Lynx tracks in NH confirmed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if people can access this link or not:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15618&id=105291626223164

A bunch of pictures of very clear tracks.

"Last week NH Fish and Game Regional Biologist and Assistant Regional Biologist confirmed tracks from three Lynx in Pittsburg, NH. This could be evidence of the first breeding population known in NH!"

Brian

"Last week NH Fish and Game Regional Biologist and Assistant Regional Biologist confirmed tracks from three Lynx in Pittsburg, NH. This could be evidence of the first breeding population known in NH!"
Cool! This reminds me, I need to start a similar thread....

Oh, sorry. I did scan both New England and Backcountry to see if someone had already posted this link, and didn't see anything on the top page of either. I just saw it on a friend's Facebook page and thought this was news.

Brian

Yes, very cool. NH F&G acknowledges breeding pairs of lynx in northern Maine but never in NH, so this is new stuff. Maybe due to all the clear cutting going on up there?

I'd love to know where in Pittsburg those prints were found.

Prior to the Rt 2 reconstrcuton in Randolph, the state hired a tracker to determined the wildlife impact of the road work. The tracker found lynx tracks crossing route 2. At the time they siad it was mostly a male lynx out roaming.

The AMC Enivironmental Impact Statement required for huts relicensing several years ago, had to review the impact to a breeding population of lynx in the WMNF that the huts may cause. The conclusion was that Lynx visitied the area and were present on occasion but a long term viable breeding population was not possbile as there wasnt enough habitat to sustain a population during the low end of the snow shoe hare cycle.

The Maine lynx population has been found to be attracted to extensive clearcuts. I expect with the extensive Dillon clear cuts in the north country that the snowshoe hare population is exploding and possibly lynx will move in.