Rescue on Mount Jackson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to get lost on top of Jackson

Most likely she took the wrong trail off the summit. the Webster Cliff in either direction would take a hiker into timberline on routes that receive very little winter travel. This is particularly the case for the north direction. By the time one realizes they are not on the trail they came up (Webster/Jackson, Jackson branch) the only way to recover is to go back to the summit of Jackson. This is very difficult to accept when it is late and getting a bit tired.

Obviously, the lady was experienced and well equipped and there is a good chance that she might have gotten out by herself in the days before cell phones.

" the only way to recover is to go back to the summit of Jackson."

You could keep heading down the Webster Cliff trail (hang a right at the junction of the spur path to Webster); I made the same mistake on a windy cold day this winter, makes for a longer descent but better than going back up!
Glad she got out ok!

I was out with a group yesterday doing Jackson and encountered the person who had been lost coming down along with the Fish and Game folks. We didnt ask a lot of questions but it was pretty obvious where the general area was where the hiker got lost. It was on the Webster Jackson Trail before the summit and by the looks of the tracks in the woods, she never summited.

Even though the trail is quite obvious for 7/8 of its length, it looks like the combination of wind and snow squalls on Saturday had erased the trail. In some stretches it completely disappeared in areas without a lot of tree cover and I expect with the very high winds and marginal visibility on Saturday, that it would have been impossible to follow the trail and quite easy to miss a turn and accidently follow an open spot.

It was interesting to note that the only snowshoes carried by the Fish and Game crew were Sherpa's.

Last edited:
Jackson is tougher in the winter than its elevation and distance from the road would suggest. On the Webster-Jackson Trail, once you get to the area just below the summit cone, the trail tends to disappear. Tracks usually lead in several directions, mostly not up the actual trail, and people seem to find different ways of reaching the summit. Coming back down could easily be confusing with the multiple tracks.

Even though the trail is quite obvious for 7/8 of its length, it looks like the combination of wind and snow squalls on Saturday had erased the trail. In some stretches it completely disappeared in areas without a lot of tree cover
Coming up W-J in snow, I have twice circled the cone R to WCT. First time was a day like you describe where I lost the trail, 2nd time the first cliff was too icy for my taste. The whack is probably no worse than the trail if conditions are such that you can't find the trail.

Glad you are safe!

I was on Mount Washington listening in to the radio talk as it was happening and thought, "OMG". I am 210lbs and in pretty good shape, but 70mph winds can toss me around like a tumbleweed.

KDT

On the Webster-Jackson Trail, once you get to the area just below the summit cone, the trail tends to disappear.
Actually you come up to the base of a rock wall ... which can be tricky, especially in winter (icy). Most take the easiest way up that wall on the right side and turn left to traverse over the top. From the there it's pretty clear (open) where the trail goes ... up toward some open ledges and then to the summit cone. Was this the area of confusion, Mountain49?

When I did it last year about this time, there was no trail near the summit..I was lucky with a bluebird day, so I could see the summit easy and went right over towards Webster Cliff trail as this was the easiest route..I was actually standing above the fir trees so I had no issue..might have sucked in a whiteout...

With so many people getting lost on Jackson this year, wouldn't it make sense to add just a few trail blazes at key sections where all this confusion is occurring? I like keeping trails as wild as possible, but if so many people are going off course it's a hazard...

Reply to Dennis

I'm not sure. I went to the left, hiking to the summit, then followed the cairns to the top.I thought I went back the same way but when I reached a relatively flat area, the trail disappeared. There were 2 groups of hikers who'd summited perhaps 20 minutes before me, and their steps were already wiped out by the strong wind. I tried going further down, then cutting back to the left,but still could not see a trail. I called AMC Highland Center at 2:45pm, hoping that I could get 1 or 2 people to hike up and show me the way to get on the trail. Unfortunately this turned into a big production, with Fish and Game getting involved. I'm grateful they came but it was overkill. I had warm clothes and boots and spent the night in a protected area. I was cold but I was okay. I moved around to make sure I didn't get too cold. The next morning I was cold and hungry, but really okay. When I saw the helicopter close to 10am, I thought, oh man, please don't charge me for thisI was not prepared for the amount of interest this incident got. I got home from work today and there was a reporter wanting to interview me! I said no thanks!

With so many people getting lost on Jackson this year, wouldn't it make sense to add just a few trail blazes at key sections where all this confusion is occurring? I like keeping trails as wild as possible, but if so many people are going off course it's a hazard...

I think that's a fair question, but from a practical point of view, that summit doesn't have much to attach a blaze to. Coming up from the notch side, it's rather ledgy, and blazes painted on the rocks would be obscured by snow & ice. In years past, truck reflectors nailed to krumholz and colored poles have been used at treeline on the winter Tucks trail to guide people back into the trees. Something like that might be order if necessary for visibility.

Edit - Mountain49 - very glad to hear you're OK!

Glad that you are okay..

we were coming back down through town from Isolation and saw Fish and Game heading north and hoped for a happy outcome as it was not that nice a day

Sometimes in deep snow it can be hard finding the "shelf" to the summit there from up above the spring..have seen a couple spruce trap swimming up there in the past

When we climbed Jackson last winter, the entire summit area was pretty featureless, with just the tops of the spindly trees emerging from the snow. We just followed some tracks but definitely were not on the trail, weaving in and out of little thickets. Very easy to get into trouble if it hadn't been a gorgeous sunny day.

I have hiked with Julie a number of times and I think she handled herself quite well given the circumstances. She called for assistance and found shelter for the night. Well done Julie!