Skiing Sherburne Trail this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I am thinking about skiing the Sherburne trail this weekend. While reading the Mt. Washington conditions I see references to the Sherburne trail as being ICY.

Pardon my ignorance but does that mean there is deep frozen snow on the trail or does it mean that the trail has been skied so much that it's packed down and icy?

Sorry I don't have specifics on Sherburne at the moment, but in general, the surfaces around here are HARD right now. Although we got up to 5" of snow on Monday (and still getting flurries now) it's over a base of SOLID snow or ice. Probably needs more snow or warmer temps to make Sherburne a bit more forgiving.

When the Sherby is icy, it's bomb-proof. We'll sometimes get a rain event, followed by freezing temps and the whole thing seizes up like a hockey rink. Fresh snow is great, but it will often get skied off by the traffic on a weekend, so keep your edges sharp.

Thank You

Thanks for all the information. I had a great day skiing the trail today. It was very sunny albeit windy and cold. :)

btw

A few footnotes:

BTW - after my sking I spoke shortly to a guy in the parking lot who had sneakers on and said he want all the way to Mt.Washington. The rest of his gear / clothing and his physique seemed in check except he was in sneakers.

He either changed his footwear or he was one tough dude. :D

---------

The wind was blowing hard that day. After I sat in the car I looked at my face in the rearview mirror and saw a lot of nose hair on my face. Nose hair usually entertains me inside my nostrils. I found it peculiar that perhaps the wind blew my nose hair right out ... until I realized I put a rabbit fur bomber hat on for my descent and yes the rabbit fur looked a lot like my nose hair. I'm sure you wanted to know this little footnote so here it is. :D