Old Mount Washington Trip Report 08-25-98

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have plans to hike Mount Washington this July...and thinking about it has brought up a lot of memories of my first hike, which was also up Mount Washington. Back in 1998, I hiked this mountain, unprepared and unaware of what I was getting into. After this hike, I cursed the mountain and vowed I would never go back...A lot has changed since then! I wrote a trip report about these events and in hindsight, it's pretty amusing. My trip report is on my blog...If you have time, please check it out.

http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2011/02/once-upon-timei-hated-hiking-my-hike-up.html

Thanks,
Karl

good story

I liked the note : Mental Wall. I've seen it so many times by some friends of mine who joined me hiking.

I don't quite agree that drinking untreated water is a fatal mistake (in the context of a day trip). Sickness generally develops the following day.

Tip #1 is : Hike at your own pace, especially if you are new to hiking.

Karl,
That was quite a hiking experience. Most of us began as novices and have learned from our mistakes. Our first hike in Baxter State Park (an attempt to summit The Owl) in 1990 was our awakening; in not being properly prepared for a hike. With your present enthusiaism for hiking in NH, I don't think you will have any problem on your 2nd hike up Mount Washington in July.

Donna:)

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. It's always fun to reminisce on early hiking experiences and to note how our perceptions change as we gain fitness, experience, and a greater appreciation for the mountains.

That said, I do not agree with your fatal mistake number 4 (don’t run down Mt. Washington wearing Nikes, it’s a good way to break an ankle). There is nothing wrong with wearing a low-top sneaker/trail shoe for hiking. In fact, I find that I roll my ankles a whole lot less in trail runners than I ever did in boots due to increased stability and mobility...

I also remember when I started hiking. I enjoyed it, but short hikes were all I could manage. After I did Katahdin, I was whupped! I found it hard to believe people did Allen, or the Bonds, etc. in one day.

And I could not even begin to think about doing any given range in Winter!

Times change. I'm still not a fast hiker, but I have developed endurance, and a different attitude.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad none of your fatal mistakes actually lead to death! :eek:

Nice story. The first (and only) time I've climbed Mt Washington was Memorial Day weekend 1981. My husband and I were 20. We had just gotten married in April and went on this trip to NH with my father in law. I don't remember it being difficult, but we spent all our free time in the woods back then.

I have pictures so I remember what I was wearing....jeans, a batik cotton top, yellow nikes and a red sweatshirt.....all cotton. :) We stopped at what I think was Tuckerman's Ravine and people were skiing. We actually saw people hiking up the mountain wearing ski boots.

The best thing besides the snow on Memorial Day was meeting a man in his 80's and thinking that I want to be that person someday. :)

That was cool. I like the "old" trip reports. Nothing like distance and time to make a bad memory good (or at least not so bad).

I don't think any of your so-called "fatal mistakes" were a big deal.
1- cotton t's are fine as long as you have backup clothing just in case.
2-your food/water amount were a bit light but not recklessly so, especially on a mountain with a water spigot and a cafeteria on top.
3- resting on the side of a mountain waiting for others on a super-busy trail is a non-issue.
4-sneakers are perfectly fine on any mountain in the Whites.
5-drinking from brooks is rolling the dice a bit, but lots of people do it all the time.

Here's what I consider your biggest mistake of the day:
"I remember standing in line to touch the summit marker, and getting mad at families who had just driven up. I felt as though hikers should get the right of passage of the summit marker..."

Good stuff. I hope this encourages others to post some retroactive trip reports.

Holy smokes, 1998 is already 13 years ago!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind responses!

@Brambor - You're right. I've seen the "mental wall" in others so many times and it certainly took me over that day. There are few situations we can't get through physically, especially hiking a peak. However, if you let your mind say you can't do it anymore...you're done. And your tip #1 is key!

@Donna & Mike - Thanks! Glad to see others had similar stories. One of my main problems was I had no desire to hike in the first place, which made it worse. Of course that's changed and it is now one of my favorite pastimes.

@LRiz - I'm sure you're right about the low cuts. I added in the "fatal mistake" parts as more of a "things I've learned since" part. Everyone has their own preferences for hiking gear, boots/shoes included. No argument here!

@Tom - "Times change. I'm still not a fast hiker, but I have developed endurance, and a different attitude." - Your words here sum up exactly how my hiking has evolved. I got the itch and like you, I'm not fast, but can go for longer...and the attitude drives it all!

@nietzschescat - 80 years old! That is awesome! I agree, I hope that is me someday too!

@Billy - Thanks and I'm glad you like the older trip reports! I just got on VFTT and my hiking season pretty much ended this past October, so I haven't been able to post any reports yet. So, I figured this somewhat qualified! And you're right, that was definitely the biggest mistake for the day!:D

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read my (long) report!
Karl

Midlife Backpacking Crisis

It happens even later in backpacking life especially when backpacking is combined with a new hobby :)

Sometimes around 1993, after I already had hundreds of backpacking trips under my belt I have fallen under the spell of fly fishing. I have stuffed everything but the kitchen sink into my backpack that I thought I NEEDED for fishing and headed up to Speck Pond from Grafton Notch. My backpack not only included a tent but also an inflatable float tube, waders, wading shoes, fishing rod and reels etc etc... With my mind on one and only thing (fishing) I charged up the mountain on one hot summer saturday only to be stopped about halfway up to Old Speck by sudden realization that either I will have a heart attack or I will have to give up. I was furious :D - but I did give up and drove back home fuming. Over the course of the week I lightened the load significantly and made it to the pond next weekend. I think I also paid closer attention to my pre-hike meal to optimize my output.

That's a wonderful story Karl!

Einstein is attributed with saying: “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”
I think there is some wisdom there!:)

My first 4k was Liberty. My expedition recruited a rag tag group I knew from town. We ascended via the liberty spring trail and yes we gloriously summited and celebrated with the smoking of some funny looking smokes:cool: We began our descent, an hour later we where looking back at Liberty from Mt Flume, saying "hey isnt that the mountain we just climbed?'' I dont remember this one on the way up!:eek:

When I first started hiking, I didn't know anything about 4000'ers - AMC White Mountain Guide book - HUTS - Hiking Organizations - zip
I came to learn that there were trails in Waterville Valley, which is where I first worked after college.

One of the girls that also worked there, had hiked a bit before, and she introduced me to hiking. She thought it would be great fun to organize an over-night in the Hut near Mt Washington. Sounded good. In discussing how to get there one day, she asked another co-worker what he thought about what the approach to the Hut should be. His response was, "you ought to get an AMC Guide", to which I replied in amazement "we'll need a Guide?". :rolleyes: Thanx for sharing Karl ~