2011 spring wildflower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just thinking about this! Saw my first crocuses in southern NH...which means that woodland flowers are about a week away. Probably some skunk cabbage getting going in the thawing wetlands...

Last year...

Last year, April 4th was the first day I found Hepatica in bloom on the southern slopes of the Pawtuckaway mountains. It was following a warm spell, and set up everything being about two weeks early last year.

I'll walk there today or tomorrow, but am not expecting to see these for atleast another week...

Last Year's Hepatica... by Jim Salge, on Flickr

Last year, April 4th was the first day I found Hepatica in bloom on the southern slopes of the Pawtuckaway mountains. It was following a warm spell, and set up everything being about two weeks early last year.

Hey Jim,

If I recall correctly, we ran into you (at the time, I didn't know you) and your friend leaving as we were heading up to the North Mountain in Pawtuckaway. I recall you guys mentioning to us that there were spring wildflowers out on the slopes and I took my very first wildflower photo ever! Your photo of the Hepatica is far better than mine...but you guys certainly piqued my interest in finding wildflowers from that point on!!! Thanks for that!

My shot...not nearly as nice as Jim's.
25145_1295522105674_1158978130_30732847_7681366_n.jpg

Karl

even if it's last year's, thanks for posting... some of us here are going crazy because it still feels like winter.

-----

On a slight tangent, I'm trying to start a botany Q&A site at stackexchange.com & it needs a bunch of people to follow it before it can be used. Please sign up at area51.stackexchange.com

Last edited:
In the upper Valley I've been scanning the raodsides fro coltsfoot as that is always the first wildfloweer I see. We've got a ways to go. Did I mention that it snowed here today?:(

ON the plus side, I think I have some neat places scoped out to see some flowers that are unusual in NH. I just have to be patient!:rolleyes:

Botany

I was teamed with a fella' for my volunteer week on Mount Washington. His wife is the state botanist for the White Mountains. I'll see what I can do to get her interested in this...

Thanks, Jason, for starting that Q&A site!

KDT

And Another...

True, I have a distinct advantage because I live quite a bit further south, but it took Judy to spot these today on the banks of the Lamprey River in Epping...

20110411-DSC_7550-1.jpg

Spring Beauty (Claytonia caroliniana)

Hi-res image HERE:

KDT

I searched a decent chunk of Pawtuckaway for hepatica on Sunday, didn't find any. Found some epigaea leaves (including one plant with early flowerbuds) and that's about it. But the first pond I stopped at was just writhing with salamanders - I could have filled a couple of buckets. And the boulderers had emerged from hibernation :)

Nice, Kevin!

I saw more colt's foot in a different location today. The bottom of Trescott Rd in Etna, NH. I know the rest of the early bloomers are right behind! I'm hoping folks will post pics of the tree/shrub blooms like last year. I really enjoyed some of those.

I searched a decent chunk of Pawtuckaway for hepatica on Sunday, didn't find any. Found some epigaea leaves (including one plant with early flowerbuds) and that's about it. But the first pond I stopped at was just writhing with salamanders - I could have filled a couple of buckets. And the boulderers had emerged from hibernation :)

I was in the Park today, and thought it was more sparse than years past...so you aren't alone.

It's amazing how fast spring has returned. Found Colts foot in Bedford today, and while not wild, the daffodils have doubled in size and bloomed in three days down here. Amazing what a little heat will do!

(Click photos to enlarge)

Found this colt's-foot near Boston, where it's listed as a noxious weed:

Also found this skunk cabbage easily thanks to its noxious odor:

Finally, these willow catkins were in a sunny spot on a dry hillside:

Last edited: