Who's got spring/summer plans?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buck Hill, Spencer MA, with Molly, in preparation for the Seven Summits...which are on my "Bucket List". Dream BIG! :D

If that doesn't work out, we will attempt (and I use the word loosely) Cardigan, Pico, Stratton, Bromley, Mt Toby, Camel's Hump, Smugs. (Is that "7"?) We are heretofore referring to this as Molly's list.

We are starting with Toby today...training run. :eek:

I know... by all standards very boring but for us, they are K2.

I forgot...if the spine holds out, perhaps a backpack to Stratton Pond for a few nights. If that does not work for us, we will drive to Grout Pond, park, and "backpack" a few feet up the trail to leanto or campsite.

I hope we all have a great summer. :D

Last edited:
Summer:
Finish the NE67, the rest are non-Baxter, Maine.
I signed up for a trail running series in western NH (gulp)
Hopefully another trip to the ADKs Gathering

Fall:
Get married!

Plans for this year

You know me, lots of hiking planned for this year.

I'm off in a few weeks to complete the NJ. NY and CT segments of the Appalachian Trail, about 200 miles or so.

Then back to the Whites in May and June to redline the great gulf and northern presidentials, while trying to get through as much of the Trailwright's 72 as I can.

Pop up to Maine in July probably to finish most of the remaining Maine AT, about 100 miles, but save Katahdin for another year.

Hope to do a little gold panning and waterfall climbing in August over by Tunnel Brook.

Probably do a big walkabout in the Baldface area for 1 or 2 weeks in September, more redlining.

Down to the smokies in October for more of the AT. Who knows how long I'll stay down there.

Looking forward to this year very much.

Much of the usual, though this year one week is being bought out mid-September to celebrate my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary. What a 2011. Our daughter and our niece graduate, its the 20th for me and the mrs, and the 15th for two of her sisters and their husbands. One week, one house, 14 people-4 of my sister-in-laws & their husbands, 1 niece, the three of us, and my parents-in-law, one island- Martha's Vineyard. If it wasn't for the fact that I adore my in-laws, I would be funneling Stone Fences down my gullet at least 24 hours od the day- wait-I may be doing that anyway. But we plan on hiking and biking at MV alot.

Then there's the usual 3 trips for trailwork, plus one or two of those days being spent on other trail projects, my wife (Klutzy Kat) finishing her 48 ( she has 10 left-gonna do them in June, July and finish in October-as a former northern NH native, there are few better months than October) and 4 planned Historical Treks circa 1740's to Osceola & Garfield for sure, and I'm also contemplating the Moose and another yet to be decided peak.

:confused: I wonder what it would take to get a concession at Camp Muir. I'd think cold cans of Foster's and hibachied shish kabob would sell pretty well there over the summer. The commute from and to Ashford every day wouldn't suck either. :cool:

Complete hikes to all campsites/shelters/huts/tentsites listed in WMG (mostly done), hike more in Maine and VT; take few trips to ADKs and Cats; camp out more often; head to Baxter to explore non 4k peaks...ride the m/c on non hike days!!

Got a few trips to the Whites planned for this summer. Going to Crawford Notch Campground w/ my son for a weekend in June. We plan to hike Mount Willard again. In July going to Jefferson for a week with both wife and son. We plan to (once again) hike Starr King and go on to Waumbek. Of course being in Jefferson for a week with a 7 year-old I know I'll get roped into going to Santa's Village :( ...can hardly wait to pay that entrance fee :rolleyes:

Going to Loudon in August to see the Indy cars (GO DANICA!) ;) Will be staying in Lincoln that weekend and will get some hiking in on the Kanc. I've always been a fan of the Mt. Potash and Oliverian Brook Trails; nice little hikes.

Bought a new house right on a pond last November so it looks like plenty of kayaking this summer. :D

My goal for 2011: Get to 120 on the lean-to challenge (spend a night in every lean-to in NYS). Currently at 95.

It's the BSP3 (for the NE 68) or bust! Given my hip at the moment, it may be the latter.

Local paddling in spring.

Western trip June-July to include hiking and horseback riding in The Tetons (Jackson, here we come!), a short hike and sight seeing through Yellowstone, paddle camping a few days in Missouri Breaks, Montana, day hiking and boating in Glacier NP, follow Lewis & Clark Trail through Idaho and Oregon to the Pacific, Redwood National Park, Mt. St. Helens, Great Basin of Nevada, Rocky Mountain NP.

Early August hikes and maybe a paddle or two in the western NH White Mountains.

Late August, Baxter Park for the Traveler Loop, then paddle camping outside the Park, probably Debsconeag Lakes area.

Soccer season and a break for the autumn Hooligan Hike in the Rangely area.

Try to avoid getting laid off. Any hiking trips I can squeeze in will be a gift.

Stan, your June-July trip has me drooling.

Any Mountain

In the last two years work has assumed a priority that I never knew it could have. I run a family business and we all have been working hard. Thus my hiking adventures have been a little on the thin side.

This year I am planning to a lot more and try to make up for lost time. I anin't getting any younger. For those of you that know what this means I have my medicare appointment sometime early summer!!!:eek:

So here are some of the places on the list for me and my honey for this summer:
Adirondack High Peaks: Any mountain I can get to that I haven't already done!

Whites: Same Here!!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously talking Graylock mountain in Massachusetts has a lot of trials that I would like to explore. Giant plus a few others in the Adirondacks. More of the Presidentials in the Whites.

This past fall my grandson turned 15 and I took him up Mt Major and Saddleback for his first hike. He thought it was going to be boring but he had a great time. So getting him up to the presidentials this summer is probably my greatest goal. If I can tear him away from soccor once in a while.

See ya all down the trail

Various running and trail endurance events April through October
Sprint triathalon in July
BSP Maine in late June to complete the NE115 with my son
Some ADK 46er peaks to complete second round
Trip to Colorado (hopefully) to hike some front range 14ers

looking at moving back to CO, IM halfway on the 14ers and would like to get at least 15 more, IM shooting for july, but with me you never know, my dog is pushing for may to get back.