Tucker Johnson shelter destroyed by fire!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, heard it on VPR this morning. :( That was a nice little shelter; I was surprised when they said it was built in 1969.

When I was there in December a few years ago, a homeless person was living there.

I think it was built when yet another relocation was done to avoid new condos as the old shelter was too close to them - the old route is still obvious.

I'm pretty sure that when I hiked the Long Trail in '95 that the trail did not go to Tucker Johnson, but there was a spur to it, and a proposed relo that would take the trail closer to the shelter. IIRC, my maps from then showed both routes.

edit: After checking my LTG from '89 I think I was mistaken. The Trail went right past the shelter! I think most of the relo was south of Route 4. I think the AT was routed closer to to the shelter, though?

Last edited:
Shelters close to the road have often been used by kids for party places, or temporary shelters for homeless people.

Testosterone mixed with alcohol is a potent fire starter.

I'm pretty sure that when I hiked the Long Trail in '95 that the trail did not go to Tucker Johnson, but there was a spur to it, and a proposed relo that would take the trail closer to the shelter. IIRC, my maps from then showed both routes.

edit: After checking my LTG from '89 I think I was mistaken. The Trail went right past the shelter! I think most of the relo was south of Route 4. I think the AT was routed closer to to the shelter, though?

I don't think the relo touched the LT north of the "new" Maine Jct. I think it only affected the LT between the new Maine Jct (where the LT and AT split) and Jungle Jct, just south of Pico.

(Between the old and new routes, it actually makes for a nice loop hike, with the grand finale on Deer Leap Mtn.)

There have been a number of relocations in the area, and the shelter (which as I recall used to be a lodge) is not where it used to be - I think it used to be in or near what is now the condo development but it might take an older book than 89 to show this

The Pico relocation, completed about 11 or 12 years ago, moved Maine Junction to Willard Gap. Tucker-Johnson shelter was just north of this on the Long Trail, probably about 1/2 mile or so. Don't think it was effected by the relocation work done to the south. But, Maine Junction was moved as part of the relocation, and as a result, Tucker-Johnson was closer to the relocated AT. (Stayed there on my thru-hike).

Hope those you are responsible for this are held accountable. Whether accidental or otherwise.

Decent shelter, took an exhausted sardine break there while thru-hiking the LT back in October. It was on a long 20 mile day pushing to the Inn @ Long Trail from Sunrise Shelter. I'll never forget how tired I felt, both mentally and physically, while resting up there for the final push to Sherburne Pass. And if you've ever hiked it, you know that's a tough stretch mentally with zero summits and little in the way of views!!

Hopefully, the GMC rebuilds it as nice as Lost Pond, another shelter that had previously burnt...

According to the 1966 LTG, Maine Junction was just N of Rte.4 as the AT followed its present route and the LT followed a route W of Deer Leap Mtn to Tucker Lodge which was located off the LT near the pass. That was the route I hiked in 1966.

The old location of Tucker Lodge is presumably where it says "Shelter" on this map:
http://ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services... Peak&state=VT&grid=7.5X7.5&series=Map GeoPDF

Perhaps when the condos were built, that section of LT was closed and the trail rerouted over what was previously the Deer Leap Circle Trail moving Maine Junction to a location NE of Rte.4. Probably that's when Tucker-Johnson Shelter was built at a different location - I don't know if the old lodge was removed by the GMC or destroyed by vandals. That was the trail location when I went to Deer Leap in 1984 - meeting a couple on top on their lunch hour in office garb including nylon stockings.

With the infamous Pico relocation, the ski area proved to have more clout than the condo owners so the LT moved to the W side of Deer Leap again. And with another shift to Maine Junction, the shelter is now closer to the AT but still not on it.

Last edited:
Was it really that easy for partying teens to get to? It must have been at least a mile from the road, though a fairly easy mile. I stayed there one night years ago in a massive rainstorm. Nice little spot, stream was running well. I think the AT guides started listing it after Maine Juction moved to Willard Gap as it's about a half mile north of there on the Long Trail, not on the AT. A pretty flat half mile.

Was it really that easy for partying teens to get to? It must have been at least a mile from the road, though a fairly easy mile.
Teens used to be more ambitious :)

And if they are staying at the condos and want to get away from parents, that path looked better beaten than the LT/AT and is much shorter

But if it's "a suspect" a homeless person is more likely

Was it really that easy for partying teens to get to? It must have been at least a mile from the road, though a fairly easy mile. I stayed there one night years ago in a massive rainstorm. Nice little spot, stream was running well. I think the AT guides started listing it after Maine Juction moved to Willard Gap as it's about a half mile north of there on the Long Trail, not on the AT. A pretty flat half mile.

Historically, many of the LT shelters have been rather notorious as party places for the local kids. After all, how many places can a kid go with his/her friends, have a big fire, get totally wasted, and sleep it off if necessary out of the elements - in a somewhat remote location with little chance of being discovered? The local cops are used to seeing a vehicle or two where the LT crosses a road, so as long as there aren't too many vehicles there, I doubt the average town cop is going to trek into the woods, in the dark, to check on possible party'ers.