2011 spring wildflower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I clicked through the mint family on the CtBtnclScty site but somehow I missed it. (sometimes the link location shifts and you end up clicking "next white flower" instead...)

Harder one: damp location and bladelike leaves had me thinking this was an iris, but could it be a lily instead? I wasn't really paying attention to the leaves and didn't get a photo.

That is probably blue flag iris (Iris versicolor), or maybe the non-native yellow iris (Iris psuedocorus). They're both found in wetland habitats.

I was on an island in the CT River this week, and came across these:

alium tricoccum (ramps)
2789047440099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

chimaphila maculata (spotted wintergreen)
2669095000099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

Note the silty ground below the wintergreen. This island, which is generally above the flood zone, got almost completely flooded!

Okay, this will likely be the last "spring" wildflower I post for this year!
2930404340099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I know it is a terrible picture, but I'm trying to decide if this was either a Hooker's Orchid, or a Round-leaved orchid (or maybe something else altogether!)....I found this in western NH on the edge of the White Mountains.

My guess would be Platanthera orbiculata (large round-leaved orchid). Hooker's doesn't have bracts on the stem. I can't compare sizes, but I'll assume it's not the really large-flowered round-leaved orchid (P.macrophylla) which has flowers about 2" compared to P. orbiculata's 1" flowers.

Also Hooker's Orchid generally flowers in May/June and I think would be further gone than what you've got there.