Trash on Twin/Leave No Trace

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from a fall folliage kayak on the Rio Reservoir (Orange/Sullivan county, NY) and picked up a bunch of trash from the launch site... The Rio is a beautiful gem of a lake/reservoir with only one private beach club on the island. it's also an Eagle habitat though I didn't see any today. Anyway, picked up a 6 pack of Bud bottles, numerous other trash on the way out. What's even better is that we're not only taking trash, I recycle the bottles I find.

What is truly sad as far as lakes go, is the hundreds of syrofoam and plastic bait cups that fishermen leave on the shore... Very annoying cause I can't conceivable pick them all up myself unless I want to spent all my time kayaking picking up trash cause having to land, get out, pick up can, relaunch is time consuming. I did manage to pick one of them out that was floating. Why is it so hard for the damm fisherman to pack out their bait containers.. :mad: ?

Jay

I'm born again!

In the past, though not liking to see trash on the trail,like Mrs. G, I was grossed out by actually picking it up (unless it was an empty bottle or something relatively clean like that). Upon reading this thread I promise I will start doing so immediately. Starting with my hike today!
ecc

Whine, whine, whine!

OK, you convinced me. I typically find myself disgusted at the litterbugs and I remind myself that I should bring a trash bag next time. Because I read this thread before hiking, I did bring one this time. I ended up picking up a fair amount of trash, including what I think was a frozen butt-wipe.

One item I picked up was a bunch of white powder, double bagged! Even though I was sure it was powdered milk, I actually considered turning in at a local police station. Better to get a couple sideways glances at the station than to try to explain to a NH trooper. (I'm from Masssachusetts, and my driving shows it)

"Honest, Officer! I found it at the side of the trail!"

Could of been powdered milk or it could have been like powdered gatorade (or something in the same category)...

Only one way to find out.... ;)

Jay