Pulley system to cross Indian Pass Brook!?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like (from the translation) that is is on the herd path to Street and Nye. It was not there a few months ago when I climbed those two peaks.

I'm guessing that as soon as the rangers get wind of it, it will be taken down. I wouldn't count on it lasting very long.

Click on the 'translate' button and the threads turn into English.

Wouldn't translate when I clicked on "U.S. English"; the only thing I could read was "Holy cow!"... That'a quite a rig just for hiking up a couple peaks that you could just come back in a couple weeks and do.

According to Kerry on AKDHPs, it's already gone. Also, I have to wonder, how did they string it in the first place, w/o getting wet?! :confused:

The pics look suspicious. I think the whole thing was photo-shopped. An early "April Fools" perhaps. Did anyone known actually see the rig ?

attachment.php

What direction are those cables traveling in and where are they supposed to be attached ? Someone's having a good chuckle about this, me thinks.

Last edited:
When zooming in, we can see a red cable up on the tree on the right.

;) How do we know you weren't part of this ? None of it looks legit to me; the cable widths, angles, direction of travel, etc, but I'll defer to anyone who knows more about photoshop than I do, which is pretty much anyone who has used photoshop. :eek:

Edit: Closer inspection reveals the 3rd line that the person is using to pull himself across. He is traveling left to right and facing down stream. So I guess it does look legit. I may need new glasses !

Last edited:
Downloaded the original pics ( http://www.fousderando.com/download/file.php?id=3696 and http://www.fousderando.com/download/file.php?id=3695) and took a look. The tyrolean traverse rig looks reasonable, the attachments to the trees on the far bank look ok, and the line dragging in the stream looks ok too. The lighting on the human and the background also looks consistent, but the lighting is very soft. However, it looks to me like the person crossing is likely to get his feet (or more) wet as he moves toward the center of the stream.

I don't see anything fake about the pic with the possible exception that the person is likely to get wet if he goes out to the center of the stream. However, pretty much any photo can be faked these days...

Doug

;) How do we know you weren't part of this ? None of it looks legit to me; the cable widths, angles, direction of travel, etc, but I'll defer to anyone who knows more about photoshop than I do, which is pretty much anyone who has used photoshop. :eek:

Even with my extended knowledge of photoshop, I could never do such a good job. There's no visible edges, the pixels are intact... If that picture is fake, please have the person who did it contact me, I wanna know how to do that !

;) Edit: Closer inspection reveals the 3rd line that the person is using to pull himself across. He is traveling left to right and facing down stream. So I guess it does look legit. I may need new glasses !

Last edited by Chip; Today at 10:08 AM.

Agree. Once I saw the tow line in the water and realized correct direction of travel the things I thought looked odd made more sense: Try to make the picture make sense if the direction of travel is supposed to be right to left ! The original picture and the zoom feature helped too :eek:.

The pictures do not look doctored to me. Not knowing who installed the pulley I doubt a hiker passer-by would be tempted to use it therefore I assumed that the group of seven there at the time had installed the system and removed it upon returning from Nye and Street, even though they were for obvious reasons reluctant to admit it.
With the state financial difficulties there are going to be more and more water crossing problems and not just in the winter as certain bridges do not get replaced (Opalescent, Johns Brook near Bushnell Falls, etc...) combined with the high cost of gas climbers will be reluctant to be denied a summit because of high water level and willing to come-up with solutions which can speed-up the crossings. Getting ready for a river crossing is quite time-consuming in group hike, the pulley installation requires only one individual to get into the current/water!
Nevertheless I can’t see myself ever be tempted to use one of those as a fall will likely be unforgiving! The photographer did not deem it safe either and chose to get “safely” wet instead.

Getting ready for a river crossing is quite time-consuming in group hike, the pulley installation requires only one individual to get into the current/water!
It may only require one person to wade through, but it takes quite a while to set up. The people crossing can only go one-at-a-time and the second half of the crossing requires that the person pull/be pulled uphill. The entire group wading is probably much faster...

A rope can also be used as a hand line to aid people crossing.

BTW, the proper name for the setup is a Tyrolean traverse.

Nevertheless I can’t see myself ever be tempted to use one of those as a fall will likely be unforgiving! The photographer did not deem it safe either and chose to get “safely” wet instead.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Doug

"A rope can also be used as a hand line to aid people crossing."

Probably a lot safer...

BTW, the proper name for the setup is a Tyrolean traverse.

Thanks, it sure gives it respectability, don't you think?

Black Spruce said:
With the state financial difficulties there are going to be more and more water crossing problems and not just in the winter as certain bridges do not get replaced (Opalescent, Johns Brook near Bushnell Falls, etc...)

Perfect! I think it adds to the sense of adventure/wilderness and also adds an entirely different aspect to the planning, etc of a trip. Also makes the sense of accomplisment that much more rewarding!