection shortly before crossing MacIntyre Brook.

"Camping between 3500 and 4000 feet is allowed at designated sites only only. Currently Sno-Bird and Lake Arnold are the only deignated sites between these elevations. No Camping is permitted above 4000 feet at any time of year." Excerpt from ADK HP guide by Tony Goodwin.

... it is to the left ... shortly before crossing MacIntyre Brook..

thanks, that's good reference. I see that on my map now.

... "Camping between 3500 and 4000 feet is allowed at designated sites only only. Currently Sno-Bird and Lake Arnold are the only deignated sites between these elevations. No Camping is permitted above 4000 feet at any time of year." Excerpt from ADK HP guide by Tony Goodwin.

It looks like the brook crosses at about 3200', so it's possible to find a legal spot just past that, but probably not worth the effort. Especially around 1am. Hopefully we see the sign for the campsite.

Chip, what's the plan your thinking of that involves camping there? I always think to myself when going by, "why the hell would someone camp there?". I went by it around 2:30am late last winter and some folks were setting up camp, I later learned they were just trying to set up so they could catch sunrise on Algonquin.

After the Brook the trail climb steeply till way past the 3500 feet altitude. Soon after the ski trail there is a rather steep ledge I believe the camp site is soon after. Anyway the distance between The ski trail and the brook is very short and there was still a sign indicating the camping site on Friday.

Chip, what's the plan your thinking of that involves camping there? I always think to myself when going by, "why the hell would someone camp there?". I went by it around 2:30am late last winter and some folks were setting up camp, I later learned they were just trying to set up so they could catch sunrise on Algonquin.

Me and Puck are driving up Thursday after work and want to hike in to that site by headlamp and tent to be in position for an attempt on Iroquois, Algonquin and Wright on Friday sans full packs.

As I recall, the site isn't too hard to find. It's right in the vicinity of the MacIntyre Brook crossing/waterfall, as others have mentioned, which is a pretty obvious landmark itself.

We had plans to camp there once, but ended up going to the Western High Peaks instead (back in the fall of 2006!). I've always wanted to camp there, as it's a much higher campsite than most.

The best way to find it is to pass it and go back. It'll take 45-60 seconds.

Hit the brook then turn around. You are now heading back. While standing there, look to your right and look up. There is a flat area up there, and that is where the campsite is.

Start walking back looking for a path which goes up. Probably within a few hundred feet of the brook.

It'll be a lot faster than looking for a sign.

Actually if you feel like breaking a few more feet of trail once at the campsite you can go further to find a commemorative plaque:

Mid January, 1962, a plane with a four man crew crashed on Wright. A summit bronze plaque was erected at the approximate point of impact and a second bronze marker was erected at the back of the MacIntyre Falls campsite. A short herdpath leads away from the open camping rings through the woods to the site of this secluded monument.

Last Friday we could tell that campers had been there recently and Sunday the Loj area did not receive as much snow as other places, only a few inches.