In Frostbite Conditions, Keep Yourself Covered -- Word to the Wise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i should try my cycling tops for hiking. I wear them all the time when running. the pockets are a great place to stash keys and stuff hat and gloves when i start to get too warm.

coinslot

My wife was recently livid about a pair of fleece pants fom BD that were advertised as 'natural waist' when she put them on she realized they cut them hih in front and way too low in the back. Basically a half-ass job. Ready for frostbite.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers of women's outdoor clothes are going for "cute" rather than "functional." Too-short tops are an example of that. Some of the stupidity is even found in men's wear, but not as much. Vote against these manufacturers with your purchases.

Buy men's smalls, rather than women's mediums. Sometimes (not always) they are better garments.

Also, shop for winter cycling wear. Cycling clothing is often desgned longer in the back so it stays tucked in and/or provides coverage when riding; the same clothes might stay tucked in better when hiking, as well.

Also, shop for winter cycling wear. Cycling clothing is often desgned longer in the back so it stays tucked in and/or provides coverage when riding; the same clothes might stay tucked in better when hiking, as well.
Amusing, because in my earlier days of winter cycling (32 years now), I'd wear XC-ski and hiking clothes, because there was no such thing as winter cycling clothes. These days, I frequently hike in winter hiking clothes. When hiking out at night, the reflectorized strips all over me make me visible from far if a light shines my way.

Oh yeah. Fashion IS important for me. I always want to look my best.... might meet someone important....you know..... first impressions and all that.

Only once a bit of frostbite while hiking, but at least a half dozen times on my commute to work, a few rather bad.

Oh yeah... That thing that Peakbagger posted was another Pete Hickey, not me.

Another preventive measure is to alternate your top and bottom layers. In cold conditions, I usually have 3 layers on the bottom (including the briefs) and 3 or 4 layers on top. alternating those by tucking in each top layer and pulling the bottom layer well up over it creates a lot of friction, and this fabric "sandwich" is unlikely to pull apart.
I used to do that, but if you need to drop trou, it takes forever to reassemble, particularly if you are wearing gloves or mittens.

Doug

Eat less oatmeal and more cheese the day before the hike...thread drift... :eek:

Unfortunately, many manufacturers of women's outdoor clothes are going for "cute" rather than "functional." Too-short tops are an example of that. Some of the stupidity is even found in men's wear, but not as much. Vote against these manufacturers with your purchases.

Well said.

Trish,

Sorry about your frostbite. I had a similar situation on Liberty last Saturday, where my pants rode down a bit, leaving an exposed lower back (I think that they rode down after falling into a couple of spruce traps on Flume:rolleyes:). When I felt the cold on my lower back, I bolted to a protected spot to adjust my clothing layers. Thankfully, I did not get frostbitten.

Thanks to everyone regarding some great ideas on how to prevent this problem. I plan to try out the multiple layer tuck-ins next time I hike. May eventually try the suspenders option, but that would go against my principles of being non-stylish :p

Marty

Last edited:
Since I do not wear pants I have it a tad easier to drop Kilt. Here is my set-up, which is similar to TCD’s. I first put on a 100 (tights) weight Hot Chilly’s bottoms, I then put on a pair of Sporthill wind stopper boxer briefs. I find that the boxer brief over the tights keeps the tights from falling down. I then put on a pair of expedition weight Hot Chilly’s with a pair of suspenders. My base layer on top is the same weight as the tights and I tuck that into the bottom tights so that both the tights and boxer briefs keep the top in place. My next layer is a Sporthill 3 zone pullover, which is tucked into the boxer briefs, and the suspenders goes over the pull over. Once I throw on the kilt I’m good to go.

Since I do not wear pants I have it a tad easier to drop Kilt. Here is my set-up, which is similar to TCD’s. I first put on a 100 (tights) weight Hot Chilly’s bottoms, I then put on a pair of Sporthill wind stopper boxer briefs. I find that the boxer brief over the tights keeps the tights from falling down. I then put on a pair of expedition weight Hot Chilly’s with a pair of suspenders. My base layer on top is the same weight as the tights and I tuck that into the bottom tights so that both the tights and boxer briefs keep the top in place. My next layer is a Sporthill 3 zone pullover, which is tucked into the boxer briefs, and the suspenders goes over the pull over. Once I throw on the kilt I’m good to go.

I'm pretty confident I will NEVER need to review, for personal use, that set of instructions. ;)

Trish, sorry to hear about frostbite. Hope it heals quick.
This is all very good and valuable information. I love hearing about what people wear on the trail.

Now, what do I wear?

- First, a Gore-tex thong (black). The high T-back helps cover my lower back while providing a great strap to hook my water bottles and assorted carabiners on
- Second, Poly Pro boxers
- Third, Fishnet stockings (Black, of course)- shock value just in case I pass out and need to be hospitalized.
- Fourth, Thin layer of Polypro long underwear
- Fifth, Simulated imitation Gore-tex nylon shell pants with 6 safety pins to tighten up the waist (because I keep forgetting to buy suspenders)

okay, okay, I actually don't wear the fishnets......

Petch

is it?

I haven't checked on the thickness but it all depends on the person too. While I wear lightweight wool tops and bottoms or my stretch patagonia one piece most of the time, my wife wears a thicker layer.

Is it Hot because of the drop seat? :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. It's nice to read what works for various individuals. Think I might skip the thong idea, though. :)

Unfortunately, many manufacturers of women's outdoor clothes are going for "cute" rather than "functional." Too-short tops are an example of that...Vote against these manufacturers with your purchases...

Oh man, that hurts.

Hope you heal fine. I've used suspenders before but it was more for chaffing at the belt & waistbelt if I remember correctly. (It's been several years since I used them & while I have had a case or two when my lower back may have been exposed, never in a case where frostbite was an issue)