Getting to the trailhead for Abraham (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
I am looking to find out if a regular car with winter tires (like my Honda Civic) can be driven to the Fire Warden's trailhead to go up Abraham (in Maine). I am thinking about spotting a car there and since I have never been to that trailhead in any season, I have no idea if it is drivable. Any feedback is appreciated particularly any beta on recent conditions. Thanks.

sli74

I don't have any info on current conditions, but hiked Abraham in Oct. 2009. I thought the road was passable with a regular car, if you were to really take it easy. However, the person we were driving with didn't feel comfortable (I think she had a Camry), so we parked near the end of the road. I think it's about a mile-and-a-half to the trailhead from where we parked.

Last winter it was approx. 1 mile. There was room for one car at the limit of plowing. Further back was a wider turn out. Parking there would probably add another mile. The road in Feb. '10 was a pure sheet of ice. I don't think it was ever treated with anything past the last houses. Fortunately it is nearly dead level. If the ice has melted be prepared for some heinous mud. Sorry I can't give you more recent info.

We were there Dec 31 and the other car that was with us made across the last bridge just before the road takes a final sharp right. It was a small car siimilar to a civic, but we did have to push it and shovel it out due to the snow depth and the low clearance. So just watch the snow depth as you drive the road.

Just in case you need them.

Take Rte 27 to Kingfield, ME. Turn onto West Kingfield Road @ .2 miles north of the intersection with Rte 142. There is a lumber store on the corner. Follow West Kingfield Rd for @ 4 miles where the road will turn to dirt as it becomes Rapid Stream Road. Continue straight for @ 1 mile until you will come to a junction with 3 options. Turn left and follow across 2 bridges, then bear right just after the second bridge. ( we parked here) Follow the road up a slight hill to the marked trailhead.