Who's got spring/summer plans?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
Hey folks. I just realized that it's been a heck of a long time since I've posted anything here. I guess I got so used to lurking that I forgot to post. Whoops.

So for my first appearance in a while, I'd love to hear all the crazy plans people have for the spring/summer/fall. Even though I hear there's still plenty of snow in the mountains, it's pretty much all gone in Portland. It looks like serious mud season already. And that's making me think of the spring and summer.

I'm about 75% certain that I'll hike the Long Trail this spring, and then work for a summer camp in the summer. I'm very excited about both.

What are you excited about for the near future? Finishing peakbagging lists? Long hikes? Trips to far corners of the world? Things completely unrelated to hiking? Let's hear it!

My biggest plan for the summer is to accompany my girls along their journey for the 48. A big part of that will be a 6 day pemi backpack with them - I'm really looking forward to it - it'll be a great experience for all of us - and something for them to take with them. Darn kids, they grow up so fast!
Looking forward to seeing some of you out on the trails :)

We're on a wait-list with IMG for Rainier. Or may head back to Shasta to try it WITHOUT a guide. Or ???

We're on a wait-list with IMG for Rainier. Or may head back to Shasta to try it WITHOUT a guide. Or ???

Ellen, which route are you hoping to take with IMG? We used them last summer for the Kautz and found them to be a top-notch group.

We're planning to go back and do either the Emmons or the Kautz, unguided.

We've been out there twice so far. First was about 7 years ago, when we signed on with the only company leading trips at that time. We took RMI's seminar which included instruction and a summit bid. Three of our group turned back at the base of the Cleaver (I've written about the details before). Brian returned two years later and summited with IMG. He has only praise for that company. I wished immediately afterwards that I had believed their online statements about helping clients meet their goals. I was so not willing to spend money only to be discouraged that I, instead, spent three amazing days alone on the Wonderland Trail, followed by a day volunteering at Paradise. I'm not the fastest hiker but have good endurance and a renewed sense of determination!

Only 75%? I thought that was a sure thing.

I've got the John Muir Trail starting on 19 July with my niece.

Oh, you know. I've got issues :)

JMT will be badass!

erugs, Rainier and Shasta both look pretty amazing. I got some great views of Shasta last summer, and it looked just mind-boggling. I'll expect pictures of either one!

I think I'll be spending a lot of time in the Pemi area, too. Can't go wrong there.

Highpointing goals: Hawaii, New York, Maine, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, bringing our highpointing total to 40.

NH hiking goals: The girls and I (and Max the young border terrier) will backpack throughout most of the NH48.

The above two things assume all remains fun for the girls (and for Max). If it doesn't, then we'll adjust plans accordingly.

In addition to the hiking, I'll continue doing what I need to do to ready UP (book on Alex and I) for publication (this includes readying both the girls for UP's publication and press).

I've got two other books in the works besides UP, one fiction, one nonfiction. One manuscript is finished, the other is not. I hope to finish both and sell at least one of them by the end of this year. There are no guarantees in this business, so who knows if I'll be successful, but I'll have fun trying. :)

Rehab, (no, I won't be seeing Charlie Sheen, it's the other type); Percy Peaks; a 46er work day; the Travelers; something new & interesting in the 'Dacks (Sawtooths?); some unpopular 3k'ers in NH; maybe a NH200 or two; cutting/clearing new trails in the Ossipees (kidding!); perhaps Guyot and some valley bagging in the Pemi; and helping a friend with his redlining of Mansfield (work towards my second+ round(s)?).

I'm headed for the East Coast in April, and among other things, hope to hike some favorite peaks like Moosilauke, Lincoln/Lafayette, Washington and Adams. Will then be heading to the Whistler/Squamish area for about a week, scouting campsites. In May, will be hiking in Ireland for a couple of weeks, first based in Killarney and then Galway. Will spend July & August again this year in B.C., based near Yoho NP, but before going north hope to do Whitney. If the snow is consolidated when I drive north past Shasta, will probably climb it via the AV Gulch route. Looking forward to the new 5 months - some new sights, and some favorite old ones.

Coupla 100 milers and a 50-mile running event.

Paria Canyon and/or 4th (never gets old) Grand Canyon one-day R2R2R.

After only 18 years... finish the Colorado 14ers - 6 left.

Backpack the Hardrock (AKA Softrock) 100 course. After running the race 5 times, get to linger at the good spots (like, the whole loop) and not be in such a damn hurry. :D

2-3 Weeks exploring in the Sierras & doing whatever strikes our fancy. :)

Decide whether I'm really done with the Whites or not... :rolleyes:

Hike more.
Redline more.
Continue "longest hike to reach summit x" 48 round quest.
Kicking around a couple silly enduro hiking ideas. TBA after.:)
Bike more.
Continue to get healthier, stronger, happier.
Get my nickname "Eternal Optimist" tattooed on my arse.
(just kidding?)

Waiting on the results of a permit lottery to backpack the Enchantment Lakes in Washington around Labor Day. Was denied permits two years ago. Will probably be denied again. If we get them, I'll probably also do some day hikes in North Cascades, Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens while I'm out there.

Anyone want to day-hike the 22-mile Tully Trail in Central Massachusetts in May or June? Been thinking about doing that one for a while. I'll post an official event in a month or so in case anyone wants to join.

Also hoping to finish the 48-ers this year (4 left).

- Roadtripper

This spring, a few weekends in the Adirondacks. In August, a week of backpacking in Denali National Park is planned. Kayaking here and there. Bring on summer!

Hang out in the US Virgin Islands for 2 weeks.:D

Paddle somewhere and camp.

Wander around in the woods.

Be lucky enough to see a bobcat.

Find a wood lily in bloom. Look for yellow lady slippers in New Hampshire.

sleep in a hammock.

Five days in the ADK high peaks with my son in June.

Thru-hike the Northville-Placid with a rotating cast of family members in July.

A family week in Baxter in August.

A few one-day epics ... still want to do that Mansfield 4x-in-a-day thing, up LT from 108 ->down Sunset ->up Laura Cowles ->down Halfway House ->up Maple Ridge ->down Bypass ->up LT or Wampahoofus -> down Nosedive/Haselton ...

Whatever else I can fit in. Some NH peaks with my daughter, probably.

I like all of these plans. Not that I'm in danger of running out of things on my to-do list, but I always love getting more ideas from everyone else :)