How much do you spend per year in NH subject to rooms and meals tax?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much money do you spend in NH subhect to rooms and means tax (per year)?

• Less than $25

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • $25 to $100

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • $100 to $250

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • $250 to $1000

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • $1000 or more

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In the Proposed fees for Search and Rescue in NH thread, among others, the question is asked about rooms and meals taxes funding SAR as part of the tourist state. This idea is not new and has been rejected by the politicians before.

My question is simple. How much money do you spend per year subject to rooms and meals taxes as a result of hiking?

Tim

It's rare that I don't at least grab a bite to eat after a hike.

And even when I'm not buying a sandwich, meal or tasty beverage, I'm buying gas and maybe a bag of chips and a drink for the road. That may not contribute to the meals and lodging tax haul, but it does put money into the state economy (income for Irving, supports jobs for the people who work there...).

Last edited:
I live in NH, never eat out, never stay out overnight except for backwoods camping. Probably less than $10 tax on fast food.

I have my own personalized mug at the Woodstock Inn*, so umm.. I can only guess its in one of the higher categories ;)

*joining the mug club gets you reduced price beer for the rest of your life

I think that a lot of visitors buy gas here - it's cheaper than in the Boston area. I almost always buy gas in Ashland as it's convenient and cheaper than anywhere else.

I definitely average well under $100/yr in rooms and meals purchases while hiking (in NH). Of course I live here so there is rarely a need for a motel. I did it once to save 300 miles of driving, but my family was at my mother-in-law's so I didn't need to get home either.

The idea that the state doesn't support F&G is not new. Likewise the state parks are all self-funded.

My curiosity was to guesstimate the average rooms and meals contribution per hiker.

Tim

Two or three nights at Shapleigh, about the same at the Conway Hostel & night or two in Gorham. Always get gas in Concord, Manchester or Nashau. Always a dinner & breakfast too.

Also do some travel for work in NH too.

I voted "less than $25" and it's probably very close to zero. Like Quietman I live in the region (albeit, in far western Maine) so I either go home at night to sleep and eat or I'm camping out with food I brought with me.

Most of what little tax I pay to NH occurs when I'm doing my household grocery shopping or Christmas shopping

I guess I'm not a very good tourist, huh?
-vegematic

I'll often stop to eat after hiking and probably spend 4 or 5 nights a year in a hotel in the area. I often sleep in the back of my truck but if I'm hiking with my brother or in the area with my wife they require a bit more comfort.:rolleyes:

I only get up to NH about twice a year to do some hiking. So when I go I like to spend either a long weekend or a full week. I also like to have a roomy cabin. Count me in as part of the $1K or more group.

I live in Madison, never rent rooms. I do spend $ in restaurants as a direct result from hiking, i.e., chow down after a hike and enjoy some craft brew...apres hike as I call it :)

As a NH resident, I spend a lot for restaurants and bars over the year. So, it's in the $250-1000 category, possibly higher. HOWEVER, I spend close to $0 of that related to hiking. I can't think of the last time we went out after hiking in NH, instead have a beer and a bite in the parking lot before heading home on most occasions.

I'm with you Chris - I spend the money but not because of hiking. I asked this question in the first place to see if rooms and meals taxes would target hikers in a way that we could argue they should / could support F&G and SAR operations. I am actually surprised that the $ amounts are as high as they are. Not that this forum is representative of the WMNF hiking public in general, or the person in need of SAR.

I realized after starting the poll that it doesn't account for hiker visits (I asked annually), which is likely a stat that NH has, so it would be hard to extrapolate the rooms and meals tax contribution based solely on hiking.

Tim

I realized after starting the poll that it doesn't account for hiker visits (I asked annually), which is likely a stat that NH has, so it would be hard to extrapolate the rooms and meals tax contribution based solely on hiking.

Tim

As I mentioned in the other thread, thought, anything based "soley on hiking" is problematic. Not everyone who winds up needing help while on a hiking trail is a "hiker" in the same sense that most of us would see ourselves. Forget the percentage of tourists who come to NH to hike, what percentage of people come to NH to have fun, maybe enjoy the outdoors, and wind up doing a little hiking as a part of that?

(I don't mean to ignore NH residents, just trying to make a point)

Well, I topped out! :D

In recent years (since the purchase of a permanent "base camp-er" (NOT a trailer :p) I'm spending less on rooms but plenty on meals as I can now spend MORE time and MORE money in NH.

Lets not forget the gear that many hikers chose to buy in NH to avoid sales tax.
(fodder for another poll)