ADK Grid?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
With a bunch of people working on, and completely the NH 48x12 "Grid" I started wondering if anyone has completed an ADK 46x12 "Grid" ? Google was not helpful, so I put the question to you folk. Anyone working on it? I imagine March, and especially April, would be a serious challenge.

I know of some who are actively working on it. I'm sure someone has done it. I know there are at least a few 4 season 46ers as well.

One potential issue with an Adirondack Grid is the voluntary trail closure in the High Peaks each spring... Due to the increased potential for damage to the trails by hikers when the ground is wet, the DEC institutes a "voluntary trail closure," and asks hikers to stay off of steep trails during this period. You won't ever get in trouble for hiking in the High Peaks despite the closure, but many would consider doing so unethical.

There is currently 9 that have put it out there that they have finished. The 9th just finished on Jan 4th. I know quite a few have said they were working on it many more than half way. A few are very close and should finish this year, two of which are women, there is currently only one woman finisher. Two people actually finished the list on the same day on separate peaks. If that isn't a whats the chances what is. Someone has only April but refuses to actually hike in April.

We actually have three people who have completed atleast the 46x46 too. Many who have 20 or more rounds. The first completer Fred Hunt I believe was the first one to ever finish a monthly "grid" list of a major mountain range in the NorthEast although the NH guy has apparently been quoted as saying "don't copy me". It was more commonly referred to as "the monthly" than the grid over here too, although the internet is spreading that word.

It simply wasn't a 'thing' prior to around the last decade, or really even shorter than that so many of these people with 20+ rounds never even gave it a consideration although they clearly were always out there. All 46x46 are completers though.

I didn't see a report of #9, but I think I know who it is. HERE is a thread about my finish in Dec. '09. Further down in it is discussion of the previous finishers.

In the next couple of years, we will see the number probably double.

Belated congrats, Joe, and thanks everyone for the info. I'm fascinated by the recent rise in popularity of the Grid or the x12, and was curious just how far it went.

Me? I ski in winter and abhor hiking in spring, so the Grid is not a goal for me. :)

Belated congrats, Joe, and thanks everyone for the info. I'm fascinated by the recent rise in popularity of the Grid or the x12, and was curious just how far it went.

Me? I ski in winter and abhor hiking in spring, so the Grid is not a goal for me. :)
The Catskill Grid: 35 x 12 = 420, is also being pursued more and more these days. Personally, I will be happy to finish the 4 Season Catskill Grid.

NY Gridders mostly hang out on ADKHPs.

I believe Pin-Pin has completed a 46x46, and esteemed ADK-er and friend, Gary Koch, just completed the 46x46 a short time ago.

Besided my admiration for their achievement and effort, I get weary just thinking about it. :D

If I'm not mistaken there's one that has completed the 46 x 100 ;) Maybe that includes the grid as well ?

I believe Pin-Pin has completed a 46x46, and esteemed ADK-er and friend, Gary Koch, just completed the 46x46 a short time ago.

Besided my admiration for their achievement and effort, I get weary just thinking about it. :D

I believe Pin-Pin is actually 46x46x2 (or at least that's what I've heard) :eek:

Yes, as BlackSpruce TR, Gary had completed 46x46 last november, and as Motabobo said Pinpin did 46x100.

But ... 46x46 or even 46x100 does not necessarily mean 46x12? I mean, you could complete the 46 that many times, but never have climbed peak "x" in month "y" ...

But ... 46x46 or even 46x100 does not necessarily mean 46x12? I mean, you could complete the 46 that many times, but never have climbed peak "x" in month "y" ...
Yes, supposing you were an educator elsewhere and only summered in the Adk you could hike the 46 100 times all in July-August

HE has apparently hiked the NH 48 over 60 times but has only 4 "grids" as the others don't match up correctly - but just wait :)

Historical note: the first "monthly" I heard of was a guy who had climbed Ascutney every month of the year - not all that difficult but apparently rarely done. Then I read in F&C about Fred Hunt in the Adk. Then a local did the same in NH. Now everybody does it :)

Kind of like the supposed progression of how descriptions of a route in the Alps changes over time:
Totally impossible
Only a madman would attempt it
One of the toughest climbs in the Alps
Classic route
An easy day for a lady

We actually have three people who have completed atleast the 46x46 too..

All 46x46 are completers though
I'm kind of confused at the discussion, I thought these parts stated it right off the bat. It was a simple question of "are there any" so I didn't want to ramble on even more than I did. I didn't see the need to say Alain has done a hundred rounds because it wasn't part of the question and I used the word atleast because they have all done more than 46x46. Yes, of course Alain has done the Grid, he has done the 46 in every week of the year too.

The first completer Fred Hunt I believe was the first one to ever finish a monthly "grid" list of a major mountain range in the NorthEast..
Roy, basically pointed out the reason I used the word range too.

Doing things in every month of the year isn't exactly that creative, it sounds more like something that might come out of a kids month as far as simplicity. But, I think nearly all of those that have done it will tell you how much the peaks really do change and how much they enjoyed getting to see it happen.

My favorite quote from one of the 46x46 completers is that peakbagging is little more than "mental masturbation". If you can do the list one time, you can do it many more with simply time and money.

an ADK 46x12 "Grid" ? Google was not helpful......

.... . It was more commonly referred to as "the monthly" than the grid over here too, although the internet is spreading that word.
Yeah.... an example of where the New England culture is influencing ADK culture. I remember Grace showing me the form Fred Hunt had sent her. It was never called a grid in the ADKs until the past few years. Monthly or 12x46, but never a grid.

And Fred did that a long time ago.

...It was never called a grid in the ADKs until the past few years. Monthly or 12x46, but never a grid.
The first NH completer didn't call it a "grid" either, this was perhaps invented by HE some years later

I wonder whether #1 objects to the term as being some sort of industrial process rather than an experience with nature