Mount Cabot and Mount Ingalls via the Red, Blue, Connector, and Scudder Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyohman

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 03/26/2011

Trail Conditions: Snow with infrequent bare patches towards the start. Snow consisted of a few inches of powder on top of hard-packed snow.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes and poles recommended.

Comments:

Ask for permission at the Philbrook Farm Inn to park in the lower lot. If uncertain where to park, then ask the innkeepers. I've never been turned away, but it's always polite to ask.

The trail heads west on an obvious tote road with some bare stretches here. It bends northward passing a few houses/cottages/cabins. In ~.25 miles the junction of the Red and Blue trails is encountered. Head left for the Red Trail. Not much further ahead is a junction where the remnants of a metal trash can hang from a tree. Head right to continue on the Red Trail. Further ahead is a confusing turn in the trail. Where the trail appears to continue on an unmaintained woods road, take a left across a brook. Just keep following the red blazes. From here, the trail angles upward with a brief respite before the final ascent to Cabot.

Before the peak is a signed trail that heads left to the Cabot-Ingalls col and the Scudder Trail. The blazes from here to Ingalls are orange. The trail heads down and is confusing at first. At this time of year, follow the swath, orange blazes, and orange flagging to the saddle where there will be Shelburne Trails Club signs for Ingalls and Cabot.

At the sag, head up again and enjoy the views from the lower ledges before the trail turns right. There are significant bare stretches here which can be avoided by bushwhacking on the right through the woods. The trail winds through the forest. In a couple of places, there are surprisingly steep pitches. At the last of these steep ascents, the trail flattens out on the quarter mile long trek to the peak. Here the trail meanders left on the upper ledges and hooks right to the summit in the trees. The orange-blazed trail continues past the summit sign for a short distance to Ray's Pond.

Return to Cabot the same way. At the junction with the Red Trail, turn left instead of right (the way of the ascent). There is an opening near the Cabot summit with views towards Maine. Continue following the blazes of the Blue Trail. There are yellow and orange blazes abound, but always follow blue. In some spots, it is recommended to slide down. Once off the steep upper section, the trail gradually descends and takes a more southerly approach to where it reconnects with the Red Trail at the beginning.

I'll wrap this up with odds 'n ends. Both the AMC White Mountain Guide 26th Edition and the Garmin Northeast 24k data suggested this trip would be ~4 miles roundtrip. My GPS measured it at 6.7 miles. Thanks to the STC for their work. A link to pictures and a file readable by Google Earth have been included. WARNING: For the faint of heart, one picture contains the representation of the number 15 in binary by human fingers.

Pictures
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49224&id=100000720654864&l=fe07ebb7b2

Looks like it was a nice day out there. You have some nice, blue skies it looks like, at the top.

Karl

Looks like it was a nice day out there. You have some nice, blue skies it looks like, at the top.

Karl

Thanks. Snow showers were mixed in too. More sun than here in Seattle now. Of course today is a "good" day for Seattle. Partly sunny.

Both the AMC White Mountain Guide 26th Edition and the Garmin Northeast 24k data suggested this trip would be ~4 miles roundtrip. My GPS measured it at 6.7 miles.
Thanks for filing a very descriptive report! And yes, based upon similar treks I've done in that area, I think your GPS measured mileage of 6.7 is quite accurate for the particular route that you followed.

Its nice area to go hiking in the summer and fall, but one caution is that the area has a very healthy population of wood ticks for the north country (obviously not an issue with snow on the ground). I havent seen deer ticks but there is an active deer population in the area so be prepared when the snow melts away. I think the wood ticks have worked their way up the androscoggin river valley over the years as when I first moved here, they werent an issue.

Given the progress that the STA made last year, I expect the trails are going to be in great shape this summer. There was talk of recreating the former trail to the DC crash site from the Ingalls valley, I look forward to it if it happens.

@1HappyHiker Thanks.
@Peakbagger That's neat about the trail to the DC crash site. From what I've read here, people still find their way there. I think usually while summitting Mt Success.