Yikes, this kid is the real deal.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met this guy on my AT thru hike in 2002. We hiked together for a day or so before he blew by me in Vermont. He was hustling to do the whole trail in just the amount of time his Duke summer vacation gave him - in fact he had to be back early because he said he'd been selected for some sort of resident assistant program (or something) that was a real honor. At the time, I thought he couldn't have been getting much out of his thru hike - it seemed like he was just doing it to say he'd done it, and add it to his resume. He seemed to be missing out on the experience - he wasn't really meeting a lot of hikers for much time, and he couldn't have been finding much "fellowship with the wilderness," like the Springer Mountain plaque advertises.
However, I now give him credit though for turning that hike into something much different - basically his own unique way to experience the outdoors.

I have never had the good fortune to meet Andrew but have two friends who have hiked with him - one joined him for a fast Colorado Trail thru hike, the other the FKT for the Sierra High Route. Both described him as "intense" :D but a great guy who is, yep, The Real Deal.

Rik said he was going to do the Alaska hike but when couldn't find a tracklog he stayed home.