Monroe, Washington, Isolation 4/9/11 Part I

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
It was Megan's first hike of Isolation. We met at Rocky Branch, and then drove to the Cog, where our adventure began. :)

Ammo is still in great shape. Very deep consolidated base, no monorail yet, snowshoes highly recommended.
ry%3D400

We got to treeline and decided to bypass Lakes of The Clouds Hut and take the snowfields directly to Monroe.

ry%3D400

On the Monroe Summit, we all put on our crampons, and headed down the snowfields on the East side, and then tracked over to the hut, where we met up with OldMan. Then we headed up the Crawford Path towards Washington. The snowfields have dramatically decreased since the last day of Winter.

Eric looks back at the Southerns
ry%3D400

The snowfields that remain were a mix of hardpack, glare ice, and wind deposited ice. It was pretty cool. We got to the base of the cone, and took a direct and quite steep route to the summit, topping out by the wooden deck.

Bryan, Megan, Eric and Una on Washington
ry%3D400

It was shaping up to be a wicked nice day. Just enough wind to "keep it real". We had lunch in the breezeway on the summit. We only saw three other hikers, but about a zillion skiers were out. Its awesome to see others enjoying the mountains in thier own way. As someone said, "Spring backcountry skiers have a short, intense season"...well said. I read that Pinkham estimated 2000 skiers on saturday. I believe it!

We headed down the snowfields to the Lip of Tuckerman's Ravine. Folks were skiing past down from the summit. We had a great time hanging out watching them!
ry%3D400

One look back to Washington
ry%3D400

Monroe, Washington and Isolation, Part II

We reached the Davis Path, and the second part of the day began
ry%3D400

The Davis Path started out pretty icy. At this point, images of sausage pizza danced in my head. Looking ahead, I could see nothing but an icefield of cheesy pizza goodness. Clearly, it was time for a snack.

ry%3D400

It was hard to convince Megan that everyone goes this way to Isolation, but she seemed to enjoy being a bit different that the average hiker. We knew we'd found a great new friend in her!

ry%3D400

We dropped below treeline and instantly lost the trail. We took a visual on North Isolation, and combined with a GPS track from a previous hike, we dropped to the col in fairly open woods on a very consolidated snowpack. Unique views back to Washington

ry%3D400

Somewhere near North Isolation we picked up the Davis Path again.
ry%3D400

Megan, Eric and Bryan on Isolation. She got her peak! She's only about ten peaks away from her NH48 All Season. Way to go, Megan!
ry%3D400

Eric, Bryan and myself on Iso -- great team for this! A day I've been dreaming of for three years now -- turned back on my first attempt up Glen Boulder --this is now my favorite approach to Isolation!
ry%3D400

Always so satisfying for me to look back on a big day at all the ground covered, especially on the routes less travelled.

ry%3D400

Through the glades on the Engine Hill BW, always a superb way to end the day.

ry%3D400

Thanks so much to Eric, Bryan and Megan for being up for Mission So-Possible. :) April is a tough time to be out there, and with winter officially over, the trails are pretty quiet. Seems like the only ones we see are those we know who are working on the peaks month to month.

A fantastic day. 10.5 hours of fun in the woods. Two distinct hikes combined into one. Several times someone would begin to say something like "remember that time?...oh yeah, that was today!!!". A timeless hike and a great adventure...my first and long awaited Presi Transverse!!!

Spot Adventure Page with Map
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=248871

16.1 Miles, 10.5 Hours

Last edited:
Sounds like a great Hike Una and others. Congrats.

Thanks for sharing the pics. That is my favorite way to do isolation as well. Doesn't it seem like it's all donwnhill that way?

Wow, you guys had a busy weekend! Again, wonderful photos. Looks like you guys had fantastic skies on the 9th. I really like your pic "one look back at Wash" - Very nice!

Karl

Great report and nice photos. I was there Saturday as well and went up Ammo for a short while and then up Monroe Brook Ravine directly to the summit of Monroe. As you will see by the attached photos, it makes a great snow climb in the right conditions.

Interesting combination, as I usually hike alone I don't think of car spots

Yes, it does....that is, until you start climbing the numerous PUDS in the Dry River Wilderness! :D

Ahhh....yes. There are those. So easy to forget about PUDs.

I try to think of them as "training hills" but that doesn't always help either.