Harriman trailhead parking / snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the trailhead parking where the Ramapo-Dunderberberg crosses Rt. 106 SW of Kanawauke (Little Long Pond) is sufficiently clear of snow to park there?

-Dana

Is that by Tom Jones Mtn? Is Rt 106 one of those roads that isn't maintained in winter? If it is not maintained, then doubt they would plow out that big lot there... I don't recall if that is one of the unmaintained roads or not... maps not in front of me...

maybe BanjoLady will post here, you might want to PM her, she's local to Harriman :)

Jay

Yes, Tom Jones. Lake Welch Drive is closed for the winter and there was talk of closing parts of Seven Lakes Drive, but 106 is always plowed; it's a county road and the rangers live at Kanawauke and Stahahe year round. I know the parking lot for the boat launch and museum across from the Kanawauke ranger's house is plowed now so I could park there, but that's farther away from where I'm going.

hi--yes i am local to harriman-im there almost every day. 106 is plowed but as of last week the RD parking lot was not plowed. however the white bar trailhead parking was plowed, there were a bunch of cars there when i drove by on sunday. skanatati is plowed as well. depending on whether u want to go N or S on the RD, either park at WB 106 and take nurian to RD/black rock and head up north or south from there, or u can park at johnsontown to take blue disc to lk skenonto and parker cabin/tom jones area, or go from kanawaukee. havea great hike

Well, there was room for two cars at the Tom Jones trailhead... and enough ice under the snow to get my 4WD truck (and the Saab that was parked next to me) quite firmly stuck. Took several hours of digging, and a tow strap from a car on the dry pavement, to get us out. Shoulda parked at the Kanawauke boat launch.

yes, skanatati or white bar are good. kanawauke would req road walking or bushwacking to get to any packed down trails. well, weather is warming and these issues might be moot in a few days...hope u had a good hike anyway

Yes, it was a good weekend... packed trails don't matter, with snowshoes the crust was like a [slippery] highway in all directions... I grew up in these hills, don't really worry about trails...

Parking at Harriman State Park

I'm finding the parking at Harriman State Park very limited this year after large snow storms. You can count on finding parking at Silvermine on Seven Lakes Road and Bear Montain parking lot next to the inn and skating rink. If the road is closed parking will not be available. I'm certain the state is on a shoe string budget and it shows when lots that have been plowed in past years are not this year.