In Frostbite Conditions, Keep Yourself Covered -- Word to the Wise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Last weekend, I got a lesson in why it's necessary to keep every inch -- EVERY inch -- of skin covered when ambling above treeline in frostbite conditions.

Sage and I ascended Cannon on Sunday. There was a windchill advisory, and I was my usual diligent self when it came to my kid. Sage was covered from head to foot, no skin was exposed, she was warm and toasty, and she did well on her first hike in serious winter weather.

Unfortunately, I was so focused on her that I forgot to take care of myself. My backpack has an unfortunate habit of pushing my pants down a bit...I'm constantly hitching them up on hikes. I'm usually pretty good about making sure they're where they should be, but on Sunday I let them sag enough to expose a handful of skin over my right hip. Sage and I were above treeline on the Kinsman Ridge Trail for no more than ten minutes. That was enough.

I now have second degree frostbite. That's not a big deal unless it shows signs of infection. It's more of an annoyance than a real problem. However, had I stayed out there longer, it could have been much worse, and I wouldn't have felt anything at the time to warn me of the situation.

I write to emphasize that at the time, I felt cold in that area, then I felt nothing. I didn't realize anything was amiss until hours later, when we were at home and I de-layered. There was no pain that first day. I'd no idea what was happening at the time. It hurts NOW, but I didn't feel any pain then.

So the moral is -- cover up! One can get frostbite and not realize it until hours later.

Last edited:
Ouch! Definitely a good lesson (for the rest of us) in not ignoring the cold. Hope yours heals well and doesn't come back to haunt you in future seasons.

:mad: Concur. I had several plumber's crack episodes recently after some spruce trap encounters. Back in "The Day" there was no concern for form fitting fashion and Gagoules covered your butt and then some. Very practical. Now one needs some base and/or mid-layer that has tuxedo tails or something, to prevent the un-tucking.

My other recent exposure was the top of my right cheek, between the mask, hat and goggle. Not too bad, just a blister. I HATE "Wind Chill Reports" on the news, just one more form of sensationalism, but wind chill is relevant regarding exposed skin in the mountains.

Last edited:
:mad: Concur. I had several plumber's crack episodes recently after some spruce trap encounters.

TMI, dude...TMI! :eek:

Sorry about your frostbite, Trish. I guess the only positive thing, it's not on an area that is typically exposed to cold temperatures. The frostnip I got on the tip of my ear back in high school some 20+ years ago acts as a pretty good thermometer to this day, letting me know if the temps are below freezing in about 2-3 minutes. :rolleyes:

Suspenders are the way to go when outside in the winter. :)

Another preventive measure is to alternate your top and bottom layers. In cold conditions, I usually have 3 layers on the bottom (including the briefs) and 3 or 4 layers on top. alternating those by tucking in each top layer and pulling the bottom layer well up over it creates a lot of friction, and this fabric "sandwich" is unlikely to pull apart.

second that thought!

Sucks about the frostbite Trish. I'll second what DSettahr said - suspenders have been the essential piece of equipment for holding up my fleece pants for the last 15 years or so and I can easily attach the back of my shell pants to them to keep those up where they should be too.

While I was not frostbitten, I have the same situation with my pants falling down and not noticing it for a while (No, I am not a fashionable teenage male. :D) Finally broke down two days ago and purchased pants with suspenders.

Thanks for the well-wishes and the shared stories, folks.

You know what the really irritating thing is?

I have a pair of suspenders hanging in my closet.

Guess they work a lot better if you actually attach them to your pants. :eek:

TCD, that's a great idea. I'll try that next time, along with the suspenders.

one piece undies

I have patagonia one piece stretch underwear which my wife aptly calls The Peguin Outfit.

I also sometimes use a heavier 1piece by Stohlquist (kokatat also makes one)

Sucks about the frostbite Trish. I'll second what DSettahr said - suspenders have been the essential piece of equipment for holding up my fleece pants for the last 15 years or so and I can easily attach the back of my shell pants to them to keep those up where they should be too.

Plus they make you look quite stylish. :)

Suspenders are the way to go when outside in the winter. :)

My pack pushes down on my outer pants, too, so I've added a belt. (That's what the loops are for, I guess.)

This is a good reminder. Thanks, Trish, and hope you don't have anything lasting as a result of a good day outside.

Suspenders are good, as long as you don't require any Separation Breaks, then they can be a chore.

I'm thinking of adding some snaps or velcro to my base layer tops and bottoms.

Great reminder--thanks! Very glad glad it's not worse. And let this be a reminder to YOU Mom, not to overlook your own needs! ;)

Actually, I can easily see how it happened. We all think about our face when it comes to frostbite, not our bum!

My SO has this problem with his pants, and I had honestly never thought about this issue. Might be time for a gift of suspenders!

I can sympathize about the pants. It happens to me too. I am short 5"3" and find that tops are just too short and do not stay tucked in. I can't imagine what its like for a tall female.

I can sympathize about the pants. It happens to me too. I am short 5"3" and find that tops are just too short and do not stay tucked in. I can't imagine what its like for a tall female.

In a word, chilly, for some tops.

But the clothing I buy for my job is even worse. Right when I purchase, short after a wash and hang dry. Makes me so upset.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers of women's outdoor clothes are going for "cute" rather than "functional." Too-short tops are an example of that. Some of the stupidity is even found in men's wear, but not as much. Vote against these manufacturers with your purchases.

Buy men's smalls, rather than women's mediums. Sometimes (not always) they are better garments.

Also, shop for winter cycling wear. Cycling clothing is often desgned longer in the back so it stays tucked in and/or provides coverage when riding; the same clothes might stay tucked in better when hiking, as well.

Thanks, everyone.

TCD -- I'm 5'10" and often wear hiking clothing made for men. If you've ever seen me on the trail, then you know fashion is the last thing on my mind. :D

Cylcing clothing -- interesting idea.

I think suspenders, or perhaps cycling clothes, are the way for me to go. That, or a summer hiking dress with lots of traditional layers over it.

Another preventive measure is to alternate your top and bottom layers. In cold conditions, I usually have 3 layers on the bottom (including the briefs) and 3 or 4 layers on top. alternating those by tucking in each top layer and pulling the bottom layer well up over it creates a lot of friction, and this fabric "sandwich" is unlikely to pull apart.

That's my trick too and it works wonders. Do the same with my 2 pair of socks and my longjohns.