Winter Stats - Tally 'em up!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok peakbaggers (you NY'ers can post tonight!), This is the somewhat annual, Winter Wrap up thread. What did you do accomplish this Winter?

I'll start off with our stats:

Peaks 38
  • NH 4Ks 18
  • Catskills 18
  • ADKs 1
  • VT 1
Vertical 73,000' (~ 1800' / peak)

Miles 220 (~ 5.8 miles / peak)

Lists:
  • NW48 - 20
  • NE67W - 21
  • NE115W - 69
  • Cat35W - 2nd round finished
  • Cat35 - 4th round finished
(Laurie is way ahead of me on the Cats!)

Hundreds of pics, thousands of memories, lots of great friends!

Peaks:
37 total
33 NH 4ks (26 new NH winter 4s plus 7 repeats this winter
Plus 2 winter NEHH plus 2 Y Alpine)

247.9 miles hiked

Biggest single day was
Tripyramids-Sleepers-Whiteface-Passaconnaway, largely unbroken

Completed 3rd round with Terra on Tecumsah

Downhill skiied 10 days (ski season began a bit before calendar winter)

40 indoor bike work outs since Christmas (a spin bike for Christmas!)

Tons of winter fun, that's the best part!
5 peaks shy of W48 but started the winter at 17 so I am happy with that!
Huge thanks to Eric Rathbun, TimC, Mark Tuckerman, Val Charbeneau, Jeremy Clark for some really fun times and for MichaelJ for being so supportive!

Last edited:
4 NH p328, one was 4k previously climbed by me and others not previously climbed by anybody on LoJ

and several non-peak hikes, best was when I met a guy who looked at my boots and asked "are you <hiking buddy of mine>?" - didn't think to tell him but at home I realized I'd climbed PatN with him exactly 33 years earlier

overall my worst winter in over 35 years due to being sick for a month and foul weather plus other excuses I haven't thought up yet, hopefully next year will be better so I'm ahead of a lot of my former companions who now reside in a space 6x3 or smaller

Hmmm.

Peaks in NH -- 4, 3 of those w/ daughter
Peaks in ADK's -- 4; finished the 46
Days on skis: 35 and counting

A pretty OK winter for me.

NH 4K 10

I'm pretty happy in having gotten to 10 NH 4K. I did no winter 4K in past 2 years (car crash/pregnancy, baby). Late last fall I started taking one baby-free hike a month. Sometimes I was lucky enough to get out twice a month. 2 were new in winter. I hiked plenty of repeats. The Kinsmans in December and again in January. I hiked Washington in January and March. Didn't matter to me where I was going as long as I was out. :)

Last edited:
Who doesn't love winter

NH4ks 61

single season NH48 winter ..my favorite list

some great finishes this winter

Val .. NH winter 48 on Jefferson
Sabrina and Terra.. round 3 on Tecumseh
Eric...grid finish on Osceola
Cynthia..winter 48 and single season 48 on Madison

an incredible ice and lightning show up on the Kanc on a dark and stormy night

a great and fun winter indeed and
I was fortunate to have enjoyed hikes with Val, una and Tee, Bryan, Jeremy, Tim C, Cynthia, Eric..for sure it is the friends made along the way that make the day...

Fresh snow last night but mud is on the horizon...Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Finished W46 Jan2
2 weeks in Kauai....Actually hiked some;)
26 Catskill peaks Jan22--March20 Finished W35

Ummm, I cant remember, I never write anything down. I know I did a few presi's, some peaks in the franconia range, washington via the winter route a few times, I got stormed off a few peaks, oh yeah its coming back to me...... my peak count was, dang it, lost it again, more then 2, less then 100.:rolleyes:

One peak in two very enjoyable hikes.

And one bathroom completely remodeled and a bunch of business trips (Waaaaah Waaah. Excuse. Excuse.).

But who says Winter’s done? Some old dead guy who wrote the calendar? I still see snow in my yard so to me it’s still Winter and I still have a chance to get a few more Carters in while the hikin's still good.

Not as many hikes as I would have liked this winter...

25 NH4Ks
~110 miles
~50K vertical ft.

Come to think of it, on another hike, my camera broke. The lens stopped retracting. Later, trying to figure out why it wasn’t working, the whole lens unit came undone and now just swivels loosely.

Anyway, here’s a picture, taken with my previous camera, which I’ve had to go back to, the one that drains the batteries because of a short-circuit or something:

2902874700097475956S600x600Q85.jpg

This was our first time hiking any winter high peaks...but not our last!

ADK46 - 2
CAT35 - 3

2 failed attempts on Baxter Mountain (NY). :rolleyes:

Many many miles on x-c skis and snowshoes locally.