Huntington Dreams (3/20/11)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
The Dream: Up Pinnacle, Down South, Up Odells, Down Diagonal, Up North, Down Diagonal, Up Damnation, Down Diagonal, Up Yale, Down Diagonal, Up Central, Down Diagonal.

Climbing all the gullies in Huntington Ravine in one day has occupied my mind for a year. It certainly is no novel idea and has been done many times with different variations. Some think of it as the test piece for the hardened New England alpine climber. Well, I have nothing to prove to others but I wanted it for myself.. and badly. Since March 27th of last year after I had climbed 4 gullies in a day, I had my mind set on accomplishing this. The goal was perfect. I am hungry for new climbing challenges and well.. I can not quite describe in words what Huntington Ravine means to me, only to say that this place pulls me in like nothing else.

Once the ice season hit, all of my climbing plans were centered around getting in shape mentally and physically. I did a lot of solo climbing and a lot of long days. In January, I recruited Kristina Folick and we linked up Landslide and Shoestring Gullies in 8 hours. And a month later, I went alone to do 3 complete laps of Shoestring averaging 2 hours and 15 minutes per lap. And a bunch of other climbs in between.. all with this particular March day in mind.

Nothing made more sense to me than to ask my friend and climbing partner, Adam Wilcox to join me. He would climb Pinnacle and Odells with me. We were hiking in at 5:00 a.m. under fantastic moonlit skies. We reached the floor of the ravine as the sun rose at our backs. The morning was dawning bluebird but the wind was still blowing and I became very aware how cold it was while we were gearing up. My first gully would be Pinnacle for the fact that it is one of the most, if not -the- most, popular climb in the ravine. Conditions and weather were forecasted favorable and I knew that soon there would be throngs of climbers. I was not going to stand in line.

1224149547_yeA5q-M.jpg

Two Climbers heading for Damnation Gully across the Ravine in early morning.

I knew I'd want to rope up for the first pitch of Pinnacle. We did and Adam was gracious enough to let me lead the whole route. The ice was a little juicy in spots and baked out in others which made placing protection a bit of a challenge. Once we finished the first pitch, we roped simul-climbed the last two pitches and it went fairly quickly. Now the sun was in full force and the winds calmed to zero. I began roasting. All day it stayed super warm.. very enjoyable.

The plan was to descend South Gully but I got a decent look at it while hiking in and saw there was a bit more ice than last year which would have made down-climbing a bit spicer than I wanted the day's menu to be. So we opted for Escape Hatch which I had never been in. It added more area to be covered because of its location, but next thing I knew we were climbing up Odells Gully.

Odells Gully was a zoo. It was around 9:30, 10:00 am by this point and there were 4 roped teams in there. Luckily it's a wide gully and this year it got a ton of ice so there were many routes and lines to choose from. We made our way through the obstacle course and fellow climbers were cool with us solo climbing passed them and over and through their ropes. Thank you.

1224145117_6PuNN-M.jpg

One of the many climbers in Odells Gully.

The long snow field above the ice was more strenuous than I wanted it to be. I thought I would know how the day was going to play out early in the game but I had no idea at this point who was going to own who. The conditions were prime for fast travel but I didn't know if I was going to be fast enough to get them all done.

Now my focus was the northern side of the ravine, to North and Damnation (the longest gullies) and Yale. I was dreading North because I knew how long it was so that was my next target. We walked across the lip of the ravine to Diagonal Gully and I began my first descent of three that day. It was some tediousness.. from the first step to the last. I had heard someone triggered an avalanche the previous day in Diagonal but I didn't get any details. As I was down-climbing, I didn't see anything of concern and plodded my way down. My route took me over the top of the first pitch of Yale above the ice bulges and I ran into Jeff and Mats. A quick hello and I traversed across and over to the base of North Gully.

Along the way I looked up at Damnation Gully and saw it was in much tougher shape than last year. More ice, more steep. My immediate reaction was that I didn't feel comfortable solo climbing it. So without a second thought to talk me out of the first one, I closed the book on that option and did not attempt to climb Damnation. I still am not looking back on that decision and completely content with leaving the ravine that evening having climbed only 5 of the 6 that I had wanted to. There is no place for error while solo in Huntington as any fall anywhere would be unforgiving.

North Gully was a lot of fun. The upper snowfield was steeper than last year but just as exposed as I remember. I was getting tired and began the routine of 10-15 steps followed by a few second break to relieve my burning calves and keep myself from feeling exhausted in such a precarious place. I felt bad that I was dreading climbing this gully since I enjoy it so much when I'm in there! It was also extra enjoyable because I didn't run into anyone else for the entire length, although I kept hearing the screams "On belay!" "Off belay!" from the crowds in Yale Gully. I wish climbers would use walkie talkies.

1224146427_Dgamn-M.jpg

Obligatory tool shot on the upper reaches of North Gully.

Across the lip of the ravine again.. a walk I love to do.. and over to Diagonal Gully. I dropped my pack at Central's huge ass rock cairn and started my descent. This time there were two roped teams of two and a solo climber going up as I was going down. I kicked up some small snowballs that tumbled their way as I was climbing and apologized profusely, but of course it was no big deal.

1224147269_FNqWT-M.jpg

Down-climbing Diagonal for the second time.

Last edited:
Now here is where some may say I cheated, but to that I say.. well, nothing.. because I don't care. You see, Diagonal intersects Yale Gully at the top of the first pitch, when I ran into Jeff and Mats. I did not climb down to the base of the ice bulges that guard Yale Gully. Instead I started from the intersection and began climbing up. As it turned out, I saw Jeff and Mats again and I was super glad to see my friends during the course of this long day. Yale went by fairly quickly. The last 100 feet of this gully is my favorite place in the ravine. A wide open exposed snowfield with wind created snow sculptures at the top. It is hard to describe, but when I top out on Yale it really feels like I am literally climbing over the lip of the ravine.. even though I am.. but there's something crisp about it that I don't feel in the other gullies. Maybe I'm just on an exhaustion induced hallucination, I don't know.

A quick stop at my pack to refill my water bottle I have on my harness, then off to the races. Ok, same story. Back down Diagonal.

Central Gully is the easiest, technically speaking, of the gullies and also one of the shortest.. that's why I chose it for last. I knew I would be tired at this point so mentally, I would be motivated to finish my day knowing I only had Central left. As last year, it was getting late in the game and Huntington was clearing out of climbers. I only heard the sound of a pick swing occasionally echoing off the walls.. being alone in such a vast space is an awesome feeling. It also puts me in a hyper aware state (well, more so than usual) as errors are not an option. The down-climbing between the ice bulges on Yale to get to the base and over to Central was a little hairy so extra time was taken. Also, the snow slushed over in spots from the heat and looking down at 300 feet to the base of the Fan kept my steps slow and deliberate.

I was beginning to get exhausted now. My routine switched to 10 steps and then longer resting periods. It took a hell of a long time. I reminded myself to drink more water. I had gotten a bad cramp in my leg going up Yale but luckily it did not return. For some reason, my right wrist was in a lot of pain while I was down-climbing Diagonal and I winced every time I swung my tool. The climbing was... quiet. Just me and the ice and snow. That part of the climb I will probably remember the most. The top of Central finally came and I smiled as I sat at the huge ass rock cairn alone in the late afternoon eating my first bit of food after 12 hours.. some lame peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1224147905_8nJRS-M.jpg

Self-portrait on top of Central Gully.

Life was good again, but I needed one last bit of misery before my day was going to end. I decided to head down Escape Hatch again because of its location and also because if I went down Diagonal Gully again I would have gone insane. Going down Escape Hatch, as it turned out, didn't do much for my sanity either. It was slow and painful. I was aware of my state, totally devoid of energy, so I down-climbed it instead of walking down to avoid any slip-ups. It took me an hour to do this. I wanted to have some water but I couldn't open my water bottle with my wrists. I almost cried there. But I didn't. The damn gully just kept going and at one point I thought it was a viable option to just stop and lay down like some exhausted dog. Luckily I realized a second later that this was not a good idea and then laughed.

1224148575_SjzL9-M.jpg

Looking at North and Damnation Gullies from Escape Hatch in early evening.

I did get down and life was back to being good again. I looked back at the ravine on my way out, around 6:00 pm and felt pretty damn accomplished and happy with my day. I walked out as the sun was setting at my back. I almost cried. But I didn't. ;)

Last edited:
You Rock!

Don't worry, I cried for you. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I'd say you accomplished your goal and then some!

KDT

WOW...you did great Leaf. Awesome trip and wonderful pics.

Congratulations on your outstanding achievement! :cool:

awesome report and pictures! that is an insane amount of climbing! very inspiring too! i had a blast tagging along with you that day on landslide and shoestring, thanks for the invite! i cant wait to see what you pull off this summer! you are quite the climber! :) congrats on the day!

Hey leaf, you seem to have a great sense when your climbing, Ive known alot of technical climbers, and that to me, seperates the great from the average. I enjoy your reports, my advice to you, while your banging away in the east, keep the west in your head, the snowclimbs and gullys in CA and CO will make you cry for sure. Climbing in the east is a great tool, when I first went out west, all my years on Washington and other ice areas in NH served me very well indeed. I always look foward to your TR, be well.

Superb effort, Leaf! Good call on not soloing the ice bulge on Damnation, I think. Sounds like you were pretty much spent at the end, and as sometimes said after a good ice hockey game, "they left it all on the ice."

thanks all.. this day was a big deal for me in many ways, so i appreciate your words.

Hey leaf, you seem to have a great sense when your climbing, Ive known alot of technical climbers, and that to me, seperates the great from the average. I enjoy your reports, my advice to you, while your banging away in the east, keep the west in your head, the snowclimbs and gullys in CA and CO will make you cry for sure. Climbing in the east is a great tool, when I first went out west, all my years on Washington and other ice areas in NH served me very well indeed. I always look foward to your TR, be well.

thank you, sierra. oh yes.. i go west as much as i can and that usually ends up being twice a year.. one 'winter' climb and one 'summer' climb. my next objective is the north face of mt. hood. i am headed there the first week in may. i agree and feel lucky to live here among the ice in new hampshire.

Leafy, you rock :)

It looks like I'm going to have to start working out :eek:

the snowclimbs and gullys in CA and CO will make you cry for sure.
...and after you warm up on those you can come climb in WA :)

I guess OR works too ;)

AWESOME!!! Any idea how much vertical for the day?? I looked but couldn't find it!!!!

Taken from one of my posts last year.. which was taken from from websites by local guides (Art Mooney, Marc Chauvin) and summitpost:

Elevation Gains:
Pinkham to the floor of Huntington Ravine: ~2,100 ft
From the floor up the lower snow slopes to the base of a climb: ~400 ft
From the base of the climbs to the top out: ~900 ft average

super approximate as the gullies vary in length. north and damnation are the longest, so they are probably 900 feet.. followed by yale, then odells/central/pinnacle.

so.. roughly.. 2,100 feet of approach and between 4,500 and 5,000 feet of vertical UP climbing and of course the same amount DOWN climbing.