A Trek to "Willey Pond" with a Couple of Add-ons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 16-Feb-2011

The name "Willey Pond" of course is the old name for what is now known as Ethan Pond. It was eventually renamed as a tribute to Ethan Allen Crawford who reportedly discovered the pond in 1829 while setting a trap-line. The trek that my friend Steve and I made to Ethan Pond certainly didn't involve anything remotely related to trapping, unless you include our ensnarement in a couple of spruce traps during the off-trail portion of our adventure!:rolleyes:

We began our trek at the Ethan Pond trailhead off Rt. 302 in Crawford Notch. After a short road-walk up the Willey House Station Road, we came to railroad tracks and got a nice glimpse of the south-facing end of Mt. Willey.
zVFTT1.jpg

After trekking 1.6 mile up the Ethan Pond Trail toward Mt. Willey, we would eventually be turning the corner at the base of the mountain and heading due west toward Ethan Pond and the west-facing slope of Mt. Willey. The first of our off-trail excursions was to visit a little pond just a bit east of Ethan Pond. Although it has no official name, some call it Lucy Pond in honor of Ethan Allen Crawford's wife. The view from the shore of Lucy Pond looking toward Mt. Willey was worth the minor inconvenience of falling into a relatively mild-mannered spruce trap during this short 5-minute off-trail trek.
zVFTT2.jpg

Once we got back onto the trail, it was a short journey to Ethan Pond. There was relatively no wind to speak of, which is a real treat. Oftentimes during the winter months, the wind coming across the pond can be brisk and very bone-chilling! But visiting this spot in winter is the best time (at least in my opinion). You can walk out onto the frozen pond and get some viewing perspectives that are unavailable during warm weather months.

zVFTT3.jpg

zVFTT4.jpg

After hanging out at the pond for awhile, we paid a brief visit to the shelter. Although it had quite a snow load on its roof, it seemed to be holding up just fine! I'm not a fisherman, but I am curious about something. I noticed a sign on the inside of the shelter that read something like this. "The taking of trout between two hours after sunset and one hour before sunrise is prohibited." Why is that?:eek:
zVFTT5.jpg

From the back of the shelter, we then launched our next off-trail adventure. Our destination was to one of the nearby talus fields that are located on the southwestern slope of Mt. Willey. There is a cluster of these rock-strewn fields located at about 3,000+ ft elevaton (see GoogleEarth snapshot below). The particular talus field that we visited was very near to one that I had visited during non-snow conditions. And in case you're curious as to what these talus fields look like without a snow cover, there is a snapshot that is included in a Trip Report that I filed for a summer trek to one of these boulder fields on the side of Mt. Willey.

zVFTT11.jpg

Although it's typical for a bushwhack, it's still sort of amazing (or amusing!) that our ascent to the talus field took just over 40 minutes, whereas our descent took just a tad over 15 minutes! In both directions, we managed to spring several spruce traps, but were able to extricate ourselves from each one with a modest amount of effort. And, if enduring spruce traps is the price of admission to the talus fields, it's a real bargain. The views from there are remarkable! The dominating view is the expansive vista toward peaks in the eastern Pemigewasset Wilderness with Ethan Pond in the foreground (snapshot below).
zVFTT7.jpg
And besides the view shown above, there are also nice southward views where the tops of peaks such as Mts. Carrigain, Bemis, Nancy are quite prominent.

After our visit to the talus field, we returned to Ethan Pond for one last look. Although sunset was still at least an hour and half away, there was a "sunset-like" appearance when we arrived at the shore of the pond.

zVFTT9.jpg

After lingering for a bit, we left the pond and headed back toward the trailhead. Not far from the junction with the Kedron Flume Trail, Steve just happened to spot a very old Appalachian Trail sign. It was very weathered, and had become partially encased by the tree where it had been mounted many decades ago.
zVFTT10.jpg

We arrived at the trailhead just slightly after the sun had set. We had managed to squeeze every ounce of sunlight out of this day.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Another great trip report, John! Looks like a fun snowshoeing trek. You're right, that is quite a load on that roof...seems to be doing better than many people's homes right now :).

Wonderful pictures as usual. I like the indication of the talus field on the Google map. I had no idea you could get a 3d rendering like that from Google. Very neat. Is this a talus field that you can see from 302? Or is it on the other side.

Thanks for sharing!
Karl

(QUOTE)"After hanging out at the pond for awhile, we paid a brief visit to the shelter. Although it had quite a snow load on its roof, it seemed to be holding up just fine! I'm not a fisherman, but I am curious about something. I noticed a sign on the inside of the shelter that read something like this. 'The taking of trout between two hours after sunset and one hour before sunrise is prohibited.' Why is that?:eek:"

It has been discovered that Trout like to go out and party at night so catching them when they are impaired would not be sportsmanlike.;) But seriously, Ethan Pond is a catch and return pond for fly fishing only. I would imagine that the AT Through Hikers who "would eat enything and everything" would break that rule fairly often. There are some pretty big fish in there.

Last edited:
It gets dark fast in the mtns, doesn't it? Esp when the skies cloud over. That section from Ethan, to Shoal Pond and over into Zealand Notch is my favorite part of the White Mtns. The trails are flat, and I can take in the scenery because I'm not struggling up a steep mountainside. Plus, it might only be 2500-2900 feet in elevation, but the feeling is much higher. Thanks for posting these pics!

A far nicer place to go in the winter than the summer. I seem to remember many sections of boggy areas from where the trail level offs off from the climb up out of crawford notch all the way over to the Shoal pond intersection.

John, Great photos. I love this area. Not all of the great views are at the 'top'
I have had gray jays and spruce grouse in that area fro the Pond cut off to Shoal Pond.

John, Great photos. I love this area. Not all of the great views are at the 'top'
I have had gray jays and spruce grouse in that area fro the Pond cut off to Shoal Pond.

You mean these guys?

from Ethan
774495751_iLumw-M.jpg

Or this guy, from Shoal area? Actually, this is where the grouseking name came from. ;) Though I guess being chased would not be a reason to be a king of them.

774496135_PHwgB-M.jpg

Wonderful pictures as usual. I like the indication of the talus field on the Google map. I had no idea you could get a 3d rendering like that from Google. Very neat. Is this a talus field that you can see from 302? Or is it on the other side.
Thanks for your reply Karl. Yup, the talus field we visited is on the southwesterly side of Mt. Willey which cannot be seen from Rt. 302.
(QUOTE)
1HappyHiker said:
I'm not a fisherman, but I am curious about something. I noticed a sign on the inside of the shelter that read something like this. 'The taking of trout between two hours after sunset and one hour before sunrise is prohibited.' Why is that?"
It has been discovered that Trout like to go out and party at night so catching them when they are impaired would not be sportsmanlike.;) But seriously, Ethan Pond is a catch and return pond for fly fishing only. I would imagine that the AT Through Hikers who "would eat enything and everything" would break that rule fairly often. There are some pretty big fish in there.
Yeh, those trout can be real party animals. They should really "scale" back!;):D
Kidding aside, thanks for your reply. Although it's not all that important to me, I still don't quite get it. What does being a "catch and return pond" have to do with restricting the taking of trout 2 hrs after sunset, and 1 hr before sunrise??
That section from Ethan, to Shoal Pond and over into Zealand Notch is my favorite part of the White Mtns. The trails are flat, and I can take in the scenery because I'm not struggling up a steep mountainside. Plus, it might only be 2500-2900 feet in elevation, but the feeling is much higher.
That area of the Whites if truly wild & wonderful! And, I agree . . . it does have a "higher feel" to it than the actual elevation.
A far nicer place to go in the winter than the summer. I seem to remember many sections of boggy areas from where the trail level offs off from the climb up out of crawford notch all the way over to the Shoal pond intersection.
Yup, there are boggy areas indeed! Yet another reason why it's a far nicer place to visit in the winter!
I love this area. Not all of the great views are at the 'top'
Wow! I'm not surprised at seeing spruce grouse in that area, but am a bit surprised about the gray jays! But, as grouseking confirmed with the photo he posted, they are there!
Winter is the only time I've been in the area between the Ethan Pond cut-off and Shoal Pond. I've not seen gray jays during my winter forays, which is NOT to say they aren't there. But, I'm curious if perhaps they only hang out in that area during the warm-weather months??

Wow! I'm not surprised at seeing spruce grouse in that area, but am a bit surprised about the gray jays! But, as grouseking confirmed with the photo he posted, they are there!
Winter is the only time I've been in the area between the Ethan Pond cut-off and Shoal Pond. I've not seen gray jays during my winter forays, which is NOT to say they aren't there. But, I'm curious if perhaps they only hang out in that area during the warm-weather months??

Well those pics were taken on 11/20/04, so not winter, but def not summer. The gray jay was at Ethan Pond Shelter, on a really cold and windy morning, prob the coldest morning of the year thus far. It was prob there because there were some overnighters at the shelter.

Thanks, John! Really enjoy your unique TRs and the pics are awesome. In pic #7, I consider the foreground slope to be the highlight. I really enjoy views of slopes like this for ideas for exploring off-trail as well as nice photographic compositions. Thanks for posting.

happy trails :)

. . . The gray jay was at Ethan Pond Shelter, on a really cold and windy morning, prob the coldest morning of the year thus far. It was prob there because there were some overnighters at the shelter.
Phil, you're probably right about the Gray Jays hanging out at the Ethan Pond Shelter because campers were there. Birds in general, and those birds in particular, are no dummies! Actually, using "bird brain" as a derogatory remark might actually being paying someone a compliment!:rolleyes::D
Thanks, John! Really enjoy your unique TRs and the pics are awesome. In pic #7, I consider the foreground slope to be the highlight. I really enjoy views of slopes like this for ideas for exploring off-trail as well as nice photographic compositions. Thanks for posting.
Patrick, thanks for your very kind words. I'm uncertain exactly which "foreground slope" you're referring to, i.e. the one in the immediate foreground which comprises the talus field, or the sloping ridgeline that is directly across from the talus field. In either case, the photo below perhaps shows a bit more of each.

I sort of think you're probably referring to the ridgeline directly across from the talus field. I've often thought that a terrific "off-trail" adventure would be to do a loop involving a portion of that ridge. It would entail hiking the Ethan Pond Trail from the Rt 302 end, and then leave the trail just a short distance before the spur to the pond; then head southward and sort of follow the eastern boundary of the Pemi Wilderness up to about 3,250 ft; then descend to Ripley Falls via either the Avalanche Brook drainage, or the unnamed drainage to the north of Avalanche Brook; and then hike the Arethusa-Ripley Falls Trail back to the Ethan Pond Trail to complete the loop.

P1000842.JPG

Last edited: