Climbing in the South Basin, Mt. Katahdin, ME (2/30/11)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
This is less about words, more about pictures. I went up to Baxter State Park for the first time in winter to check out the ice lines in the South Basin with a few friends. That place is like Huntington Ravine on steroids. Enough said.

Jeff and I climbed a nice route on the right side of the Basin on a perfect weather day. Luckily for me, Arm had spotted us as he was hiking the Knife Edge from Pamola to Hamlin.

1209226114_MQYEK-L.jpg

The route we took.

This is a little picture trip report from both perspectives, through my eyes and from far off. When I'm climbing, I'm focused on whatever small detail about the ice I can see and interpret in order to get up safely.. like, "hey, there's a small divot here that I can get my crampon spike in", or "that stick sounded a little hollow, the ice seems more solid here.".. but then, once at the anchor I take a look around and soak in the wide alpine space I find myself in.. the South Basin is pretty massive and I feel small and insignificant, yet strong and confident when I know my physical and mental well-being got me to that place and I'm able to reach the top. I think it's cool to do something where focusing and concentrating on the smallest details brings you to places so expansive and vast. There's so much beauty in both aspects.

Ok, enough words.

1209225851_hE4VR-M.jpg

1203206955_SizGY-M.jpg

1209226194_GiXLN-M.jpg

1203207181_d9SJZ-M.jpg

1209225943_Eev8o-M.jpg

1203207738_kCYyB-M.jpg

1209226293_G338s-M.jpg

1203208787_dZDw5-M.jpg

Good stuff. I'll be back here to tackle some lines on the left side of Basin, for sure. If anyone wants to see the full set of pics.. go HERE. Thanks for checking this out!

I always enjoy your stuff....pretty sweet, and lucky, to have those pics of you guys from far off mixed in with your pics.

I think you owe Arm a beer!:D

Its to the right of Piggy Wiggy. We climbed Dougals Delight, it was the most IN out of the gullies on that side. Also I was concerned about avalanche activity on the snowfield above Piggy Wiggy's ice pitches. Our original plan was Chavin Cole but it was bare rock in some places along that route.

Great photos. That's a fun route. You'll get the big lines next time, or the time after that, I'm sure. FWIW - I hear Chauvin-Cole hardly ever comes in.

Its to the right of Piggy Wiggy. We climbed Dougals Delight, it was the most IN out of the gullies on that side. Also I was concerned about avalanche activity on the snowfield above Piggy Wiggy's ice pitches. Our original plan was Chavin Cole but it was bare rock in some places along that route.

Excellent, leaf. I did not realize that those other routes had names, but I remember when Marc Chauvin and Peter Cole were putting in new ice routes all over the northeast. Who put in Dougal's Delight and when? South Basin remains one of my favorite places, right up there with Pangnirtung Pass on Baffin and Titcomb Basin in the Winds.

thanks to Leaf for scoring Chimney Pond reservations ... worth sleeping in your car and missing halloween ?

thanks to the team for a great trip ... fun trek across Knife Edge with Adamiata and Suebiscuit :)

we belayed between Pamola and Chimney Peaks because the zipline between peaks was out of order, but could have made it without rope

never did quite figure out why someone's shirt smelled like swedish meatballs ;)

posted a few pics
http://community.webshots.com/user/armclimb

filmed a fun movie sledding down Chimney Pond Trail on our way out ... that was a blast ! might reserve a day just for sledding next time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X7qMMfIjtI

looking forward to the next trip !

Awesome "picture" trip report. I really had no idea that Katahdin had a technical route like this. Great perspective both from your eyes and afar. I enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing!
Karl