Recommended Shorter Winter Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guildhall

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my father and I will be heading up to the whites this coming weekend. We've done winter Lafayette and Washington. We'd like to try some new mountains.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a hike that is:

-Well-packed down
-Over 4,000 feet
-Less than 4 miles each way
-Excellent views.

With the coming snow this week I'd like to find one that would get some hikers as its more apt to be packed down.

Many thanks!

For under 8 miles round-trip, Pierce is probably the most-likely to be broken out. It certainly has excellent views (when not in the clouds.)

There are quite a few single peak treks with views for 8 miles or less.

Tim

A few that come to mind:

Moosilauke via Glencliff trail
Liberty
Cannon
Osceolas
Lincoln (if you didn't do it with Lafayette)
Monroe

You can check recent trail conditions for numerous sites by visiting:
http://trailsnh.com/

Long range forecast is looking good for the weekend - enjoy!

Took Crawford Path to Eisenhower on Sunday and it was like a sidewalk.

A few that come to mind:

Moosilauke via Glencliff trail
Liberty
Cannon
Osceolas
Lincoln (if you didn't do it with Lafayette)
Monroe

Thanks for the Suggestions

For Moosilauke would Glencliff be recommended over Beaver Brook trail this time of year?

Also, for Osceola's: Would Kangamangus trailhead be the best access?

Lastly, how is Liberty in terms of ice and steepness? Would it be comparable to the top sections of Jackson?

Did the Osceolas from the Kanc Saturday, recommend crampons for East Osceola, snowshoes for the rest. Descent of East was particularly tricky as trail is wicked hardpacked right now.

Have a great hike!

Another trail conditions site besides this one an the other mentioned
Is www.newenglandtrailconditions.com

I know of quite a few weekday hikers who
Post their conditions reports there!

Happy hiking!

Lol. Does Tom or Field offer the better overlooks?
Neither one have decent views. Of the two, Tom has slightly better, but ... they're limited.

On the plus side - you're likely to see Grey Jays on both peaks.

Thanks for the Suggestions

For Moosilauke would Glencliff be recommended over Beaver Brook trail this time of year?

Also, for Osceola's: Would Kangamangus trailhead be the best access?

Lastly, how is Liberty in terms of ice and steepness? Would it be comparable to the top sections of Jackson?

Glencliff would be our choice for a safer hike this time of year.

Osceolas - there was a large group there on Sat, so the trail is well broken out from both sides. The trail to Osceola from Tripoli road side is more gradual than the trail to East Osceola from the Kanc. Both are fun though. As Una Dogger pointed out the Chimney and/or bypass section may be tricky depending on what is occuring up north this week for weather.

Liberty has an open top for views, but is an easier approach at the top compared to Mt. Jackson. Tim Lucia was there this weekend and posted a trip report with photos:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39890

FYI - nice thing about http://trailsnh.com/ is that it picks up the trail conditons from numerous sites that people use so you can go to just one location to see them all.

As Una Dogger pointed out the Chimney and/or bypass section may be tricky depending on what is occuring up north this week for weather.

Bypass is in good shape and there is a small bushwack that subtracts the initial steep part.

The East Osceola Slide was covered in hardpack and easy to cross. However, the steep sections above and below the slide were very tricky. MSRs (or other aggressively cramponed-snowshoe) were fine on the way up -- a few ice bulges here and there that were easily negotiated. On the way down, the pitch was just too steep to feel comfortable to stay in snowshoes (although many of us did); our friends who donned crampons had a much more enjoyable time!

:)

Looks like there will be a bit of snow everywhere in the mountains this week! Lets hope the trails stay in great shape for weeks to come !

Tuckerman and Huntington ravine walk

Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the bowl and then take the Raymond Path over to the Huntington Ravine Trail and a visit to Huntington Ravine.

While this does not get you a 4K summit you do end up getting over 4000 feet;) and covering almost 8 miles. The views are amazing and the trails will be well packed. And you can check out the skiers and climbers doing their amazing stuff on the headwalls! This was a welcome trip to do last week while still recovering from a knee injury,.

Last edited:

Liberty has an open top for views, but is an easier approach at the top compared to Mt. Jackson. Tim Lucia was there this weekend and posted a trip report with photos:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39890

Thanks for the plug.

In the complete photo set is a profile of the trip:

Fullscreen%20capture%203202011%2081042%20PM.jpg

I haven't got a Jackson profile handy but I agree with Bob that Liberty is less steep than Jackson. Liberty can be broken into two stretches -- below the major stream crossing, it's less steep, and above it is steeper, but the grade is fairly constant at about 2500 feet over 2.25 miles or about 21%.

Tim

Shorter hikes in the Whites

Cannon Mtn. Great views- I rank as some of the best in the North East.

Use the trail for Lonesome Lake, you start at a higher point, though I think that it is more then 4 miles.

hey why not stay at the hut.