misspelled summit sign! - MacNaughton

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kase

Reaction score
I thought I was on MacNaughton the other day but the summit sign told me I climbed McNaughton. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think the person who put it up was Canadian. I read on the internet they can be clueless?

You are wrong, it is the Quebecers that are Clueless, not the Canadians. If you don't understand the difference it's normal, we get pretty confused ourselves. Ask someone from Manitoba, they are the smart ones (or maybe they just act smart ? I don't know, I'm clueless, help me !)

I think the person who put it up was Canadian. I read on the internet they can be clueless?

You are wrong, it is the Quebecers that are Clueless, not the Canadians. .......
To further confuse the issue, the person who put it up is not Canadian. He lives in Québec.... Does that mean he's more or less clueless? Or more clueless..... or less clueless?

To further confuse the issue, the person who put it up is not Canadian. He lives in Québec.... Does that mean he's more or less clueless? Or more clueless..... or less clueless?

Sounds to me like he has an axe to grind. (or maybe it needs grinding)

Fortunately, that Vermont fellow didn't suggest Mt Reagan, or worse yet, Mt Cheney. We'd never hear the last of it.
Now, let's not get political. I am sure you would be happy to know that the Adirondacks have a Cheney Cobble on the Adirondack Hundred Highest list. This mountain was named for John Cheney, a very distant 19th century cousin of the former Vice President. John Cheney was an Adirondack Guide who ironically played a role in the well known 1845 "Calamity" in the Adirondacks, which resulted in the accidental death of David Henderson. The Adirondacks HH list also contains a Henderson Mountain and Calamity Mountain. And the pond where the accident took place is now named Calamity Pond.

As far as Twisted Cedar or Bald Mountain is concerned. Everyone knows that such trees in the Adirondacks are known as cripplebush. And no, that is not a political comment either.

When I was on MacNaughton yesterday, I tried to walk over to the summit sign to write in the missing "A", but the snow depth prevented me. Maybe next time! ;)

Could ask the climber from Vermont to make a sign just as beautiful as the one he installed on Bald Peak!:D

Here, to right of newspaper article text, is the picture of the ugliest sign on the planet, would be more appropriate for a fish market:
http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x10254343/Locals-piqued-over-proposed-Bald-Peak-name

One of the comments to the article asks, "Who's ever seen a camel in Vermont?" Driving along Rt. 2 between Richmond and Jonesville, my wife says, "That looks like a camel over there." "Sure is," I said. Saw it again on our way back to Burlington.

teejay

Anyway, since I can see Bald Peak from my house I can report that the "Vermont" sign is nowhere to be seen on the summit!