Climbing in the South Basin, Mt. Katahdin, ME (2/30/11)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. :)

Excellent, leaf. I did not realize that those other routes had names, but I remember when Marc Chauvin and Peter Cole were putting in new ice routes all over the northeast. Who put in Dougal's Delight and when? South Basin remains one of my favorite places, right up there with Pangnirtung Pass on Baffin and Titcomb Basin in the Winds.
Sorry for the delayed reply! Misha Kirk and Mike Gilbert put up Dougals a year before they did Piggy Wiggy in 1973. The Funnel, which, if you look at the pic with Jeff in front of the three gullies.. is the route in the middle. unknown on that one, according to the guide book.

Thanks everyone. :)

Sorry for the delayed reply! Misha Kirk and Mike Gilbert put up Dougals a year before they did Piggy Wiggy in 1973. The Funnel, which, if you look at the pic with Jeff in front of the three gullies.. is the route in the middle. unknown on that one, according to the guide book.

Thanks, leaf. I will need to check the guidebook; Shades of Blue by Wilcox, right?

I have, rather Jeff has.. His third edition (2002) "An Ice Climbers Guide to Northern New England" with Peter Lewis.

just curious about the rest of your trip.
Just getting to the the base, is a trip itself.

Now that you have a taste of the best thing that the northeast has to offer, is it worth it to you, to make the trip, or would you rather just pound out Hunts ?

just curious about the rest of your trip.
Just getting to the the base, is a trip itself.

Now that you have a taste of the best thing that the northeast has to offer, is it worth it to you, to make the trip, or would you rather just pound out Hunts ?

well i think the best thing the northeast has to offer -is- huntington ravine.. :) but that aside.. yeah, baxter is awesome. next trip in there i want to climb the longer, technically harder routes on the other side of the south basin.. so i don't see hauling myself in there again for a couple more years, until i know i can climb (and lead) those routes fast, efficient and competently.

getting to the base was a trip, but not something i want to do just for a day of hiking or to hang out at the cabin for the hell of it.

well i think the best thing the northeast has to offer -is- huntington ravine.. :) but that aside.. yeah, baxter is awesome. next trip in there i want to climb the longer, technically harder routes on the other side of the south basin.. so i don't see hauling myself in there again for a couple more years, until i know i can climb (and lead) those routes fast, efficient and competently.

getting to the base was a trip, but not something i want to do just for a day of hiking or to hang out at the cabin for the hell of it.

I think that you are probably ready for Waterfall and Cilley-Barber based on your recent all-day effort in Huntington ravine. :)

Super trip. Does not even look like the East. Nice!