Fees to hike the Long Trail!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
https://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=242

News & Information

Club to Charge Hikers

“It’s only fair,” states Prickles Porcupine

General Contact: Prickles Porcupine
Media Contact: Prickles Porcupine
Phone: porcupines don't use phones
Posted: 04/01/2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 1, 2011

After one-hundred years of a Long Trail system free to anyone with the ability and desire to follow the white blazes, the Green Mountain Club will start charging hikers who want to use the Long Trail. Beginning April 1, 2011, the Turnstiles at Trailheads Project will begin with design planning and a search for used subway turnstiles on eBay.

The project, launched by GMC Mascot Prickles Porcupine, is an effort to make paying for Long Trail protection and maintenance fair. The turnstiles will accept cash and membership cards. “You know, for decades the Long Trail has been supported by a handful of thoughtful folks. 200,000 people hike on some part of the Long Trail each year, yet only 5% of the people who use the trail actually give back. It’s time to stop taking advantage of people’s goodwill toward maintaining this special resource and start making the people who use the trail pay for it,” stated Prickles as she pounded the table emphatically with her paw. “Who’s with me?”

When asked how the turnstiles would affect the aesthetics of a trailhead, Prickles affirmed, “turnstiles are a lot like natural tree stumps, only they are made out of metal and require money. Other than expecting a long line at each trailhead and the occasional frustration if a potential hiker doesn’t have cash and the ATM machine is broken—oh, yes, ATM’s will be installed for the convenience of those who don’t remember to bring cash on the trail—everything about the Vermont hiking experience will stay exactly the same. What’s the big deal?”

When approached, Green Mountain Club Staff declined to comment.

I found this after hearing that the Long Trail Festival was cancelled and went to the GMC site hoping to see it was part of an April Fool's joke. Since this was the joke, I figure the festival really is cancelled.