Short Term Impact of government Shutdown on WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is intended to determine the actual short term impacts to the WMNF of a government shutdown and is not intended to become a general commentary on the reasons for the shutdown or in general political commentary

I expect that this could be a usefull thread if we keep the politics out of it, despite the temptation.

Some questions I have that would be an example of short term impacts that could impact peoples planned trips this weekend.

Barnes Field - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Other WMNF campgrounds - Open or closed?

Lincoln Woods Parking Lot - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Tuckermans Rangers - Deemed essential non essential?

Parking Pass enforcement - Deemed essential or non essential? (remember the intent is not to debate parking passes, it is to determine short term impacts).

Impact to rescues? (note NH F&G runs rescues but federal employees participate)

Regional Ranger Stations - Closed and locked?

Very useful Thread

Peakbagger, I thank you for launching this thread. I am reasonably sure our community will use it as intended, a place to REPORT actual changes and closures so we can plan accordingly. We all have our politics, and everyone's ox is getting gored, but there be many other websites where that can be debated. This thread will be most useful when most factual.
BTW, will the Forest Supervisor's office put out a statement as to what is closed, and where can people read it if it happens?
Creag nan drochaid

Might be a good time to rebuild that Owl's Head cairn? :D

I was able to find this statement:
All developed campgrounds on national forest property will be closed, however, Cloudman said

On page 3 of this ARTICLE that addresses the concern of how the potential shutdown would affect an ongoing fire fight in Colorado. I'm not sure if the statement applies to just Colorado Natl Forests or nationwide.

I can't see the contractor that operates the WMNF campgrounds (Pro-Sports,Inc.) turning his back on that revenue right at the start of the busy season. My guess is that the campgrounds will somehow remain open.

It's hard to imagine all of the regional impacts if this happens. Plenty of opportunity for undesirable effects in New England. We're even more vested in hoping that it doesn't happen since we've planned our first ever vacation to DC for week after next :mad:

Let's not forget Acadia. That's a National Park, not a National Forest. Its roads have gates. Not only will its campgrounds be closed, but potentially people won't even be able to access the park loop road, and possibly (unsure?) the summits. While the rest of the Bar Harbor area is nice, it still will do a huge number on tourism as many may just cancel their visits.

Also, do Barnes Field and Lincoln Woods even have gates that could be closed?

Since many campgrounds are vendor operated, I'd expect those to be open.

Volunteers also work at places like Lincoln Woods, unsure if they keep a volunteer away since they don't get paid.

Can't close a national forest, not enough gates, (why it makes a poor choice to turn into a national park at this point - anyone remember the White Mt. National Park threads)

Can't think they let a forest fire burn out of control, especially if homes & businesses may be impacted.

I'd be surprised if we go more than two weeks with the government closed. It's a lot of posturing.

When this topic came up on CNBC's website & what it might mean to Wall Street, you should have read the comments. The fire in Colorado isn't that hot as the flames in the comment section. (Haven't seen flames like that since the old M&M board on outdoors.org)

This thread is intended to determine the actual short term impacts to the WMNF of a government shutdown and is not intended to become a general commentary on the reasons for the shutdown or in general political commentary

I expect that this could be a usefull thread if we keep the politics out of it, despite the temptation.

Some questions I have that would be an example of short term impacts that could impact peoples planned trips this weekend.

Barnes Field - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Other WMNF campgrounds - Open or closed?

Lincoln Woods Parking Lot - Open but unattended or closed and gate locked?

Tuckermans Rangers - Deemed essential non essential?

Parking Pass enforcement - Deemed essential or non essential? (remember the intent is not to debate parking passes, it is to determine short term impacts).

Impact to rescues? (note NH F&G runs rescues but federal employees participate)

Regional Ranger Stations - Closed and locked
?

The last two would be my biggest concern.

Let's see. There would be time to lock the gates and turn off the lights but no time to ...

Does this mean no parking fees either?

I guess this is truly an opportunity for a wilderness experience ... you're on your own ... watch out for rustlers, poachers and thieves ... anyone for a vigilante committee?

Let 'er buck! Yeehaaaaaa :D

Pemi

Now, now, Becca. No one said anything about biking. However, the XC skiing is a bit tough when you have to force your way through branches intruding on the trail corridor, and the odd bit of a trim here and there can add much to the trail experience... Let us, with Ben Franklin, thank God that He made us reasonable creatures, since that enables us to find a reason for whatever we want to do. Creag nan drochaid

Now, now, Becca. No one said anything about biking. However, the XC skiing is a bit tough when you have to force your way through branches intruding on the trail corridor, and the odd bit of a trim here and there can add much to the trail experience... Let us, with Ben Franklin, thank God that He made us reasonable creatures, since that enables us to find a reason for whatever we want to do. Creag nan drochaid

And everybody said, "AMEN!!!!" :D

Let them ride!!!! Except, now, *OH NO* how will they get from their car to the trailhead if the lot is gated??? When will it end???? :D

Last edited:
Doesn't sound so bad to me it's just that the wrong people will be going without pay. :mad:

To bad we can't pick who or what gets shut down. :)