Your predictions on Ice-out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Been checking the weather and some webcams in the Adirondacks and waiting for ice-out. Anyone been paddling? Anyone see signs of liquid H2O out there?

NWS predicts temps in the 60s this weekend for Saranac Lake.

I say ice-out...hmmm...April 16th!

I live just across the border from the Câteaugay Lakes, NY. We get an ice jam when the ice goes out here and another one when it goes out in NYS. Early thaws and rains will make the conditions less extreme this year, but the water is high and that suggests that the ice is beginning to go. Given the weather forecasts it should be next week. Higher up it will be later, of course.

I always thought that the Ice-out was the award winning Margarita at the Rockburn Pub.

Fish Creek had open sections of water yesterday, but all of the ponds in the vicinity still had fairly thick ice.

Thanks DSettahr,
Any updates you can provide are really appreciated. In little over 1 week, I'm hoping to be paddling on the Saranac Lakes with friends. I'm starting to feel a little pessimistic.

Thanks DSettahr,
Any updates you can provide are really appreciated. In little over 1 week, I'm hoping to be paddling on the Saranac Lakes with friends. I'm starting to feel a little pessimistic.

Yeah, the Saranac Lakes look to be pretty well iced over still.

You might try the Raquette instead, it was wide open in the vicinity of Stony Creek and Hemlock Hill yesterday.

Was thinking as an alternative the Oswegatchie and Five ponds maybe. Good wilderness experience there. That river ought to be open, right?
Thanks.

Was thinking as an alternative the Oswegatchie and Five ponds maybe. Good wilderness experience there. That river ought to be open, right?
Thanks.

Maybe. While rivers do tend to open up earlier than pods due to the quick flowing current, the Oswegatchie isn't exactly what I think of as a "fast flowing river." I wouldn't be surprised if you encountered some ice or ice jams on it (especially with all the beaver dams).

I knew that was coming :eek:
Keeping my fingers crossed. Just spoke with a ranger near the Saranacs...if the wind picks up, that might help with the flow of ice. Lake Flower is open I was told...its Upper and Middle I'm concerned about.
Thanks again.

I knew that was coming :eek:
Keeping my fingers crossed. Just spoke with a ranger near the Saranacs...if the wind picks up, that might help with the flow of ice. Lake Flower is open I was told...its Upper and Middle I'm concerned about.
Thanks again.

How are you posting this at 10:32 am? :confused:
and the earlier post was like 9:10 am :rolleyes:

Rivers should be open now, but getting to them can be a problem until the seasonal roads open in early May.

The rivers near Lake Champlain are open. For example the LaMoille from Milton Dam to the lake delta is all open. I have seen a couple of paddlers out there on my drive home last week. Although not really wilderness it is a very nice paddle with allot of wildlife to see. I personally do not start to paddle until mid May at the earliest just for fear of falling in, The water can't be much over 34 degrees F. I would guess the rivers on the NY side would also be open. But they are also very high and swift moving, even in the flats, I would not go on them without a dry suit or stay real close to shore. And ofcourse Lake Champlain itself is mostly open now except for the bays and shallows. Even Mallett's bay melted out a bit this weekend.

This is the Milton Dam I was referring to. This is normally flat water under the dam in summer time. Pretty much all of the ice looks to be gone from lake Champlain now. It is over 100' (flood stage) as of today. From the dam to the lake is about a 4-5 hour paddle one way for me when the water is calm (I do not do it one trip, I do sections of it). Be careful if you go.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...nt-boater-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Trip up North was cxled do to ice on the Saranacs :mad: so we go south into the NJ pine barrens.