Short Term Impact of government Shutdown on WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll never know what would have happened…

WASHINGTON—Perilously close to a government shutdown, congressional leaders reached agreement with the White House late Friday night on a deal to cut tens of billions of dollars in federal spending and avert the closure.

Article

Because drafting and then passing the broader legislation could take days, congressional leaders raced to approve a stopgap measure to prevent the onset of the first shutdown in 15 years, due to begin at midnight. Officials said it would keep the government in funds through the middle of next week.

I wouldn't delete it. Perhaps close it. I don't see any need to completely remove the information.

Besides, who knows, we could be facing the same issue again in a few weeks! The current deal extends funding only through April 15.

Also,

Here's another article on how this will effect National Parks.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/04/08/no-picnic-national-parks-could-close/

Affect.
emoteng101.gif
;) :)

Last edited:
Well since the thread might disappear.
I didn't respond previously because I couldn't think of anything to say that was non political about Nat'l Park or Forest closures.

A couple of things do stand out though.
I think the fact that the Campgrounds are run by a group called Pro-Sports- Inc to me is not a good sign... privatization of our public lands.
I do think that now would be a good time for people to do whatever they want, good or bad.

Though this round of closures might have temporarily been averted it's obvious more cuts and cut backs to most everything we hold dear with our Public lands, is going to happen.
So do we bring bolt cutters to open what is gated or locked ? If not us there are many forces who would take our places to do just that... to pay the war debt for example...in the name of god or whatever.
Few things could provide such a perfect opportunity than to shut off the public from public lands...then it is truly ripe for the plundering...err I mean economic recovery.
(I think that is a non political statement)

Last edited:
Well since the thread might disappear.
I didn't respond previously because I couldn't think of anything to say that was non political about Nat'l Park or Forest closures.

(I think that is a non political statement)

Political or not it's still awfully negative. :(

The sun's out. Temps are nice. I'm going to take a nice walk with the dogs. Then clean up the bike and go for a ride! :D:D

Since many campgrounds are vendor operated, I'd expect those to be open.

Volunteers also work at places like Lincoln Woods, unsure if they keep a volunteer away since they don't get paid.

Can't close a national forest, not enough gates, (why it makes a poor choice to turn into a national park at this point - anyone remember the White Mt. National Park threads)

Can't think they let a forest fire burn out of control, especially if homes & businesses may be impacted.
I believe that volunteers and contractors could be required to shut down due to lack of supervision

Emergency operations would not be affected, so they could still put out fires and arrest anyone who trespassed

Last time they actually closed the parks, it was deliberately made more extreme than necessary to get voters mad at Congress - and it worked. (The Feds refused to allow national parks to be operated by state park personnel to allow tourism to continue.) This time, the leaders have fortunately decided to compromise.

I thought the Ken Burns documentary on National Parks was excellent and gives us a pretty good idea of how things could wind up based on how the history of National Parks and Forests existed in times of funding and non funding....and some of the underlying reasons.

It has also occurred to me that many people probably don't remember when Parks were free and open to the public. It was during the ----- administration. . I was in my 20's and thought it was a great idea. Still do. I don't know how long it lasted, a few years I think it was.

In the WMNF, speaking with a ranger on a course I was taking a while back, I was reminded when motorcycle groups dominated the Covered wooded bridge by the Gorge and charged "tolls" to go across.

To keep it to 'what would happen short term' answer in the WMNF I think sanitation would be one of the 1st problems. Lot's of people make for lots of....well you know.

If the Forest ever were to be declared closed, we as hikers would be criminals to go there.....just thought I would mention that....or perhaps it was that Robin Hood movie I just saw....

Last edited:
I wouldn't delete it. Perhaps close it. I don't see any need to completely remove the information.

Besides, who knows, we could be facing the same issue again in a few weeks! The current deal extends funding only through April 15.

Also,

Affect.
emoteng101.gif
;) :)

Perhaps I miss understood something about it being not being a done deal. My understanding is that it is only an extension as this person stated

I believe that volunteers and contractors could be required to shut down due to lack of supervision.
Ultimately it'd on a case-by-case basis and depends on the decisions of those implementing. Contractors aren't necessarily included in the shutdown but may be stood down as a result. Similar to the Federal employee pay freeze imposed by the President late last year, where certain contractor salaries were frozen later.

Hopefully it'll never be an issue, but I doubt one could find out, for certain, in advance.

MOOT POINT!!!
The government IS NOT SHUTTING DOWN. You can theorize all you want. No point to this thread.

Bye

The extension is only for one week. The government still very well could shut down on Friday.