Baxter & Hamlin Peaks Feb 28 - Mar 3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
Wow! What an experience to hike in Baxter State Park during the winter. Seven of us spent 5 days in the park and were successful in our attempt to hike Baxter and Hamlin peaks. After arriving at Chimney Pond, we all agreed that even without hiking to a summit, the trip was worth the time and effort.

Words and photos cannot describe the magnificent beauty this area has to offer. I had never given a trip like this a thought until Tom Caldwell suggested it this Fall. Thank you Tom for pushing me outside my comfort zone, and to Jonathan, Rick, Liza, Giggy, Arm, MEB, HikerEd, and others who provided information along the way that helped make this a trip of a lifetime.

This trip Geri stayed home, but we are already planning a trip for next winter so she can share in the awesome fun!

The full set of photos and trip report can be found on our web page at:
Baxter & Hamlin Peaks Trip Report

P1010101.JPG

Bob,

I am so glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip. I am very much looking forward to viewing your photographs.

I'm going to continue going into the park in winter, whenever the opportunity arises, for as long as I am able to do so. It is a magnificent experience.

Jonathan

Very enjoyable reading and pics! It's nice you were able to use so many different winter hiking techinques to get this done, I envy you!!

Great report Bob and stunning pics!

Hope you and Geri are well

take care

Petch

Bob, Excellent job! Very glad to hear of your success. Cheers, Stu

You guys left the skis ar RR?

Yes - left the skis at Roaring Brook and snowshoed up to Chimney Pond. On the descent several rode their sleds down while others barebooted or used snowshoes.

Jonathan - So true, Baxter is a magnificent experience any time of the year, but even more so in Winter.

Hi Bob: Congratulations to you and all your crew - a very fine effort indeed! Between the excellent pictures posted by you and Blaze (from back in January), we got to see a lot of what we missed on our expedition:) I was just curious about whether there was any sign of our trail-breaking efforts on the lower portion of the Hamlin Ridge Trail; the segment that branches off left from the North Basin Trail. Was there still any kind of trough in the woods, or had it filled back in? Just wondering. In any event, nice going; I am already thinking about attacking the challenge of the Baxter peaks again next year, and at least to give it another go in Summer...... Happy trails to all!!

Sorry - but no sign of previous traffic - even though we saw a group of 5 on the ridge two days earlier. Heck - there was no sign that we had been up Cathedral trail by the time we descended the day we did Baxter peak. Amazing how fast trails can get filled in with winds blowing the snow around.