Moose Evidence in CT - Or at least really close!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
On our recent hike from MA to the Connecticut State High Point, we saw moose droppings only a few feet away from the marker. So, given CT was that close, and NY State less than 1/2 mile away, I guess that means Moose are sighted in all 3 states in that area from time to time?

I'm glad I found this article. The woman from NH was injured, I thought she was killed. Always thought it very ironic that she was from NH and was injured by a moose in CT. This accident was in lower CT. Most of the sightings are in NW CT. The only animals we "have none of" (that we could have, I guess) are cougar, boar and wolf. Someone will add some other odd-ball creature that we don't have, but moose are definately here.

I suppose (to keep this hiking related) hikers should be aware of the possibility of an encounter and how moose can sometimes react.

I have yet to see a moose or black bear in CT :mad: but I've missed them by minutes in many cases. I've got a game camera in the yard now and hope to get some pics, at least.

:mad::mad::mad:

It was only a matter of time.

I mentioned wild boar here a few years ago. There's a good program on Nat Geo or one of those about their spread across the states. Fascinating history. Devastating animal. If Audabon thinks deer damage bird habitat, wait until they see what boar can do. I hope our DEP labels them "Pest" as soon as there's a population.

"The wild pig is the most prolific large wild mammal in North America. Given adequate nutrition, a wild pig population can double in just 4 months. Feral hogs may begin to breed before 6 months of age, if they have a high-quality diet. Sows can produce 2 litters per year and young may be born at any time of the year. "

Extra Credit: Who first introduced wild boar/pig to North America/West Indies ?

Last edited:
Extra Credit: Who first introduced wild boar/pig to North America/West Indies ?
If we can believe Wikipedia:

"In 1493, Christopher Columbus brought 8 hogs to the West Indies. Importation to the American mainland was in the mid 16th century by Hernan Cortes and Hernando de Soto, and in the mid 17th century by Sieur de La Salle. Pure Eurasian boar were also imported there for sport hunting in the early 20th century."

Wild Boar???? Domestic Pig that was either a pet grown too big & set free or a farm animal someone grew attached & lost the heart & stomach for a freezer of ham, bacon & pork chops.

Lived next to a group of them for a while with a bad fence, they do dig a lot. (used to chase them back with a truck through the fields). Wife worked with a women who had a pot belly & a full size one like that one in her house. CT has been known to have peopel with weird pets.:rolleyes::eek:

2005, 2006 or 2007 almost hit a moose in MA on Route 23 (Blandford MA, south of the MA Pike) Western MA & CT is basically a corridor fro wild animals to travel, not much development outside of Waterbury, Winstead & Torrington centers. Bears we've had for several years, the ones in the NW corner don't get much press, thy are expected but occasionally one comes into the Hartford Suburbs. A couple of years ago, someone in SE CT had video of a bear at their birdfeeder.