Kahtoola Microspikes...When to change them out on the trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksearl

Reaction score
Okay, so a couple weekends back, I hiked South Moat (VFTT thread here), and used my Kahtoola Microspikes for the first time. Let me first say...they are one of the best investments I have ever made. What great traction they provide on packed down, icy and snowy trails...they are amazing!

My question, however, is how often do you pull them off and then put them back on...or at least what terrain? I noticed a lot of people wore them straight through, even when the trail was bare. I was worried I would hurt them (they are brand new), so I kept removing them when the snow went away and putting them back on when the snow showed back up. As you can imagine, it was a total pain in the neck and tiring with a full pack on.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to when you do take them off? Or does everyone pretty much where them throughout the whole hike if snow is present in different locations? What about ledge areas? I would assume the spikes dull quickly over this type of terrain...

Just curious and thanks in advance for your responses!

Karl

208057_1726208152556_1158978130_31543650_5222087_n.jpg

Took this snapshot of my new Kahtoolas on the trail.

I'm sure if you asked the manufacturer, they would say to NEVER walk on rocks, or even dirt, since dirt is usually just small rocks. :D

That being said, I don't always remove them every time either. I guess you will have to judge for yourself what the wear pattern looks like.

This issue also comes up with crampons and snowshoes. It is always a judgment call involving time lost to change the traction/flotation device, chance of catastrophic damage to the device, wear on the device, time lost to slower travel when the device is used on inappropriate terrain, difficulty using the device on inappropriate terrain, your guess of how far it will be to the next spot where you will need them, etc.

The advantage of microspikes is that they are reasonably easy, safe, and convenient to use when there is no ice underfoot yet still give a reasonable amount of traction on easy ice. While crampons give more capability on ice, they wear more (and likely break more often) on rock and gravel.

So basically use your judgement--there is no hard and fast rule. While I wouldn't put my Microspikes on unless there is good reason, I wouldn't take them off for a short gap in the ice/snow. And yes, they will wear out eventually.

Doug

I own Hillsound Trail Crampons which, aside from a few differences in construction, are similar to Microspikes.

I bought them last fall and wore them on a hike to Gothics (Adirondacks) last November. Nearing the summit, the crusty trail gave way to bare rock. I tried to baby them and stay on ice/snow or whatever "soft" surface was available.

After having lunch on the rocky summit, I tried to avoid stepping on bare rock and chose to step on snow that had collected in a deep crack. It was drift snow, my left foot punched through it, and I landed squarely, with full body-weight, on my right kneecap. The pain was immediate and intense. Fortunately the pain subsided, the injury was not serious, and I hiked out. However, the knee was tender for weeks.

What did I learn? My limbs are worth more to me than my gear. Because I tried to pussyfoot around and spare my spikes the indignity and horror of making contact with rock, I nearly fractured my kneecap.

I'm usually very careful with my gear but if it comes to a question of 'me or the gear', me wins. When they wear out, or break, I'll buy another pair. Until then, they'll have to do what I bought them for, namely keep my feet glued to ice, snow, frozen ground, and some occasional mud.

I wore my Trail Crampons throughout my last hike (Nippletop and Dial) and it involved mostly hard snow and ice. However, it finished with a descent over frozen ground. I didn't remove the spikes until I was back on level terrain.

CIMG1709.JPG

Marcy and I.

Last edited:
I tend to wear them straight through, which is why I carry both crampons and Micro’s. If I’m going from snow to rock and back, I will wear the micro’s, if I’m on snow/ice the whole way I will wear the crampons. The down side, after three years of heavy use and one sharpening, my micro’s are now relegated to snow blowing the driveway. I will pick up a new pair come fall.

Pretty much what others have said. They're not intended to be heirlooms.

Looking at it another way - one trip to urgent care/ER will more than cover the cost of a new pair in deductables/copayments alone.

Pretty much what others have said. They're not intended to be heirlooms.

Looking at it another way - one trip to urgent care/ER will more than cover the cost of a new pair in deductables/copayments alone.
Or three bottles of good wine.

It's also worth remembering that having crampons, microspikes, or snowshoes on your feet will tear up exposed dirt and ground a lot more than just your boots will. The decision about whether to take traction devices off for short stretches of bare ground isn't just one that should be based on considerations of personal safety and prevention of damage to your gear, but also on considerations of minimizing your impact as a recreational user of backcountry resources.

That being said, I'll usually keep snowshoes on for short stretches of exposed dirt, but I will make a conscious effort to tread carefully so as to minimize how much damage the crampons on my snowshoes does.

It's also worth remembering that having crampons, microspikes, or snowshoes on your feet will tear up exposed dirt and ground a lot more than just your boots will. The decision about whether to take traction devices off for short stretches of bare ground isn't just one that should be based on considerations of personal safety and prevention of damage to your gear, but also on considerations of minimizing your impact as a recreational user of backcountry resources.

That being said, I'll usually keep snowshoes on for short stretches of exposed dirt, but I will make a conscious effort to tread carefully so as to minimize how much damage the crampons on my snowshoes does.

They are very easy to take off compared to crampons, that being said, if I think I will need then again, mine stay on until I dont need them. As far as abusing the trail, thats what trails are for, then again Im not a follower of LNT.

I'm sure if you asked the manufacturer, they would say to NEVER walk on rocks, or even dirt, since dirt is usually just small rocks. :D

That being said, I don't always remove them every time either. I guess you will have to judge for yourself what the wear pattern looks like.

From their website:

"While our Kahtoola KTS Crampons are flexible and slightly more aggressive our MICROspikes® Traction System lets you travel safely and quickly across ice, scree, snow-covered driveways, wet rocks and anywhere else you just need a little more traction."

I will not hesitate to use them on short bare sections, and especially when crossing streams when the trail before and after is icy. I do try to tread gingerly when doing so.

From their website:

"While our Kahtoola KTS Crampons are flexible and slightly more aggressive our MICROspikes® Traction System lets you travel safely and quickly across ice, scree, snow-covered driveways, wet rocks and anywhere else you just need a little more traction."

I will not hesitate to use them on short bare sections, and especially when crossing streams when the trail before and after is icy. I do try to tread gingerly when doing so.
That proves they are bad marketeers! :eek:

My question, however, is how often do you pull them off and then put them back on...or at least what terrain?

Hi Ksearl,

Personally, I'm the most careful about avoiding rock and bare trail with my snowshoes (Denali Classics) since some parts are easily stressed and can break. Second are crampons (G10s), although it is inevitable to use them on rock sometimes. I try to avoid bare trail. I'm most careless with the micros and will use them on rocky stretches or bare stretches if I think they'll be needed ahead. They also work well for water crossings on slippery logs and I will put then on and off for that sometimes.

To echo others, I wouldn't expect many years out of micros like I would crampons or snowshoes.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for the feedback. It sounds like everyone agrees that safety should be held above gear. So, moving forward, I will most likely just keep my Microspikes on through the bare ground and possibly over rocks if needed...knowing I will need to replace my Kahtoolas in a couple years time. I'm assuming you can easily sharpen them too with a file to longer their life.

Thanks again everyone!
Karl

As far as abusing the trail, thats what trails are for, then again Im not a follower of LNT.

I'm sorry that you apparently haven't had the pleasure of hiking along a well-maintained and cared-for trail. Then again, if you do come across one, I hope you'll take a different path and leave it for those of us who will enjoy it.

I'm assuming you can easily sharpen them too with a file to longer their life.

Thanks again everyone!
Karl
I did sharpen mine this year. It was a PITA and not worth the effort, unless you have the patience of Job. I do however sharpen my crampons, which is a lot easier compared to Micros.

After wearing down the spikes on my Kahtoolas, I bought a pair of Hillsounds. I have used the Hillsounds only when the trails were well covered and have used the old microspikes when I knew I would be walking on trails mixed with ice and rock or bare ground. There is no question that wearing them on rocks wears the points down in a hurry and the difference in there effectiveness becomes noticeable.

Fall and Spring are times when you can put that old set to use.

I'm sorry that you apparently haven't had the pleasure of hiking along a well-maintained and cared-for trail. Then again, if you do come across one, I hope you'll take a different path and leave it for those of us who will enjoy it.

No, no, he's supposed to stay on the trail to minimize his impact! ;) :p

Oh I hiked a few trails, some rough "use trails" and some very well maintained and everything in between. In fact, I have for many years cleared alot of sticks and such and have cleaned hundreds of waterbars as I hike. But I also, do running descents in heavy boots, use crampons on dry trails in between ice and snow, use my poles on trails. They are made to use and abuse. The difference between me and you is, you use the trails and think your being gentle, but your use is just as bad and destructive as mine, if your that concerned maybe you should avoid the trails. Look, Im not trying to be antagonistic here, Im just honest and realistic, the mountains and thier trails are there for us to use, as you know or dont know, trails like the crawford path have been in exsitance for over a hundred years, hell, Ive done Pierce over a hundred times myself, hike that trail to pierce, is it still ok? thats my point. LNT is a debatable topic imo, its ok to build huts in alpine areas, lace a sensitive area LIke around the presi's with so many trails you get lost on the trails, but if I where my crampons on a dry trail in between some ice sections, I get people giving me a hard time. Fight the big fights and dont sweat the small stuff, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.