North Conway Area and Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Has anyone been hiking in the N. Conway area lately? I plan on trying to hike some in the Green Hills and Kearsarge North this weekend. Not so much for me as my fiancée, I was wondering what the snow and mud on trail in that area might be like. I've yet to hike any in that area so don't know what the trails are like in spring.

Thanks

I hiked the 6-mile Middle Mtn.-Peaked Mtn. Loop on the Green Hills trail system back on April 2 and even then, it was more suited to boots than to snowshoes. (One young guy in track attire and running shoes blew by me near the top of Middle Mtn. as if it were mid-summer.) Maximum depth, on parts of the Peaked Mtn. Trail, was about one foot then, but mostly there was a lot less than that, with many bare spote. By now, it must be nearly all gone, although there will probably be some mud. If you are interested, here are some pix from that hike.

A general observation on Kearsage North is that the snow hangs around for awhile once you are in the spruce after the open ledges. There are usually at least three icy spots along the upper stretch. This trail get heavy use and the "rail" usually is very firm and fairly wide. In a few weeks it gets less so as the snow "rots" on either side. I would still recomend traction aids. South Moat is a good alternative to Kearsage North as the trail is more in the open and tends to melt out uniformly although there are a couple of spots that can retain snow.

Thanks for the info. Green Hills sounds doable. Still may consider Kearsarge North, we hit S. Moat last summer. We're looking for new stuff and she does have light traction.

Thanks again