Softshell pants and temperature regulation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have been comparing winter hiking pants, including softshells. It seems that most softshell pants do not have full side zips or thigh vent zips. Just wondering why.

Are ventilation zips considered unnecessary for softshells due to their outstanding temperature regulation? :confused: I generate a lot of heat going uphill and appreciate ventilation zips in my current hiking pants. I fear that I would overheat without some type of venting.

Please help set me straight on softshells. Thanks for all your help.

Marty

Marty - softshells tend to breath a bit. Not so much that you'll feel the breeze unless it's rather windy, but I think that's the reason many softshells don't have side zips.

Look at the REI Acme pants. They're made from Schoeller Dryskin, and for $150 that's an exceptional value as Schoeller is expensive material. They also come in 30" and 32" inseams. If you're interested, don't wait too long as they don't usually have them in stock year-round. Last year I bought a pair of MH's Nima, which is not quite as warm as Dryskin, but warmer than the Mistral below. The Nima does have a partial side zip above the knee for about 12", and a built-in gaitor which you can zip off. Got them from REI, also $150.

I also am a big fan of REI's Mistral pants, which are nearly as warm as the Acme, but cost $90, so you can almost get two pairs for the price of either above. The Mistral line got "cheapened" for a time, but was upgraded last fall, with even better quality & detailing. I especially like the 4 zippered pockets. They wear like iron.

I have a pair of EMS Endo soft-shell pants that I picked up at the start of the winter and have found that they work pretty well with temperature regulation based on what I wear with them. I've worn them with a insulated base layer and by themselves in low wind situations and been pretty comfortable both ways.
I know I hear people swear by the hardshell/base layer way too, so I guess it's a preference and ability to adapt whatever you have to your personal preference and conditions.

I have a pair of the Mountain Hardwear Synchro softshell pants. They have the zippers on the sides for venting. Not full length. Not sure if the new ones do though, mine are a couple years old now.

I, too, have the EMS Endo Trek pants and love them. For most winter hikes, long underwear might be too much for me, but as I have mentioned before, long underwear cut off at the knees are perfect. When it is colder/windier as it was last weekend in Rangeley, Maine, I wear Mountain Hardware hard shells over them.

I've stopped wearing my softshell pants generally, especially if I know it won't be much below -10 or so. Below that I would want the extra insulation, above that it's easier and lighter to just wear Precips over a long john and/or fleece pant. If I knew that temps would be between 20 and 40, I might wear only the softshells and no long johns. I carry the Precips regardless, so why not just wear them if I don't need the heavier softshells ?

Before switching to the kilt :eek:I wore shorts because my ski pants were too hot to hike in, even with full side zips. Staying cool and vented is no longer an issue. ;)

I should add that if I wear my EMS-brand Schoeller Dryskin, then I don't wear longjohns - way too hot. If it's going to be -10 or slightly worse, then I wear longjohns with Goretex 3-ply bibs. That's the only time I ever wear longjohns. Just don't need them.

I still carry a windshell pant. I have some MH - similar to Precips - that I've sewn suspenders onto. Rarely use them - I think only once - but carry them as insurance if the wind comes up unexpectedly.

Nothing against longjohns and shell pants, but having worn softshells for 10 years+, would never go back to that arrangement.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
I also am a big fan of REI's Mistral pants, which are nearly as warm as the Acme, but cost $90, so you can almost get two pairs for the price of either above. The Mistral line got "cheapened" for a time, but was upgraded last fall, with even better quality & detailing. I especially like the 4 zippered pockets. They wear like iron.

+1 for the Mistrals. They're pretty much all I wear for all cold-weather activities (hiking, ice climbing, mountaineering). Down to 30F w/o baselayer, 30F-10F with lightweight baselayer, below 10F mid-weight baselayer. (I run pretty warm.)

PreCip shell pants stay in the bottom of the pack and only come out on special stationary (think extended ice belays) or slow (think slogs thru thigh-deep powder) occasions.

I have a pair of Patagonia Mixmaster pants on order that haven't arrived yet, that might be the ticket for colder stuff, as I believe they're a bit heavier than the Mistrals. Will report back when I get 'em and wear 'em.

+I have a pair of Patagonia Mixmaster pants on order that haven't arrived yet, that might be the ticket for colder stuff, as I believe they're a bit heavier than the Mistrals. Will report back when I get 'em and wear 'em.

I placed a non-winning bid on eBay last night for a pair of the Mixmasters. They appear to be a great possibility.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)

Marty

Last edited:
I've got a pair of REI hybrids. They've got softshell at the calf and the thigh and hardshell shins, knees, and seat. There's a slash zip that runs from the hip to the knee for venting, but they breathe quite well so I rarely use it.

Before switching to the kilt :eek:I wore shorts because my ski pants were too hot to hike in, even with full side zips. Staying cool and vented is no longer an issue. ;)

I've tried shorts but my knees got too cold and then they hurt. Even with a kilt how do you keep your knees warm?

I've tried shorts but my knees got too cold and then they hurt. Even with a kilt how do you keep your knees warm?

I never really had a problem with cold knees, both in shorts and in the kilt. I currently wear knee braces on both knees so the added insulation keeps them even warmer.

I (Bob) have used the Mountain Hardwear Synchro softshell pants for the past 3 seasosn and love them. the side zippers start at ust below the pockets and go to the ankle. I either use them along, or with light/heavy long underwear based on temps. For windy days above treeline, like this past weel in Baxter, I toss on a pair pf Precip wind pants.

For not so cold days, I like REI Taku pants. I believe they are a similar material of Mountain Hardware Synchro. Great for wind and light rain and zips from outer thigh to knee. They do get a bit warm in temps >20 degrees.

For colder days (for me that's <10 degrees) I like my CB (yes, really!) ski pants, Shoeller type softshell outside, micro fleece inside. Have had zero problems with these pants and they have become my winter pant of choice. Excellent breathability and temp regulation. Sure can't beat the $30 pricetag, either! No zips...

How many of you guys use insulated pants in the winter?

If I'm not using the softshells, I go with my MH Defiant pants and a pair of Capline 2 bottoms. I haven't had any problems with my legs being cold, but then again I haven't been out in much below 5 degrees this winter. When do people make the switch from shell and base layer to insulated shell?

...When do people make the switch from shell and base layer to insulated shell?

When they get cold. Seriously, everyone's got a different body "thermostat" and sweat factor. Like most things, it's past experience plus and educated guess at the weather forecast.