A Reflection On the Mountains We All Love

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
I just finished reading Good Morning Midnight - the biography of Guy Waterman by Chip Brown - and came across the quote from Guy from Forrest and Crag. A great testament to these places that we all love so much.

"Whatever else, these hills of the Northeast have been and will be unfailingly interesting. Certainly they are small - absurdly small to be called mountains in comparison to the world's great ranges. But that smallness gives them their intimate connection to people. . . . The very scale of the world's big ranges limits the possibilities of human activity in them. Only the few well-trained mountaineers can make them their playground or experience their varied moods. But the hills of the Northeast - capable of savage ferocity on occasions but friendly and welcoming on others - are available to all who respond to the natural world. . . . Considering the scope, diversity and depth of their human relationships, these little hills may well be the most interesting mountains on the face of the earth."​

How true...

Forest And Crag was one of my favorite reads in the past few years. Luckily, I managed to find a used copy online, but... why is it not in print?

Hi Mark,

Great quote! I think I'm going to have to pick up Forest and Crag!

Karl

Forest And Crag was one of my favorite reads in the past few years. Luckily, I managed to find a used copy online, but... why is it not in print?

Good question. I first started reading it with copies in a couple of the AMC huts during some of our stays. Picked it up from the library to finish. Sad that it's out of print. Laura makes a statement in Losing the Garden to the effect that Guy was always afraid that their books (particularly Wilderness Ethics and Backwoods Ethics) didn't really make an impact - which is sad. They definitely had an impact on me and I hope on many others in the outdoors community. I need to find used copies for my library before they all disappear.

Nice.. did not know that Forest and Crag is out of print. I'm glad I have a very pristine copy at home cause I haven't had time to read it! I'll have to check it out sometime...

Jay

FOr a book that didnt make an impact, its surprising what the going rate is for used copies on the web. On Abe books, I see two well worn copies in the twnety to thirty dollar range, and good condition hard covers at $220 plus.

Nice.. did not know that Forest and Crag is out of print. I'm glad I have a very pristine copy at home cause I haven't had time to read it! I'll have to check it out sometime...

Jay

It is a tome. It is one of those books I wont read cover to cover but in parts as reference.

Ive climbed in the best ranges in the country, ( ok lower 48 ) and I have always felt fortunate to have grown up in the Whites. Guy understood as I do and many others, while small the Whites are a special place. The most special is the people who spend so much time in them and there deep seeded love for the mountains they tramp. While I dont know many, ok very few, people on this board, I run into people in the backcountry Ive been seeing on and off for many years and thier still out there. There not just mountains, there not just tree's, and the streams are not just water, they all emcompase, what some, hopefully many, realize is a magical place, where you can lose yourself and find yourself as you wish.

FOr a book that didnt make an impact, its surprising what the going rate is for used copies on the web. On Abe books, I see two well worn copies in the twnety to thirty dollar range, and good condition hard covers at $220 plus.

Considering the original "Tron" dvd was recently selling for nearly that much, Forest and Crag looks like a bargain ;). Amazon has some copies that look decent. One "collectible" for $75. I can't wait to complete my Edumacation so I can get back to some pleasure reading :rolleyes:.

That reminds me of a famous quote which gives indirect credit and appreciation to our northeastern hills; "...the elusive impressions and more subtle romance of our old and quiet hills".

Here's the full quote BY Geoffrey Winthrop Young;

A mountaineer may be satisfied to nurse his athletic infancy upon home rocks, and he may be happy to pass the later years of his experience among the more elusive impressions and more subtle romance of our old and quiet hills. But in the storm years of his strength he should test his powers, learn his craft and earn his triumphs in conflict with the abrupt youth and warlike habit of great glacial ranges.

Last edited:
"Whatever else, these hills of the Northeast have been and will be unfailingly interesting. Certainly they are small - absurdly small to be called mountains in comparison to the world's great ranges. But that smallness gives them their intimate connection to people. . . . The very scale of the world's big ranges limits the possibilities of human activity in them. Only the few well-trained mountaineers can make them their playground or experience their varied moods. But the hills of the Northeast - capable of savage ferocity on occasions but friendly and welcoming on others - are available to all who respond to the natural world. . . . Considering the scope, diversity and depth of their human relationships, these little hills may well be the most interesting mountains on the face of the earth." [/INDENT]

How true...

A very thoughtful quote - like it a lot and feel a strong connection to the introspection the words embody.

Not so much the Waterman book. Now I know what to do with mine. :eek:

"Whatever else, these hills of the Northeast have been and will be unfailingly interesting. Certainly they are small - absurdly small to be called mountains in comparison to the world's great ranges. But that smallness gives them their intimate connection to people. . . . The very scale of the world's big ranges limits the possibilities of human activity in them . . ."
The Whites are certainly a very cozy mountain range as compared to the larger ranges. It's sort of like a small town where everything is within walking-distance!:)

Thanks Mark for posting that very fitting quote from Guy Waterman!

When I realized that this was out of print I went and looked for used copies myself this morning and was equally amazed by the prices! I think I lucked out finding one of the 1989 hardcover editions in "almost new" condition for $27. The prices for the newer edition paperback version are insane! Glad that I have a copy for the "hiking bookshelf" now.

Read F&C a couple of years ago. Good story.

Thanks for posting that quote - it is so very true. These little mountains contain much, much more than meets the casual observer's eye.

I read Good Morning Midnight last year. I thought it a very interesting book, though the author seemed to get a bit caught up in his own philosophy and opinion of Guy's life. I would have much enjoyed more stories pertaining to Guy's off-trail adventures, which were sadly lacking in the story. Of course, there was some great reading here, especially the chapter devoted to Johnny and his solo attack of Mount Hunter.

It goes in and out of printing. I got a softcover version at Barnes and Nobles about 5 years ago, brand new, fresh printing, $25. Sentimentality aside the reason is that it really only has a limited appeal to a "niche" group, thus it would not be profitable for a publisher to keep it in continuous publication.

Brian

I found a nice copy for free at the recycling room of the Kennebunk Transfer Station (dump). After reading these posts I realize what a valuable find it is.

Other books by Guy & Laura

The appreciation we feel for the Watermans' many contributions and insights on wild places is well understood on this forum, and beyond. I would like to call the reader's attention to their other books Backwoods Ethics and Wilderness Ethics. For us trail maintainers in particular, the chapter in Backwoods Ethics about their experiences as adopters of Franconia Ridge Trail in the late 1970s after the AMC paid seasonal crew built the scree walls in the alpine zone are still very relevant today in terms of the interaction between hiker psychology and the alpine zone. They spent many hours quietly observing hiker behavior so they could modify the trail fixtures to better protect that area from hiker impact. If you tend a trail in the alpine zone, their hard-won insights are priceless.
Creag nan Drochaid