Adams and Madsion, winter 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
3/15/2011

Peaks for this day were Mounts Adams and Madison, an attempt to finish single season winter 48

The day dawned clear and cool..the forecast for virtually calm winds with temps in the 20's...sometimes things just work out

The crew: Tim C, who had finished single season last week, and Cynthia who was looking to close her goal as well. We pulled into the lot and recognized a couple of cars that were out on traverse..what a day. We knew of other hikes in the loop for Washington and Jefferson..the hills are alive!!!

The rest of the story: Valley Way on ascent was firm with some dug in steps..microspikes or bareboots worked perfect to the hut with no postholing.
We decided on Adams first, last week the ice up here was fairly interesting by all reports..certainly we had run into some pretty firm icy crust on Jefferson..others spoke of scary sideslopes on Washington and Adams. . We went with snowshoes to minimize crust breaking and this proved a fine choice. Very little ice..mostly a mottled frozen granular rime surface that gripped perfect. Some long stretches of drifted snow as well which made for some soft footing. We angled upslope above Gulfside Trail and intersected Airline which we followed to the base of the cone where we circled right a bit and made final approach through snowfields to the summit. Nice route Tim. Virtually calm winds, a blazingly blue sky..just terrific..we dropped off summit more towards Lowes and circled through the large snowfields there back to Airline..again..way above Gulfside.
Once at the hut we opted for crampons for the steeper ascent of Madison and this worked fine. Very nice frozen granular crust with a few drifted areas made for very good footing. Again, on summit...there was silence..there was no wind the views spectacular and we celebrated list finish by just standing there in awe for awhile..Been up there on colder days in august for sure. We donned snowshoes for Valley Way descent and these worked well..trail smacked out pretty smooth tho a bit narrow on some of the side slopes .

It seems not that very long ago when on the first day of winter we plowed up the Firewardens Trail on Hale to kick things off. Santa came early and gave us a presi day on 12/26 where the southerns were done. New Years day in and out of the clouds on Franconia with Eric and jr. Glorious day on the Twins with Tim and Val. Kind of a blustery one with bryan on Moose. Owls Head fell in perfect conditions.. Blasted the Zealand/Bonds thing with Jeremy and Bryan then soon enjoyed a great group success day on Jefferson. Things all fell into place for the trip yesterday and the goal achieved.

a few pics from along the way that do no justice at all to the good times, good views and great friends who shared these extraordinary times

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157626280043862/

Last edited:
Great accomplishment Mark. I wish you many more.

Beautiful slide show - thanks!

Congratulations! Quite an achievement since the days of the crooked knee. :)

Congratulations Mark, great achievement. The Madams winter hike is one of my favorites.

Petch

Congratulations Mark!

Isn't it simply amazing that another winter season is coming to an end ALREADY?!

Congrats Mark !!!! This is an awesome accomplishment.

What was footing like on the cone of Madison? Was there a lot of exposed rock? Could you wear snowshoes with aggressive crampons or was there not enough space between the exposed rocks? Thanks.

sli74

Congrats! I wonder if your ears ring when I talk about you to my p/t? I brought my new "used" osprey pack with me today, showed it to them and told them that I wanted to use it next winter, so start "cranking". Congrats on your accomplishment again, and to your buddies for joining you. Wish those mts weren't so far from me.:(

ps, hit 125 rom today with no pain, then I cranked it back myself to app 130 and yelled. All going well..now enjoy the Spring