Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Term Impact of government Shutdown on WMNF

Short Term Impact of government Shutdown on WMNF

This thread is intended to determine the actual short term impacts to the WMNF of a government shutdown and is not intended to become a general commentary on the reasons for the shutdown or in general political commentary

I expect that this could be a usefull thread if we keep the politics out of it, despite the temptation.

Some questions I have that would be an example of short term impacts that could impact peoples planned trips this weekend.

Barnes Field - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Other WMNF campgrounds - Open or closed?

Lincoln Woods Parking Lot - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Tuckermans Rangers - Deemed essential non essential?

Parking Pass enforcement - Deemed essential or non essential? (remember the intent is not to debate parking passes, it is to determine short term impacts).

Impact to rescues? (note NH F&G runs rescues but federal employees participate)

Regional Ranger Stations - Closed and locked?

Very useful Thread

Peakbagger, I thank you for launching this thread. I am reasonably sure our community will use it as intended, a place to REPORT actual changes and closures so we can plan accordingly. We all have our politics, and everyone's ox is getting gored, but there be many other websites where that can be debated. This thread will be most useful when most factual.
    BTW, will the Forest Supervisor's office put out a statement as to what is closed, and where can people read it if it happens?
    Creag nan drochaid

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    How about a little more background on this. Do you have any links that would be helpful in understanding what is going on?
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Good, useful information on closures, changes, restrictions, is welcomed - political commentary not.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Good artlcle on boston.com about what would be closed:
    http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...?p1=News_links

According to that article, "national parks" would be shut down. Not sure if that also means national forests, monuments, etc.

Anyone remember what happened to tourism during the 1995 government shutdown?

Might be a good time to rebuild that Owl's Head cairn?

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    Might be a good time to rebuild that Owl's Head cairn?
    ....and you could even pee in the snowbank at the trailhead and not get fined!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I was able to find this statement:
    All developed campgrounds on national forest property will be closed, however, Cloudman said

On page 3 of this ARTICLE that addresses the concern of how the potential shutdown would affect an ongoing fire fight in Colorado. I'm not sure if the statement applies to just Colorado Natl Forests or nationwide.

I can't see the contractor that operates the WMNF campgrounds (Pro-Sports,Inc.) turning his back on that revenue right at the start of the busy season. My guess is that the campgrounds will somehow remain open.
    I agree with Ranxerox !!!!

Swampyankee

It's hard to imagine all of the regional impacts if this happens. Plenty of opportunity for undesirable effects in New England. We're even more vested in hoping that it doesn't happen since we've planned our first ever vacation to DC for week after next
    Mark

Going to the mountains is going home.
    - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/

Get out those loppers and let's get biking in the pemi!!!

Anybody have a chopper to help install a new suspension bridge?????
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Let's not forget Acadia. That's a National Park, not a National Forest. Its roads have gates. Not only will its campgrounds be closed, but potentially people won't even be able to access the park loop road, and possibly (unsure?) the summits. While the rest of the Bar Harbor area is nice, it still will do a huge number on tourism as many may just cancel their visits.

Also, do Barnes Field and Lincoln Woods even have gates that could be closed?
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Since many campgrounds are vendor operated, I'd expect those to be open.

Volunteers also work at places like Lincoln Woods, unsure if they keep a volunteer away since they don't get paid.

Can't close a national forest, not enough gates, (why it makes a poor choice to turn into a national park at this point - anyone remember the White Mt. National Park threads)

Can't think they let a forest fire burn out of control, especially if homes & businesses may be impacted.

I'd be surprised if we go more than two weeks with the government closed. It's a lot of posturing.

When this topic came up on CNBC's website & what it might mean to Wall Street, you should have read the comments. The fire in Colorado isn't that hot as the flames in the comment section. (Haven't seen flames like that since the old M&M board on outdoors.org)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    This thread is intended to determine the actual short term impacts to the WMNF of a government shutdown and is not intended to become a general commentary on the reasons for the shutdown or in general political commentary

I expect that this could be a usefull thread if we keep the politics out of it, despite the temptation.

Some questions I have that would be an example of short term impacts that could impact peoples planned trips this weekend.

Barnes Field - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Other WMNF campgrounds - Open or closed?

Lincoln Woods Parking Lot - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Tuckermans Rangers - Deemed essential non essential?

Parking Pass enforcement - Deemed essential or non essential? (remember the intent is not to debate parking passes, it is to determine short term impacts).

Impact to rescues? (note NH F&G runs rescues but federal employees participate)

Regional Ranger Stations - Closed and locked
    ?
    The last two would be my biggest concern.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

Let's see. There would be time to lock the gates and turn off the lights but no time to ...

Does this mean no parking fees either?

I guess this is truly an opportunity for a wilderness experience ... you're on your own ... watch out for rustlers, poachers and thieves ... anyone for a vigilante committee?

Let 'er buck! Yeehaaaaaa