Mid-State/Wapack Trail Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
Is there a trail (or series of trails) that would make a reasonable connection between the Mid-State/Wapack trail and the Monadnock- Sunapee Greenway? I'm just trying to figure a way between the two trails that minimizes road walking.

I did the wapack N to S last year.
Don't know of any side trails from Packs to Monadnock.

Been wanting to BP the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway for a while now.
If you figure it out, let me know Swampy...

Steve-O...,
I'm trying to put together a "New England Traverse". The North-South Trail in RI (which goes right by my house) connects to the mid-state in Ma which connects to the Wapack. The two gaps that I have to smooth over are 1: Between Wapack and Monadnock and 2: Between Sunapee and the AT.Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Swampy!!

Not much of a "connection" but the SRKG will get you up to Prospect Hill........

Have fun!

Previously discussed HERE.

The new Cranberry Meadow Pond Trail connects the Wapack to Peterborough, but it's still a road walk from Peterborough to Dublin.

Connector trails in MA?

Swamp Yankee, I am thinking it may profit you to research whether there be connectors between the Mid-State Trail and the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail. That may be a better way to lessen the roadwalks.
Creag nan drochaid

There is an old railroad bed from Ashburnham, MA and runs north to Troy, NH. I know the M&M crosses the r.r. bed in the center of Troy. I am not sure where it crosses the Mid-State. That may be an option. Used to mt bike and x/c ski on parts of it. I know for a fact that some of the land was purchased (as in Winchendon, MA) but can easily be by-passed. Does go thru the center of Winchendon, Troy and Fitzwilliam Depot. Again not sure where in Ashburnham.

note: I have not been on these for 6+ years. Check snowmobile trail maps for the area.

Some ideas

Mt. Manadnock is crossed bythe Metacomet Manadnock Trail which connects to the Tully Trail in Royalston MA.

Now there are several WMA's and conservation lands between the Tully Trail and the Midstate trail where it goes near Ashburnham MA (through Ashburnham State Forest). This is getting close (5 miles or so)and it would require some bushwhacks (easy ones though), but a big advantage is the NE powerline that runs across the Midstate Trail near North Rutland that also makes a beeline for the Tully Trail not far South of the Metacomet Manadnock. Most of the powerlines in this area are pretty open to walking, horse and ATV use.

Last edited:
Swampy talk to Neighbor he's been there done the whole thing as PosterBoy