Tuckerman's today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
Never saw anything like it! We arrived at 9AM to hike Lowe's Bald Spot. The 3 lots at Pinkham were full and cars were parked on Rte 16 for 3/4 of a mile or so.

Hope everyone skied safely - there must have been a few mishaps with sooo many people there. If anyone was thinking of going tomorrow, get there early, or better yet, try to wait till midweek.

We had a great hike to the Bald Spot on a bluebird day. 63 degrees on the way down. Only saw 4 other hikers on the trail.

Take care everyone!

didn't see *any* skiers in the great gulf area or anywhere in the northern presies - but, snow cover seems a lot lighter than in past years...

didn't see *any* skiers in the great gulf area or anywhere in the northern presies - but, snow cover seems a lot lighter than in past years...

agreed, west side of washington snowfields much reduced from just a couple weeks ago...east side however --amazing snow pack! if you are a back country skier and you are not there....you are missing out bigtime.

Park Rangers estimated about 2,000 people skiing in the Ravines on Saturday. I went out for a morning jog up Odells Gully and then walked over to the lip of Tucks to check out the scene. It was morning and the masses were gathered waiting for the snow to soften a bit. Yep, it's spring skiing season.

1246846151_4VtsJ-S.jpg

Haha.. sweet!!

I got only 500 weird looks coming down at 11:30.

The funniest spectacle I saw saturday was the skier dsude wearing a one piece longjohn type bottom that looked like underwear and nylon stockings sewn together. Uh....dude...not really going to attract the ladies in that one!! :eek:

Park Rangers estimated about 2,000 people skiing in the Ravines on Saturday.

Holy underwear!! So much for backcountry solitude... :eek:

w7xman said:
But probably met about 1500 confused glances on the way down that morning...

leaf said:
I got only 500 weird looks coming down at 11:30.

So what you're effectively saying, Court, is that you're only 1/3 as weird as Jim...? ;)

I'm coming to Tux Friday night for Saturday skiing; staying near N. Conway. I'm coming from NY State through Woodstock, VT.

Does anyone know: Is it fastest to go through Warren, NH and take Rte 118 to Lincoln (the way I've gone in the past)? Or are there any alternate routes? Anyone know of any issues on that leg of 118 right now?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

If you've driven it, then you know exactly what it is. Frost heaves, horrid pavement, twists, turns, and in season, moose. 25A->118->112 is a pretty direct route, I never hesitate to drive it except in bad weather in winter, or in the dark.

You could either get to Lebanon and take 4->118->25 and head out to I-93 in Plymouth, or be a little crazy and go up I-91 to Rte 302 and go through Lisbon, Littleton and Twin Mountain back down to N Conway.

: Is it fastest to go through Warren, NH and take Rte 118 to Lincoln (the way I've gone in the past)? Anyone know of any issues on that leg of 118 right now?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
I would not drive 118 this time of year- and I have an 11 year old truck...
Also be prepared for the crowds- it is the Inferno Pentathlon Saturday at Tux

Thanks. I know 118 can be bad; I just wanted to make sure it wasn't closed or something like that. I did look at the alternate routes; just not sure what's fastest. If 118 is particularly bad this year, Interstates are so much faster, I may do the Plymouth thing. My car gets to Rumney on autopilot anyway...

Other than the obvious moose (and especially the inobvious moose!) is there any trouble on the Kanc this spring?

Thanks for all the help!

Ay

Interstates are the Way to go. If you are not committed to staying in NoCo Gorham is a quicker alternative. If you have to stay in NoCo, I would take all possible interstates to Meredith NH and take 25 to Rt 16.

Also be prepared for the crowds- it is the Inferno Pentathlon Saturday at Tux
I'm just going to reiterate what Bob said here. There will be racers and alot of spectators in Tuckermans.. they put up ski gates and everything... going to be an awesome time, but also might not be the best time to ski in there. Go early if anything I'm guessing.

Well you know I wasn't expecting "solitude." :rolleyes: :p (Or I'd be over in Gulf of Slides.)

Plus, this is the day I have. I don't have the luxury to pick another day. Plus, we've got a couple first time visitors with us, so we planned a mellow day in any event.

From reading the avy report, surfaces should be fast. The race could be a good (scary) event to watch - maybe I should bring my patrol pack... :eek: :D