Foss Mountain in Eaton Protected

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
This is really good news.

Conway Daily Sun

Land trust conveys Foss Mountain tract to town of Eaton
By Tom Eastman
Apr 21, 2011 7:45 pm

EATON — It's been a big year for the Upper Saco Valley Land Trust, and the non-profit conservation organization last month celebrated its biggest achievement to date.

“We just signed off in March on our Foss Mountain project in Eaton,” said land trust president Tom Earle of South Conway.

The land trust successfully waged a year-long campaign to raise funds to acquire the 99-acre tract, located adjacent to the town of Eaton's 341-acre conservation lands, long renowned for its blueberry fields and 360-degree views.

“We essentially protected the ridge of Foss Mountain,” said Earle, a South Conway farmer and former member of the Conway Conservation Commission.

He said that in May 2009, the town of Eaton's board of selectmen and conservation commission requested the land trust's help to purchase and preserve the privately-held tract.

The purchase price was $320,000 but the fund-raising goal was $350,000 to cover the purchase and related transaction costs.

Full Story: http://www.conwaydailysun.com/featured/story/4-22-saco-valley-land-trust-conveys-foss-mountain-tract-town-eaton-0

It doesn't seem to come with a map so I can be sure what was added, but I think the town previously owned the blueberry fields while the actual highpoint in the woods was private.

A hike of a quarter-mile brings great views from that ridge - not many trails give so much for so little effort. This hazy view of the Ossipees to the SW may give you some idea:

595703711_egvQR-L-3.jpg

From signs there, some of the blueberry fields - the southern section approaching the wooded highpoint Roy mentions - are privately owned. Maybe they are part of this purchase.

No Effort great views

That is great news. Trailwrights did some rebuilding on the trail up to the ridge years ago,What an awsome view and definetly 360 views. thanks for the notice,I had not heard about it.

Roy I was lucky enough to do the surveying for the project. The new land is two parcels: one to the west of the town summit land and on to the southeast. The southeast portion covers the bare ridge that extends from the summit. Both parcels also take in quite a bit of land downslope of the summit.

The southeast portion covers the bare ridge that extends from the summit. Both parcels also take in quite a bit of land downslope of the summit.

So the wooded summit to the SE is not included?