Shelter on 19 Mile Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
I've always noticed what appears to be a shelter near the dam about a mile up o19 Mile Brook Trail n the other side of the brook from the trail. Never see footprints leading to it. Isn't in the AMC guide.

Anyone know its use? I'd think it was related to the dam but looks fairly new.

Great Glen Trails has recently expanded their bike & ski trails in that area.

Some general background information may be in order. The Mt Washingon Auto Road (owner of Great Glen) used to own a lot more land at the base of the mountain. About 20 years ago they sold a large block of land to the USFS while retaining the rights for development on the remaining lands. They have slowly been developing the cross country ski area in hopes that they can ultimately support a year round destination resort. Thay had announced major plans to build a new resort hotel last year, but the lack of financing put the project on hold. I expect to see a continuation of the expansion of the ski trails to continue and at some point I expect the hotel will get built.

Anyone know its use? I'd think it was related to the dam but looks fairly new.

i was told years ago that the dam is used to divert water to the great glen facility for fire suppression. it sounds like it may have also been used for other purposes as well. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39156&highlight=nineteen+mile+brook
this thread links to an article talking about how it has been used to generate hydro power at the mt. washington auto road base site. the builiding must be some sort of pump house. i think it has had some work done to it sometime over the last few years. at one point around 2005 it looked pretty rough and had some significant damage done to one of its walls. one interesting experience i had was coming down nineteen mile to the sounds of heavy equipment and finding a crew with an excavator dredging out upstream of the dam to remove built of sand and sediment. they said they do it periodically to keep a clear flow into the system.

bryan

Thanks for the link Brian. I recall the earlier thread but not the pictures. I never realized what it looks like without being covered with snow and ice having never been up that way in non-winter conditions.

On my map, "Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains" by The Wilderness Map Company, a small trail is shown parallel to the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail at the area of the dam. Near where the sub-trail would approach the road, it turns to the south, parallelling Rte. 16 for 6 miles. There is another trail (no mileage given) that leads off that trail not far from the dam, also to the left, and it looks like it would make a nice little loop from the Great Glen Trails. I think I've seen that building for what seems like forever.

Last edited:
2757120020104742326S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

just stumbled upon this picture while going through some old photos. would have been sometime summer of 2005.

bryan