Ice Bridge Status in White Mountains 3/8/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Ok so last big weather system brought snow to NY and VT. It appears southern White Mts and southern NH received significant amounts of rain. How have the snow bridges held up? I'm sure folks planning trips in the White Mt's would benefit from any observations folks have to offer on ice bridging conditions for rivers and brooks. Even if the the trail you take doesn't involve water crossings, perhaps the trail you take crosses a brook via a regular bridge or it passes by a river or a brook. Let us know how the rivers look in the next week or two.

Down ~ in town ~ the Pemi takes the brunt of everything, as all the rivers drain into it. HUGE ice jams. Holderness intervale (Field House exit) closed due to flooding (this is a unfortunate, normal occurance). Sections of Rt 175 down to one lane of traffic due to undermining. Johnson Brook, coming out of Thornton Gore, was still very high yesterday.

Wonder what Beaver Brook on Moosilauke looks like? I would guess that
the ice on most brooks flushed-out, and are still running a bit high. Next 2 days are quiet & calm, so things will temper, but more rain on Friday?

There will be some very interesting sights to see in the backcountry when
folks get to venture in.

Here is the USGS hydrograph that tells the story described by Cath (first link):

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01076500

Our friend Steven heard the river ice break up near his house in Woodstock on Sunday afternoon (second link). By Monday morning when I could see the Pemi from my house in Thornton, the ice was all gone and the Pemi was way out of its banks and had flooded the low gravel bar and fields on the west side.

The East Branch hydrograph (my favorite) at the third link tells essentially the same story. So, my guess is that snow bridges may be compromised on the south side of the Whites, but might be ok on the north side?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01075000

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01074520

I was out 6:00 this morning cleaning out the driveway from 12 plus inches of snow, there was no evidence of liquid water under the snow so whatever rain we had got soaked up by the snow. I expect the north country ice bridges will be in good shape. but deciding where the dividing line may be a challenge.

pulled this quote off the backcountry conditions report from zealand falls hut today:

"Water crossings along Zealand Trail are dangerous!Some bog bridges are under water. Traction and flotation recommended."

it appears crossings in that area have opened up and may be a reflection of other areas of the pemi.

bryan

"Water crossings along Zealand Trail are dangerous!Some bog bridges are under water. Traction and flotation recommended."

it appears crossings in that area have opened up and may be a reflection of other areas of the pemi.
As of last fall, one of the beaver ponds had flooded the trail (the trail goes along their edge for a distance). They could be flooding the trail now too.

"flotation recommended"
Does this mean that I should bring my water wings? :)

Doug

Ice bridges on Falling Waters yesterday, with the exception of the lowest one which was a collection point for the ice blocks swept down from above, were not only washed out but the margins of the streams had tall snow walls where the torrent had carved them out.
I wouldn't count on snow bridges anywhere but at least the water levels are down, for the time being.

Valley Way - Stream Observations

As of Wed. (3/9), all but two of the [all very small] crossings on Valley Way were fine. One of these was gone, the other almost ready to go. Ice on the larger Snyder Brook running beside the trail was well into breakup and beyond the possibility of traverse for the most part.

0_0_4fce461dc1c62d78af21fa50960659f2_1