Recommendations for overnight near or around Galehead Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Quick question about throwing down a tent around Galehead Hut. We're planning a overnight to tag Garfield, Galehead and the Twins and figured plopping down for the night around Galehead Hut might be a good middle ground. Been there during summer, but not during winter (which it presumably still is up there!). Any suggestions in so far as slope, exposure, away from the hut proper or not would be appreciated. Or, just find a nice flat spot and go to it? Thanks!

There is officially a 1/4 mile no-camping zone around the hut which takes up most of the level ground nearby. The terrain heading up S Twin is kinda steep, you'd be better off to look near Gale River Trail

Just outside the 1/4 mile restricted area sign at most huts/campsites/shelters there is a bootleg site. I think the one nearest Galehead is on the west side toward Garfield.

Garfield Ridge Tentsite could fit the bill, unless that's too close to Garfield for you?

Thanks everyone.
I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what we find. Michael, if we decide to do a more limited loop Garfield/Galehead, we'll def. use the tent platforms!

As long as your packing water and don't need to have the source nearby you could possibly get off trail 200ft to the south on the rise along the ridge between Garfield and the hut. Seems to me both of those rises had some nice views out into the Pemi. I prefer the big loop you mentioned clockwise since North Twin is a gentler climb than South. If you are ambitious enough going that way to make it to the tentsite you could always cook a sunrise breakfast on Garfield summit after breaking camp. I could picture a very sweet Easter Sunrise from there!;)

Tent platforms are difficult to rely on in winter/snow conditions. Unless they are continuously cleared off of snow during the winter, more than likely they will be covered with snow and possibly they will be unable to find.

The benefit of camping in snow is that you do not need to find a designated tent site or a level surface. Just pick your spot, level or not, and tamp it down with snow shoes.

If you have a shovel you can carve into the snow and build a wall around your tent for better protection from the wind. (picture below)

When the weather is favorable, I like to carve a kitchen area into snow for cooking, including a bench to sit on. (picture below)

Last edited: